DH signed up for Medicare Plan G today!

Just to pile on in agreement, my DW was on her megacorp “discounted” Advantage plan only until I retired 1- year later. I signed up for the plan discussed on this thread (med supplement from UHC/AARP, plan G) plus Part D coverage for prescriptions. Seems my rate was a bit cheaper than DW’s, even with her employer 20-yr retiree rate. Only those retirees with 25 and up seniority received significantly higher subsidies. 20 yr was peanuts.
As I was very happy with my coverage and ease with which medical bills are handled, we switched her over and we are both on the UHC/AARP Plan G option.
So far, very pleased.
Dental coverage at an affordable rate would certainly be appreciated but alas, the only reasonably priced dental we liked was a dental discounted program, costing each of us roughly $100 annually. Dentist knocks about 20-25% off standard (ripoff) rates, which makes me want to believe is a real discount lol.
And, I agree that information available on this site far exceeds the thoroughness and accuracy of any others I am aware of. A lot of good people around here!

Anyone know if CIGNA does the close the book routine ?

All the majors except UHC, BCBS, State Farm and USAA (doesn't require military affiliation) close their books. This is not an issue if you live in a state that lets you change Medigap plans without underwriting.

Your post says you are in Louisiana. Their Medigap 'Birthday Rule' lets you switch to the same or lesser letter plan at 'affiliates of the same insurer'. You can switch to a new book/affiliate with lower rates within the Cigna group of companies.

Definitely have to join AARP first. If you have a partner who isn’t on Medicare yet, sign your partner up too. The first of you to go on this plan will automatically get a discount, and when the second one goes on, the discount increases.

I will be signing up for Plan G later this year, and AARP/UHC is one of my top two contenders. Since you have to be a AARP member, doesn't this mean that everyone gets the first discount? Or are you saying that there is a further discount if my DW is on my AARP membership even though she is not Medicare age yet?

I will be signing up for Plan G later this year, and AARP/UHC is one of my top two contenders. Since you have to be a AARP member, doesn't this mean that everyone gets the first discount? Or are you saying that there is a further discount if my DW is on my AARP membership even though she is not Medicare age yet?

What I’m saying is that DH gets an initial discount by being an AARP member. I don’t think it matters that I signed up for AARP this year, because I won’t be eligible for Medicare until next year. However, once I am eligible, the discount will be higher if I am also an AARP member. I think it goes from 3% to 5% but perhaps someone who is actually in the situation of having both spouses on the AARP/UHC plan can comment further or clarify if my understanding is not quite correct.

I know I said this in the OP, but I so agree with other posters about the information on this website being so much better than what you can get anywhere else. It’s thorough, it’s based on real people who have experienced the situation us newbies are facing, and it’s accurate. Plus it is explained clearly and concisely. Members of this group helped DH and me demystify and uncomplicate our decision re DH’s Medigap coverage so much!! Thank you again to those who took the time to post and explain how things have worked or not worked well for them.

I want to pass along my thanks also. I signed up for AARP/UHC Plan G and Part D Wellcare last September, thanks in large part to info from E-R board posters. So far it has been smooth sailing!

The discount for a second family member who is an AARP member on the same membership number apparently varies by state. When I called this week to enroll in Plan G, the UHC representative told me that discount for California residents is 7%.

I want to pass along my thanks also. I signed up for AARP/UHC Plan G and Part D Wellcare last September, thanks in large part to info from E-R board posters. So far it has been smooth sailing!

I'm curious if anybody has compared the Wellcare Part D coverage to Aetna's Silver Script plan ??

I don't see Physicians Mutual being mentioned. My husband moved from Humana Plan F to Physicians Mutual Plan F last year during the birthday rule and saved about $70 per month. He picked issue age because while he pays more initially (age 75), the increases will be smaller in the future. We have both attained age and issue plans available in Nevada.

You need to be an AARP member first.

They actually signed me up without being an active AARP member (and it states as much on the application) but I went ahead and signed up for one year after my policy started because I didn't want them to cancel me. My husband has had an AARP/UHC Plan N plan for 9 years and I think he was only an AARP member for the first year or two.

They actually signed me up without being an active AARP member (and it states as much on the application) but I went ahead and signed up for one year after my policy started because I didn't want them to cancel me. My husband has had an AARP/UHC Plan N plan for 9 years and I think he was only an AARP member for the first year or two.

Your husband being on the AARP plan same household may have done it.

If you never heard of Boomer Benefits, you should look into them. Call and they will ask you questions and give you options. Thing is with BB, if you have an issue with a claim being turned down, call them and they will do the leg work for you in getting it rectified. This frees up lots of time on your end. I have been reading about BB on other retirement sites, and EVERYONE is extremely pleased with their services. I will be using them later this year when I qualify.

Back
Top Bottom