Space - The Final Frontier

WOW..... just WOW!!!!

It is interesting that I now have a nephew that works for a rival rocket company... hope to get some info on what he does at some time....

When it first entered the frame I thought for sure it was a failure.
I thought it was way to fast and too far off vertical.

Absolutely amazing and very cool to watch!

I am always amazed and thrilled when any of the space craft/rockets are launched. Stupid but I keep my fingers crossed for luck.

The CRS-8 launch is now being broadcast live.

CRS-8 Dragon on Livestream

or

I have to say that SpaceX has put an end to the idea that engineers are nerdy, unattractive and socially inept people (not that they ever were in reality). What a great group of intelligent young people! They give me hope.

I was thinking the same thing, a pretty woman and two very good looking guys,were the main announcers. If any organization can make being an engineer cool it is Spacex. I loved how they made a point of talking about it is ok if it ends up in a big fiery ball of flame, we still get valuable data.

I thought it probably was going to be ok when it made an almost 20 degree correction to vertical about 30' above the drone ship.

SpaceX launches are the ultimate in reality TV!

I was thinking the same thing, a pretty woman and two very good looking guys,were the main announcers. If any organization can make being an engineer cool it is Spacex. I loved how they made a point of talking about it is ok if it ends up in a big fiery ball of flame, we still get valuable data.

I thought it probably was going to be ok when it made an almost 20 degree correction to vertical about 30' above the drone ship.

SpaceX launches are the ultimate in reality TV!

+1

Very exciting. I'm too old to want to work for a guy like Elon. He's high energy and i am no longer. But love what is happening at Spacex. Hope for the future indeed!

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

+1.

I admire the guy (pretty much the only one) and much respect for the entire team that's working for him.

But I wouldn't want to be him or work for him.

+1.

I admire the guy (pretty much the only one) and much respect for the entire team that's working for him.

But I wouldn't want to be him or work for him.

DD's best friend's SO works for him. He is a 20-something engineer. Incredibly long hours from what I hear.

DD's best friend's SO works for him. He is a 20-something engineer. Incredibly long hours from what I hear.

My friend's son is an early 30's engineer with Tesla. He was one of the first few hundred employees there and now is in charge of the battery system for Model III. Dad pumps him for information, but smart son keeps his mouth shut:)

He did share this story with his dad about Elon. A few weeks ago they had a big design review on the battery system. The Telsa motto is "no unnecessary grams, no wasted millimeters" (A motto which sounds more like something a rocket ship company would worry about than a car company, but that is Elon). The motto was something, Elon told my friend in the 2nd of the three interview he had with him. (My friend has a Master in mechanical engineer from Stanford, a top notch athlete, very personable and probably could get a job at any company in the Valley within 30 minutes of interviewing except at Tesla)

In the few hours between the finalized the powerpoint and the presentation, the team discovered there was some unused space in the drawings. During the review, he showed the slide, and told Elon, "Stop, I know what you are going to say, this is last night design, here is this morning design, see no white space." He said he got a laugh out of Elon, which made his month.

This could be very interesting:

Thank heavens for SpaceX and Musk.

I visited Kennedy Space Center a couple of years ago and it was pretty depressing. That's the departure hub for NASA's manned space programs but instead of feeling futuristic the visitor center was almost entirely a tribute to 40+ year old accomplishments.

Glad to see someone stepping up and pushing forward. It's long past time we got out there again.

Last edited:

I visited Kennedy Space Center a couple of years ago and it was pretty depressing. That's the departure hub for NASA's manned space programs but instead of feeling futuristic the visitor center was almost entirely a tribute to 40+ year old accomplishments.

Glad to see someone stepping up and pushing forward. It's long past time we got out there again.

Amen.

heh heh heh - :cool:

1966 - 1996. It wasn't work. We were just lucky to be there in that period of history.

heh heh heh - :dance: :D :greetings10:

As Mr. Musk has tweeted, you wouldn't want to ride to Mars in a dragon capsule since the inside is about the size of an SUV. But, getting it to Mars and successfully landing it would be an accomplishment.

I would love to see an advanced propulsion systems that could cut the time of the trip down to say 4-6 weeks. Granted, that is not an easy task, but a quicker trip would makes things safer and easier: less food, water, air to carry, less exposure to solar radiation, easier to get somebody back quickly if needed, etc.

1966 - 1996. It wasn't work. We were just lucky to be there in that period of history.

heh heh heh - :dance: :D :greetings10:

Once I met some of the old timers at materials science function. They used to tell me how they had to wait until 8 am until they could start work. They were so jazzed about their work that they would jump the fence and break in so that they could get an early start. I liked my engineering career fine but I was never that enthusiastic.

That's what we're talking about!

Here here!

It also puts my own (and most peoples) meagre accomplishments firmly in perspective. But that's ok.

If just a handful of people (out of 7 billion) can do that, imagine the untapped potential we all have. Seems humanity (me included) suffers from a very deep lack of faith in our capabilities and commitment to achieve wonders.

It gives me a mix of hope, pride and sadness at the same time. Hope and pride Elon is doing this, sadness that he's an exception amidst the Ubers, Facebooks, Instagrams and investment banks (to name a few in my view) who claim to be changing the world, but aren't really in a positive meaningful way.

I was stuck in the Huntsville, AL area for work a couple weeks ago but found a few hours to visit the Nasa Space & Rocket Center there. A fair bit of it is oriented toward kids but I still enjoyed it a lot. There were Shuttle and various military exhibits, but my main interest was the old Apollo stuff. I ran into a staff volunteer who had been a Saturn propulsion engineer and he talked with me for over an hour.

When I was finally on the plane to go home (near Detroit) I pulled out the latest issue of Air & Space magazine to read and quickly hit an ad for Spacefest VII in Tuscon in June. I was not even aware that there was an astronauts' convention going on like this and when I got home DW and I made a quick decision to go. I think it will be a blast(off).

Attachments

• Sat V.jpg
    Sat V.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2nd Stage.jpg
    2nd Stage.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 7
Ho Hum..... Another successful 1st stage landing on "Of course I still love you".

Of course, this one the first stage was coming in at twice the speed as the previous landing, which required four times as much energy to slow the descent, and eight times as much heat had to be dissipated.

Their webcast are getting increasingly educational and professional. Between playing Kerbal Space program and watching their webcast, I think I've learned and ten times as much about rocket science as I have in my previous 50 years of being a space geek.

Chv_7nDU4AUDQjs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom