Speaking of cars...

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The past couple of months or so, DH has been looking at older model Corvettes on the internet. He likes the 68 - 70 models.

Anyway, yesterday he and I went shopping and we just happened to stop by a showroom with the 2008 model. Uh, we were just looking, but the nice salesman came out and let us sit in it. Ok so we both fell in love.

24 hours later, DH realizes that he will have to work 1 more year if we buy this buggy and all of a sudden, our current ride is all we need. :D

Ah...temptation.....

often all it takes is a test drive or lease one for a few days to get the urge out of your system.

I was in the car business for over 30 years and always drove new cars. Having a choice to drive a new car or work another year is a no brainer to me. My 98 Taurus looks better and better as it ages, hope to keep it till it has antique plates.

73ss454: What should we be forewarned of? What can the buyer negotiage out of? (for real)

73ss454: What should we be forewarned of? What can the buyer negotiage out of? (for real)

First of all I would say to call Cars Direct and get a price on the car you want. This will give you a good starting point and you can usually buy the car a little lower than the Cars Direct price if you shop the dealers.

If you are financing the car find out about any special programs on the car you want. If they have a 1.9% or somthing like that it would pay to take the rate instead of the rebate. Sometimes it pays to take the rebate and shop the rate at a credit union or maybe Pen Fed. You'll have to do some math to see what's the best way to go. Also sometimes you can get both but that's not up to the dealer it's always the manufacturer who sets the programs.

As far as aftermarket items the only on I believe in is the extended warranties. Make sure if you choose this option you buy only the manufacturers program. Many dealers sell insurance company warranties and in most cases you'll run into problems when you have a repair. You can also shop the prices for these items on the internet. Many times the dealer will make more on the warranty than the car so be carefull.

As far a the salespeople go. Well years ago they were in it for the long haul and made a good living. Over the years the dealers started to figure out ways to rip the salespeople off so there's not too many good salespeople left in the business. Most get paid $50 to $75 flats on new cars. On used cars the profits are higher but the dealers add what's known as packs to the cost so the salespeople make less. This is why salespeople jump from one dealer to another. It's hard to find a good gig in the car business for salespeople.

Last edited:
First of all I would say to call Cars Direct and get a price on the car you want. This will give you a good starting point and you can usually buy the car a little lower than the Cars Direct price if you shop the dealers.
Good advice......

If you are financing the car find out about any special programs on the car you want. If they have a 1.9% or somthing like that it would pay to take the rate instead of the rebate. Sometimes it pays to take the rebate and shop the rate at a credit union or maybe Pen Fed. You'll have to do some math to see what's the best way to go. Also sometimes you can get both but that's not up to the dealer it's always the manufacturer who sets the programs.

How do you find out about dealer cash?

As far as aftermarket items the only on I believe in is the extended warranties. Make sure if you choose this option you buy only the manufacturers program. Many dealers sell insurance company warranties and in most cases you'll run into problems when you have a repair. You can also shop the prices for these items on the internet. Many times the dealer will make more on the warranty than the car so be carefull.

You and I have debated this before, so no re-hashing by me..........;)

As far a the salespeople go. Well years ago they were in it for the long haul and made a good living. Over the years the dealers started to figure out ways to rip the salespeople off so there's not too many good salespeople left in the business. Most get paid $50 to $75 flats on new cars. On used cars the profits are higher but the dealers add what's know as packs to the cost so the salespeople make less. This is why salespeople jump from one dealer to another. It's hard to find a good gig in the car business for salespeople.

This is a sad but true fact. Dealers continue to screw the salespeople year after year. One dealer in town puts a $1500 "pack" on their used cars, and doesn't pay the salesman on it.............:p

Well, no real way to find about dealer cash. Many in the dealer don't even know about it. But if you price via Cars Direct or some such internet car seller you'll get pretty close to the real price. Many times the Managers in the dealers give the prices to all on line sellers, this way they don't have to pay the salespeople. So most rebates and dealer cash will be figured into the price you get from the online sellers.

Edmunds.com and some other sites have most rebates but it's hard for them to get dealer cash. Many dealers roll the dice on dealer cash monies. Let's say the dealer will get $500 a car for a certain model if they sell 50 of that model in a certain month. The dealer will price in the $500 in the begining of the month to move more cars. But if they don't hit the 50 cars they lose so it's hard to always take advantage of these discounts as a consumer. The best way is to buy the car the last day of the month.

Well, no real way to find about dealer cash. Many in the dealer don't even know about it. But if you price via Cars Direct or some such internet car seller you'll get pretty close to the real price. Many times the Managers in the dealers give the prices to all on line sellers, this way they don't have to pay the salespeople. So most rebates and dealer cash will be figured into the price you get from the online sellers.

Edmunds.com and some other sites have most rebates but it's hard for them to get dealer cash. Many dealers roll the dice on dealer cash monies. Let's say the dealer will get $500 a car for a certain model if they sell 50 of that model in a certain month. The dealer will price in the $500 in the begining of the month to move more cars. But if they don't hit the 50 cars they lose so it's hard to always take advantage of these discounts as a consumer. The best way is to buy the car the last day of the month.

As you know, I was posing a rhetorical question about the dealer cash.........I find out because I still have friends in the business.........:D

Normally how many people working on the sales end in a dealership know about dealer cash. The owner, GM, SM, comptroler, F&I. So unless your friends are one of those it's hard to know. The average salesperson doesn't have a clue about it. Also not every dealer is going to roll the dice that they'll hit the boggy so they don't give up the dealer cash till the # is hit or close. That among other reasons is why I say buy the car the last day of the month.

Sort of like 12B1 fees in your industry. (heh)

Normally how many people working on the sales end in a dealership know about dealer cash. The owner, GM, SM, comptroler, F&I. So unless your friends are one of those it's hard to know. The average salesperson doesn't have a clue about it. Also not every dealer is going to roll the dice that they'll hit the boggy so they don't give up the dealer cash till the # is hit or close. That among other reasons is why I say buy the car the last day of the month.

I don't know any salespeople, just new and used car managers, F&I, and a couple GMs..............;)

Back
Top Bottom