Southern Rock

Question - clearly southern rock is dominated by male artists. Any women you can name that fit in this genre?

Question - clearly southern rock is dominated by male artists. Any women you can name that fit in this genre?
Bonnie Raite (sp?) is southern but i can't think of a southern female band.

The genre called "southern rock" doesn't really include SRV, per se, since there wasn't much country or rockabilly influence in his music. Early ZZ Top qualifies, but the later stuff not so much.

Stretching it a bit, the connections go all the way from Carl Perkins and Elvis and Johnny Cash to Buffalo Springfield and the Byrds to Lowell George and Little Feat to The Flying Burrito Brothers and Poco and the Eagles. John Hartford played on Sweethearts of the Rodeo, then created the seminal newgrass album Aerioplane. Members of the Eagles were briefly Linda Ronstadt's back-up band. Jackson Browne co-wrote Take It Easy, and was briefly a member of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Other bands like Lovin' Spoonful, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and the Band, to name a few, incorporated a country sound into their rock sound. Hank Jr., Travis Tritt, Marty Stewart, David Allen Coe, and many others were more "country", but definitely were influenced by rock and country and blues.

So, while not strictly "southern Rock", the mixture of rock, blues, and country influenced southern rock and rock in general from the very earliest days...

Speaking of women...

Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman - YouTube

Bonnie Raitt "Pride And Joy" - YouTube

Miranda Lambert - Kerosene - YouTube

Wynonna singing Rock N Roll - YouTube

Last edited:
How about some "Northern Rock"?
Canada's Tom Cochrane:

[youtube]Gg8o6SfgCk0[/youtube]

I got heavily into Southern Rock in college (I went to a tech school, but due to a housing anomaly, lived at a party school), which afterward, due to some particularly manure-kicking banjo/fiddle tracks, lead me to an appreciation and interest in Bluegrass.

Barefoot Jerry
Charlie Daniels Band*
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Eagles*
Flying Burrito Brothers*
Little Feat
Marshall Tucker Band
NRPS (with Jerry Garcia)*
Outlaws
Pure Prairie League*
Poco

*Saw in concert in mid '70s

Tyro

Jason Isbell solo is also really good, but less rockin'.

Jason Isbell - Dress Blues (Live at Saxon Pub) - YouTube

He's been working with my favorite Americana band, just put together their latest album Burn.Flicker.Die. Great if you haven't heard them, American Aquarium (they of the cute pedal steel guitar player of another thread). This was at Floydfest, the festival we go to every year, though I didn't do the filming.
American Aquarium - "Northern Light" - YouTube

He's been working with my favorite Americana band, just put together their latest album Burn.Flicker.Die. Great if you haven't heard them, American Aquarium (they of the cute pedal steel guitar player of another thread). This was at Floydfest, the festival we go to every year, though I didn't do the filming.
American Aquarium - "Northern Light" - YouTube

Channeling some Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Not rock, (and I didn't know where else to put it), but it's an oldie that always gives me a chuckle:

[youtube]9QJIeW0GxNc[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom