spinach

There are some conflicting reports out there. DW nixed a green salad (no spinach) last night because she had seen a report that other packaged salads were now suspect. Today she heard a report saying that it was just spinach, but that the source of contamination was ground water while at almost the same time I read a story that the grower claimed that their crop had been found to be clear of e coli and they were looking at the processing facility as a source. For dinner last night I had to resort to chopped cucumbers and peppers.

I have eaten some bagged salads that have sent me to the toilet. :p  I do like steam broccoli and raw carrots. I'll stick with those 2 for a while.  :-\

As of today's L.A. Times, Federal and state officials say no specific source of contamination has been identified. "Testing will begin this week in Calif. fields that may have produced the tainted spinach, based on bar codes on the packaging." So I don't think any grower can say they have been cleared yet.

I recommend a lovely tomato and mild white onion salad, dressed with black pepper, kosher salt, fresh squeezed lime juice, and a bit of good olive oil. Zesty!

Sarah

HFWR said:
And they could saw a roll of tp in half... :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: Dang, it looks like I'll have to go back to my old liquid diet: Beer w/ a chaser of Ensure.

Or I could buy one of those old stamp machines, saw the tp roll into one inch wide rolls, load it, put it on the bathroom wall, and give DW some dimes and nickels. Or she could find her own coins. Ooh-ooh, this could be a money maker for me--pay tp.

"I'm strong to finish, cuz I eats my spinich, I'm Popeye the sailor man..toot, toot."

DW and I have been enjoying fresh spinich in saland and occasionally just boiled with a little butter and parmo-cheeze sprinkled on top for quite a while. We're back to lettuce salads now as we really do not like **** in the salad.

Hey, but that's us. 8)

They are reporting around 100 people infected by this (and do they really know, or are they counting everyone with e coli who's eaten salad?), with a couple million pounds sold every day, so maybe 20-60 million sold during the time they are talking about. I think you're odds are reasonably good.

Ahoy, I've figured out how not t' get sick from eatin' spinach.

Wash it down with a bottle o'rum.  Aye, that will keep you from dyin'

Martha said:
I want my spinach.  I hate lettuce.  All my salads are spinach salads.  How will I live.  :'(

Grow your own:confused:

Throw the spinach out, we did. One of my work buddies got E Coli once. You don't really know what it's like until you (or someone you know) gets it. Its so uncommon that it scares the ... well, scares the sh!t out of you (Pun intended) - when you actually see someone with it.

It got him less than 24 hrs. after ingestion, IIRC. He came to work the first day. Went to the bathroom 10-15 times per hour. Made it two hours, then went to the doctor.

They said "good thing he was young and healthy". It was traced to a truck that broke down and the meat spoiled. He bought it from someone that came to his door. You'd think that'd ring a bell (no pun intended). Door to door meat sales? Hello? He got his money refunded and medical co-pays refunded by the meat co.

-CC

Martha said:
Too late for this year. All my crops are done.  Need to wait for May.  :) 

I start planting spinach and other lettuces every year in October. Most years it grows all winter long, covered with a sheet when it gets to freezing a few times overnight. Can't grow it in summer.

from
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4196776.html

"Farmers do what are called 'speed-ups,' where they push workers to work faster and harder," said Marc Grossman, spokesman for the United Farm Workers union. "Sometimes the workers feel under pressure to get that day's job done and don't take their bathroom breaks, especially if the facilities are far away from where they're working."

If they can't take their bathroom breaks, and they have to go . . . guess where?  :-X

:-X :-X :-X
This whole thing has turned me off bagged salads of any type. I am going to grow my own lettuce and spinach next year, but I agree, Martha, it could be a long winter.

We have been eating sliced tomatos from the garden instead of salad. Adding a cuke, avacado, carrots.... probably healthier than lettuce anyway.

I do feel a little sorry for the lettuce growers.

Prunes won't be a problem if they are first washed, then dried in a commercial setting.  Cantalopes maybe (there have been problems in the past - they really should be washed with soap throughly before cutting).

What few of you realize is that porta-potties are relatively new fixtures in agriculture.  In my youth field hands would use informal outhouses at the edge of fields routinely. 

Lettuce was harvested by the head, consumers would remove several levels of leaves and wash well before preparing for the table.  Spinich was cooked not because of sanitary concerns, but because we routinely cooked the food value out of the vegtable (maybe because many of us learned to cook from the English  :().  Our mothers lectured us daily about washing our hands... watch any old health film from the post-WWII period. 

Now we trust much than our parents that raw fruits and vegies don't have bad-nasties.  I recall in the 70s when the daughter of a co-worker almost died from sudden kidney failure, probably from  E coli.

If you have a garden don't plant it over the septic field and make sure your compost got hot before using it in your vegtable garden.

Bad-nasty bugs have always been with us, now modern science can often determine what caused us grief.  Statistically speaking this is not a bigie, but it is tragic for anyone impacted.  So, buckle your seat belt in the car, wash your fresh fruits and vegtables before cutting, wash your hands after using the toilet and before preparing food, don't smoke, exercise regularly, have only safe sex, and hope for the best.

Willie Nelson's public statement regarding being caught with a bag of Marijuana earlier this week:

"It's a good thing I had a bag of Marijuana instead of a bag of spinach. I'd be dead by now."

Great line, but looking at him, I thought he was.

Back
Top Bottom