Stations out of Gas TX

Finally found some gas in my town and was able to fill up. Got a tip from Next-door that the fuel truck was at a nearby station. I am so glad I will have enough gas to make it to Church tomorrow. Most gas stations in my town still without gas. I did not find gas buddy to be much help, it does not seem up to date.

OMG! At least he wasn’t at that gas stat behind him!

That was the gas station where the Hummer driver just filled up the multiple gas cans he was carrying in the back. He did not make it very far from the station. It was not known how the cans were ignited.

message-editor%2F1620918295841-gascaninline.jpg

Another gas hoarder caught fire in South Carolina. The 28-year-old woman was driving a car with a stolen license plate, which was observed by a patrol policeman who gave chase. She tried to outrun the patrol car, lost control of the car and flipped it, which immediately burst into flames with the gas containers in the back. She emerged in flames from her car. Her condition in the hospital was unknown.

Just returned from 3 day trip from Midwest to Knoxville area. Filled up 5-6 times, never let tank get below 1/2. Did find two stations without gas-but they (formerly) had the lowest area prices-and found lots of gas a block or two away. No lines to speak of. Most prices maybe a dime more than a week ago (when up north).

Drove through IN, KY, TN. No opinion on the "crisis"-just a PSA.

Meanwhile, a guy in Florida who hoarded gas with his Hummer got it burned down.

Well, we all know that Hummers get really low MPG, so this guy had an excuse to hoard. :)

BB1gLmC7.img

Just another Florida Man type story.:D

Just read that "Colonial Pipeline's is having network issues preventing shippers from planning upcoming shipments of fuel, the company said on Tuesday, just after the system reopened after a week-long ransomware attack."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colonial-pipeline-nomination-system-shut-151124870.html

Also heard on TV and read from another source that they paid 90m in bitcoin as ransomware... That is up a good "bit" :)laugh:) from the 5m that was reported earlier.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/col...-darkside-received-90-million-in-bitcoin.html

Last edited:
Yesterday and today I am driving from Atlanta to Newport News. Mostly along I-85. I can report that many (not all, but clearly over 50%) stations are open and have gas.

I’m glad to hear that this is only a local issue and seems to be passing. I’m leaving for about a month long road trip in a week or so and I’d hate to have problems finding gas.

I’m glad to hear that this is only a local issue and seems to be passing. I’m leaving for about a month long road trip in a week or so and I’d hate to have problems finding gas.
I've been traveling a lot in the past month (west and southwest US) and didn't see any closed stations or lines anywhere..... Of course that's a long way from the east coast.

Other recent traveling observations: (at least in parts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada) Everything seems to be opened and operating normally for the most part, getting a hotel room "on the fly" is super easy and I'm seeing help wanted signs everywhere. Oh, and highway traffic seems to be up to pre covid levels, IMO....

Last edited:
Just read that "Colonial Pipeline's is having network issues preventing shippers from planning upcoming shipments of fuel, the company said on Tuesday, just after the system reopened after a week-long ransomware attack."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colonial-pipeline-nomination-system-shut-151124870.html

Also heard on TV and read from another source that they paid 90m in bitcoin as ransomware... That is up a good "bit" :)laugh:) from the 5m that was reported earlier.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/col...-darkside-received-90-million-in-bitcoin.html

Thanks for this info--I was wondering why so many gas stations in my area still had no gas. I guess this is going on for a while longer.:mad:

Even here in NC, most stations have gas now, and the lines are short, 2-3 cars at most.

I’ve noticed several stations with yellow bags over all the nozzles, but with a car or two (not diesels) that looked like they were filling up? Turns out at least some stations with yellow bags on nozzles have gas, but they’re limiting the amount customers can buy and making them pay inside. If nothing else, limits might deter people from filling gas cans (and plastic bags)…

Thanks for this info--I was wondering why so many gas stations in my area still had no gas. I guess this is going on for a while longer.:mad:

Even here in NC, most stations have gas now, and the lines are short, 2-3 cars at most.

I’ve noticed several stations with yellow bags over all the nozzles, but with a car or two (not diesels) that looked like they were filling up? Turns out at least some stations with yellow bags on nozzles have gas, but they’re limiting the amount customers can buy and making them pay inside. If nothing else, limits might deter people from filling gas cans (and plastic bags)…

Thanks for the recent NC gas info.

I'm in Florida, heading off soon to visit friends in rural western NC on my snowbird repositioning trip to MI. I was planning on leaving Sunday, but have delayed my departure due to the gas situation. I am still monitoring closely. My NC friends tell me there are loooong lines at their nearby stations that have fuel.

I really don't want to get stuck en route, awaiting gas deliveries.

I'm now thinking I may delay until Thursday, hoping that more fuel deliveries are made = more stations with gas.

And once I'm on the road, I'll be looking to refill when I get to the half-tank level, just to be sure to not run out in the middle of nowhere.

If anyone has suggestions on checking for gas availability on the road besides the GasBuddy app, please share.

omni

If anyone has suggestions on checking for gas availability on the road besides the GasBuddy app, please share.

omni

I don't think there is a better alternative. It's the most used crowd sourced (and most accurate and timely) application. Only other thing that *might* work is a Twitter search using a # [-]of "NCGAS" or "FLGAS"[/-] or something similar (and search for latest).

Edit: Most popular hashtag on Twitter seems to be #GasShortage2021

Last edited:
Ugh...looks like there is a network issue @ Colonial causing additional issues. Oye...hopefully it's not a big deal.
Colonial Pipeline [RIC:RIC:COLPI.UL] is having network issues preventing shippers from planning upcoming shipments of fuel, the company said on Tuesday, just after the nation's biggest fuel pipeline reopened after a week-long ransomware attack.

The disruption was caused by efforts by the company to harden its system as it restores service following the cyberattack, Colonial said, and not the result of a reinfection of its network. It did not say when the issue would be fixed, but said it was still delivering products scheduled by shippers.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...ystem-shut-tuesday-market-sources-2021-05-18/

Last edited:
I've been traveling a lot in the past month (west and southwest US) and didn't see any closed stations or lines anywhere..... Of course that's a long way from the east coast.

Other recent traveling observations: (at least in parts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada) Everything seems to be opened and operating normally for the most part, getting a hotel room "on the fly" is super easy and I'm seeing help wanted signs everywhere. Oh, and highway traffic seems to be up to pre covid levels, IMO....

That’s good to hear. I’ll be going from the PNW to SC. Going through the northern states on the way there and the southern states on the way back.

Only parts of it are planned, mostly on the east coast since I’ll be visiting friends/family. But I’m
traveling solo and have lots of flexibility. As long as I can find gas, I’m good. Might car camp if needed, otherwise I’ll look for cheap/last-minute lodgings along the way.

The best info I have found about available gas in my area has been Next-door. For any of you traveling to see friends who are on Next-door you might be able to ask about gas availability on Next-door. Gas Buddy does not seem to be up to date in may area. I have recently been out and only saw 2 stations with any gas here and both had lines.

GasBuddy worked fine for me. I was careful to look at when prices were posted. If they were more than 4 hrs old I assumed that the station was out of gas. There were many stations with gas and recent prices. Again, Atlanta to Greenville yesterday, Greenville to Newport News today. Also, I did not wait in a line for gas at all during the trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom