Join Early Retirement Today

Sous Vide anyone?
Old 01-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sous Vide anyone?

Is there a steep learning curve?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Is there a steep learning curve?
Yes, the food needs steeping for a long time.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pretty easy. Getting the sear right is the toughest part.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Easier than conventional cooking IMO. I've had mine two years and swear by it. (In particular, cooking a steak to precisely the temp you want, wall-to-wall, is awesome.)

I did not buy a vacuum machine; I simply use the water displacement method, which has worked fine. Good luck!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just bought one before Christmas, there's some learning. I had to buy a cast iron pan to properly sear, and learn how to use it.

Actually other than learning the basics not much. Probably the most advanced topic is about if you want meats done at different temperatures. Easy to do once you understand how.

I'm fine tuning temperatures and time at this point. It really makes a difference in some foods. I've changed my thoughts on some food already. I used to eat filets rare, now I'm sold on a medium rare rib eye with the succulent fat. I did a pork shoulder for 22 hours and it was dreamy. I'd like to bath in the fat that rendered from it. Some testing of receipes is needed, for example while you can have chicken safely done at 140°F water, I didn't like it. Certainly had a different texture, I like 155° chicken better.

While the unit has bluetooth controls I don't use them. Another person who doesn't vacuum seal, I bought a resealable bag and use freezer ziploc bags water displaced.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What timing. I'm trying my first attempt as I type. Got some salmon that's been cooking under water for about 20 minutes.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There's many resources online. Check out Serious Eats or r/sousvide on Reddit. Anova has an app with receipes, temperatures, and times. Looks like it supports a "Make this Recipe" function. Someone probably still has to put everything together.

ETA: Reddit r/sousBBQ is interesting for BBQ enthusiasts. For the cannabis consumers r/sousweed has information on decarboxylation and infusion.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just ate my first meal cooked sous vide. Nothing fancy, a good sized salmon portion and asparagus. When I cook these using more regular methods, the salmon ends up too dried and the asparagus too mushy. So, they are a good test.

The good, that was probably the best cooked to perfection salmon I ever had. Not over or under cooked. The asparagus was delicious also.

The bad, a matter of timing. The salmon called for cooking at 133 degrees F for 40 minutes. The asparagus at 185 degrees F for 30 minutes. I cooked the salmon first. But the sous vide machine I'm using took (not sure if that's expected, or I just got a cheapo machine) so long to heat up from 133 degrees to 185 degrees.

By the time the asparagus was ready, I had already chowed down on the salmon and did the dishes. No kidding .

Still, that was a tasty meal, I must say .
Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Just ate my first meal cooked sous vide. Nothing fancy, a good sized salmon portion and asparagus. When I cook these using more regular methods, the salmon ends up too dried and the asparagus too mushy. So, they are a good test.

The good, that was probably the best cooked to perfection salmon I ever had. Not over or under cooked. The asparagus was delicious also.

The bad, a matter of timing. The salmon called for cooking at 133 degrees F for 40 minutes. The asparagus at 185 degrees F for 30 minutes. I cooked the salmon first. But the sous vide machine I'm using took (not sure if that's expected, or I just got a cheapo machine) so long to heat up from 133 degrees to 185 degrees.

By the time the asparagus was ready, I had already chowed down on the salmon and did the dishes. No kidding [emoji23].

At least with protein I cook the hotter food first, then cool it down with ice water. Add the cooler food, cooling the water down to the target and start cooking. The done, cooked at hotter temperatures food, doesn't cook any more it just stays warm while the other food cooks. This works within reason, I assume if you went hours on time it may be a problem. Don't know if this method works for asparagus, looks like it has a short cook time. Have to really cool it in ice water to not end up with mush.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Steaming asparagus (my fav method) with the fat tender spears takes less than 5 minutes. Might go as much as 7 to 8 with those skinny spears.

I don't like sous vide, did it once and tossed the "vider" in the trash.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
At least with protein I cook the hotter food first, then cool it down with ice water. Add the cooler food, cooling the water down to the target and start cooking. The done, cooked at hotter temperatures food, doesn't cook any more it just stays warm while the other food cooks. This works within reason, I assume if you went hours on time it may be a problem. Don't know if this method works for asparagus, looks like it has a short cook time. Have to really cool it in ice water to not end up with mush.
Never thought about that. Will have to try that tip next time. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #12

DW loves hers. We have done tri tip roasts, rib eye steaks and pork chops in ours. We did buy the little card that measures the thickness and tells you how long to cook based on the thickness and meat physical configuration.
BUT when we got our new BBQ, it has a 12,000 searing burner that DW has nicknamed "Wilma" from the Flintstones. She loves it. After removing the meat from the sous vide, she finishes it on the burner MMMM
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

By the time the asparagus was ready, I had already chowed down on the salmon and did the dishes. No kidding .

Remember, those times are likely a minimum. With sous-vide, you can go over in time, because the food isn't getting any hotter/doner. It's as done as it is going to get (though very long times could turn the food mushy, but that's hours for most things, not minutes).

To go from 133F to 185F, add boiling water (remove some water if needed). Unless you get a big commercial unit that runs on 220V, it just can't heat a large water bath very fast.

As far as learning curve: for foods you are going to sear, the 'trick' is a really fast sear, or you over-cook your perfectly cooked food. I actually ruined some nice steaks (from Costco - cooked two, froze two for later) on New Years Eve, as I did sous-vide, and then tried to sear them under the broiler, rather than a hot cast iron pan. Failure -it took so long to brown them that they were well done inside. Not good. No one was happy (new year).

But there is some good news. I saw an article from "Serious Eats", I learn a lot from "Kenji" there.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

He actually said steaks are better done in a slow oven (200F~250F) for about 30-40 minutes to 110F~115F, then sear. The low oven dries the surface, so they sear better. I used that technique on the frozen steaks from Costco (same ones I ruined NYE), and they were excellent, really, really good. By putting a cover on the pan, I didn't even set off the smoke alarm (which is too close to the kitchen). I've also seared steaks with a MAPP torch (a step up from the normal propane pipe soldering torch) - it was fun, but takes a while for two steaks. A fiercely hot cast iron pan is better and faster.

How to try sous-vide w/o buying any new equipment:
OK, here's a manual method that I've done that takes a little baby-sitting, but it will give you a taste of what sous-vide can do.

A) Add hot tap water to a cooler. Add boiling water or cool water to hit the temperature you need.

B) Add your food in a sealed bag, air squeezed out (submerge it carefully, then seal, the water weight will push out the air).

C) Cover with some blankets/towels. Check the temperature and add some boiling water as needed.

D) Proceed as with any sous-vide recipe.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #14

If you want to try to DIY on the cheap first, an old friend of mine did it with just a cooler and a thermometer, not even an immersion circulator: Wet Work | Portable Chef

You can always buy one of those immersion circulators later.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just can't get past the idea of cooking food surrounded in plastic. Everything I've read cautions against heating things up in plastic because the chemicals leach into the food. Are there any alternatives to plastic bags/wraps that would work?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Just got a Sous Vide a couple of weeks ago. We've done fish a couple of times - great. We've done steaks a couple of times - great. Pork Chops once - ok. We've done 2 different kinds of roasts - so-so. Lots of recipes online with temps and cooking times running the gamut. There is a bit of a learning curve in learning temps and cooking times.

We since bought a Sous Vide rack and plastic immersion tub. The tub is huge, So I bought a smaller plastic bin to cook in.

Still have a lot to learn on cooking times, temps, what seasonings to put in the bags, and how best to sear after cooking.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #17
gone traveling

I don’t get it.
I put a steak in our Miele oven at 110°F and walk away for 2-3 hours.
Steak is then ready for the reverse sear method. I use a small Lodge skillet.
What is sous vide going to add?
I have precise temperature control and do not have to buy (find storage space for) another appliance.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm anxiously awaiting the Grill Gun to show up on a legitimate pay source like Amazon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...te-grill-torch

I'm not convinced everyone on kickstarter is going to get what they bought, as it's just a trust me app.

I think the gun is the one thing I'm missing that will make this an incredibly simple process from start to finish.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Steaming asparagus (my fav method) with the fat tender spears takes less than 5 minutes. Might go as much as 7 to 8 with those skinny spears.

I don't like sous vide, did it once and tossed the "vider" in the trash.
Doesn't appeal to me either.

I can cook a terrific steak on the gas grill or roasted in a cast iron pan in the oven. Get a lovely Maillard reaction - beautiful outside, perfectly done rare/medium rare inside. Use the pan drippings with a little cognac to make a sauce or sauté mushrooms while the steaks rest.

I like grilling, roasting, smoking and instant pot for some items. Sauté as well of course.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just can't get past the idea of cooking food surrounded in plastic. Everything I've read cautions against heating things up in plastic because the chemicals leach into the food. Are there any alternatives to plastic bags/wraps that would work?

IMHO, the temps used for sous vide are likely too low for this to be an issue, but YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote