SPAM Fans?

"Spam with bacon" tastes the best to me but is expensive enough that I don't stock it.

I've always considered it a viable alternative to starvation, but just barely.

I just put on my SPAM tee shirt I got at the SPAM museum a few years back! The museum is, of course, in Austin, Mn., where SPAM was invented. It’s worth a stop.

I haven't had spam in decades. I would slice it, fry it up with an egg, make an egg/'bacon' sandwich, maybe add some cheese.

At a glance, it looks like it is lower in sodium than bacon (by weight, cooked).

I'll pick some up, though I know it will freak DW out. Spam really isn't anything weird, it's just pork shoulder, cooked in the can (like many canned food products - it sanitizes them).

Spam's basic ingredients are primarily pork shoulder and ham,[3] with salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative).

-ERD50

I never hated Spam but probably only ate it once every year or two... Until going to Hawaii for the first time in 2021. We've been to Hawaii several times since and have enjoyed many different versions of Spam musubi. .

*1. Love Spam musubi! Spam is a guilty pleasure food for me, on several levels (tho not because of the salt) so I don’t normally buy. But maybe I’ll try to make my own musubi.

Funny how so many of the replies talk about eating it for breakfast, with eggs. It is good cubed up and cooked with onions, then put in scrambled eggs and cheese.

Funny how so many of the replies talk about eating it for breakfast, with eggs. It is good cubed up and cooked with onions, then put in scrambled eggs and cheese.

So the other staple is grilled SPAM burgers with pineapple and BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's). The sweet in the pineapple counters the salt in the SPAM.

Another is stir fry with rice and veggies, just like in the current TV commercials.

I love it. So does DH. And our boys consider it a breakfast treat - fried crispy with eggs.

We're going camping in the scooby van next week - this is a reminder to toss a can in our food box for breakfast one morning.

*1. Love Spam musubi! Spam is a guilty pleasure food for me, on several levels (tho not because of the salt) so I don’t normally buy. But maybe I’ll try to make my own musubi.

You really need a mold to make proper spam musubi. They are cheap on Amazon. And use sushi rice not long grain!

In fact I'm making a batch now. 1 cup of rice, 1 can of spam, 3 sheets of nori, some furikake and sauce makes 6 delicious musubi.

Don't ever let a local from Hawaii hear you say that recipe. There is a VERY strict rule that the spam is to be cut into exactly 8 slices when making musubi. So unless you are throwing out 1/4 of the can, you are cutting it too thick! But I'll never tell.

I love spam, but I have battled overweight for most of my life (mostly unsuccessfully), and it's way too fattening for someone like me. In the past 20 years I have probably had no more than 1-2 cans of spam.

Some day I might buy a can of it for "hurricane food". But then, who would I be fooling! :2funny:

Growing up in the islands long, long ago, my mother used to fry spam and eggs and fresh pineapple in a skillet for breakfast.

Some day I might buy a can of it for "hurricane food". But then, who would I be fooling! :2funny:

And by hurricane food I hope you mean it's fair game as long as there is a hurricane (broadly defined as tropical cyclone), somewhere on the planet at the time, regardless of whether it is over land or in your hemisphere...

I live in Hawaii. I keep a few cans in my hurricane kit in my car, not necessarily to eat but...barter baby! Gold coins are useless here. Spam has value!

I’ve never tasted spam. After reading so many posts, maybe I need to give it a try. Diced and fried until crispy with scrambled eggs sounds tasty.

It's VERY popular in Hawaii- not sure why.

I've enjoyed Spam (Something Posing As Meat) all my life, and it got me through college to some degree (couldn't afford much better food). I really don't worry about the sodium content, although I realize that horrifies many.

I even visited the Spam Museum in Austin, MN a number of years ago; worth a stop if you're in the area. I also make Spam musubi at home at least a couple of times a year.

Although it's extremely popular in Hawaii (7 million cans a year), Guam consumes far more on a per capita basis, at 16 cans per person per year.

I love spam, but I have battled overweight for most of my life (mostly unsuccessfully), and it's way too fattening for someone like me. In the past 20 years I have probably had no more than 1-2 cans of spam.

Growing up in the islands long, long ago, my mother used to fry spam and eggs and fresh pineapple in a skillet for breakfast.
And by hurricane food I hope you mean it's fair game as long as there is a hurricane (broadly defined as tropical cyclone), somewhere on the planet at the time, regardless of whether it is over land or in your hemisphere...

Exactly! :ROFLMAO: You never know when that tropical cyclone might make a beeline for your refrigerator and destroy all your food, but spam will save the day. :LOL:

I live in Hawaii. I keep a few cans in my hurricane kit in my car, not necessarily to eat but...barter baby! Gold coins are useless here. Spam has value!
Very smart! People here in Louisiana don't like spam so it wouldn't be any good for bartering here.

Exactly! :ROFLMAO: You never know when that tropical cyclone might make a beeline for your refrigerator and destroy all your food, but spam will save the day. :LOL:

Very smart! People here in Louisiana don't like spam so it wouldn't be any good for bartering here.

You might need a jar of filet, or maybe chitlins!

Only kind of off-topic but I read a book years ago by Oliver Sacks, a famed neurologist and author. The book was called "Island of the Colorblind." He went to various Pacific islands researchin and treating victims of a genetic colorblindness on Pohnpei, a small Pacific island that was almost decimated in antiquity so everyone now is closely related. The book also delves into the cycadism sickness unique to Guam.

In any case, on one of his trips his seatmate on the plane was the man who secured the Spam distribution rights to the Pacific Islands in the 1970s. Suffice it to say, the man was very rich!

YIPPIE..... Love having a penny-pinching, bargain hunting wife... Always looking out for a deal. Even though she wont eat spam, she put the ingredient list on her radar and brought me home some work to do....
1st was a PITA... 5 lb tub of real butter for $8. The joy in splitting up and vac-u-seal to freeze.
Boston Butts @$0.99/lb, Ham shank @ $1.39/Lb. Make it around $0.80 a can

Potted meat used to be a major preservation technique. Basically hot cooked meat is packed tightly in a pot to get the air out and sealed with hot fat to kill molds and bacteria.

Duck confit is an example of this food genre.

So it’s not surprising that when food canning techniques became widespread that potted meat was one of them.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Koolau hasn't posted here yet! Oh, yeah- it's VERY early in Hawaii.

It's VERY popular in Hawaii- not sure why. I was on small-ship cruise there and one of the passengers bought Spam-flavored macadamia nuts. Spam with rice and scrambled eggs on the side was one of the breakfast offerings one morning. Few partook of it. I had a veggie omelet.

When I was a kid Mom served it broiled with pineapple and I liked it, but now due to the salt and fat content and my general avoidance of meat, I haven't had it in decades.

Late to the party, but you are correct. Spam is big in the Islands. Never a fan myself and I think it is highly over priced for what you get. If you can find the low-salt, it's even more expensive! We typically have a number of different flavors of Spam available - though I've only tried a couple and am not impressed. Lots of local "sushi" gets made with Spam - go figure!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom