Stock Market Contest 2005

Re: Stock Market Contest (Accepting Entries Thru Oct 15)

What is the price of gas and where might one get it from?

Gas refers to the price of a thousand cubic feet of natural gas. I can pull up the number on bloomberg if you remind me when the time comes. Ditto for gold and oil. I'd assume we'll use NYMEX spot for gas, US West Texas Intermediate crude for oil, and New York spot for gold. OK?

brewer12345 said:
Gas refers to the price of a thousand cubic feet of natural gas. I can pull up the number on bloomberg if you remind me when the time comes. Ditto for gold and oil. I'd assume we'll use NYMEX spot for gas, US West Texas Intermediate crude for oil, and New York spot for gold. OK?
Thks. I'll check bloomberg, and yep those are the price sources I'm thinking also.

Let me show my shallow understanding of commodities...At the end of the year, will the gas, gold & oil prices be a future price(and if so, what period) or the current delivered price(is that what they mean by spot) ?

DanTien said:
Let me show my shallow understanding of commodities...At the end of the year, will the gas, gold & oil prices be a future price(and if so, what period) or the current delivered price(is that what they mean by spot) ?

Heheh, both. There will be futures extending into 2006 and beyond. The december futures should gradually converge into end of year spot prices until the day of settlement. To avoid confusion, we should just use the spot price on the last trading day of the year.

I don't really care where the Dow finishes the year, and I have no opinion. But I do think that the Nasdaq might drop >=10% over the next 3 weeks or so.

Today I took out $10,000 from rolling down QQQQ Dec39 puts to QQQ Dec37. Of course, it is about time I took something out. Until very recently it was the slot machine that never paid..

BTW, if Brewers predictions come to pass, I'll be so f'n rich I'll fly my own Thai ladies over here to massage me, and avoid that long uncomfortable plane trip.

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce?

Ha

HaHa said:
BTW, if Brewers predictions come to pass, I'll be so f'n rich I'll fly my own Thai ladies over here to massage me, and avoid that long uncomfortable plane trip.

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce? Ha
I think the question merits an extensive double-blind taste test research project.

HaHa said:
I don't really care where the Dow finishes the year, and I have no opinion. But I do think that the Nasdaq might drop >=10% over the next 3 weeks or so.

Today I took out $10,000 from rolling down QQQQ Dec39 puts to QQQ Dec37. Of course, it is about time I took something out. Until very recently it was the slot machine that never paid..

Do you think they have a skill that can't be provided by the US workforce?

Ha

You are my hero. Actually, that could be a small business venture involving container ships and a few well placed bribes, and some dreams of a better life in America....

DOW  10936
SPX  1245
NASDAQ  2195

Gonzo

I suppose the manly thing to do would be to go with my original guesstimates, buy hey, I need that plump cash prize you're offering Dan.  ;)  So below are my new WAG's.
Dow--10783
NAS---2175
500---1211

Oil==$52

Thanks,

PS  Looking forward to the Super Bowl contest :D

JPatrick said:
PS Looking forward to the Super Bowl contest :D
:D
J - I'm thinking ER Forum Re-Usable Super Tidy Bowl Stink Eliminator for the prize.

I'd like to add the following for the non-dow estimates:

SP500 1311
NASDAQ 2301
Oil 51
Gold 526
Gas 16

And if I can change my DOW vote, make it: 11003

Thanks!

WOW, I don't know what most of that means, but it sounds like winning would be awesome man...  pass another Corona please

Re: Stock Market Contest

Ha! GDP up more than expected 3rd quarter, Dow up 175 today! Bull run until the end of the year! Come on-wha, T-bone Al "Price is right" punked me after I did Texas Proud? No fair!

I punked you all!!!!!!!1

Second prize is a date with...

7110.jpg

DanTien said:
Contest now closed.

The one(s) closest to each average or price will receive an ER Forum Static Eliminator Re-Usable Dryer Sheet courtesy of whoever has an extra available. In addition, JPatrick has volunteered to provide a case of Coronas to each winner.

No problem with the Coronas. Whoever shows up in my driveway with that Stang gets the brew.  BTW, that is the exact car I'm trying to earn for New Years Eve.  So far I'd have a better chance of parting the Red Sea.  :mad:

JPatrick said:
No problem with the Coronas. Whoever shows up in my driveway with that Stang gets the brew. BTW, that is the exact car I'm trying to earn for New Years Eve. So far I'd have a better chance of parting the Red Sea. :mad:
JP - didn't mean to cause any discomfort with that.

DanTien said:
JP -  didn't mean to cause any discomfort with that.
What discomfort? Parting the Red Sea??
I've been at that for years.
img_337337_0_2fe3d6be23fed53152d5f47dc5e9c916.jpg
[/img]

T-bone: If DanT wins second prize I want 'date' pictures of those two. They wouldn't even need to have their date in the same state.

--Greg

DanTien said:
JP -  didn't mean to cause any discomfort with that.

Or did you mean this? Yes that is cruel- -
img_337340_0_75543f9c91b04917df512d6515fe55cc.jpg
[/img]

I'll contribute one oz of silver to the winner of the Gold portion of the contest. But someone needs to remind me New Year's Day--very late in the day.

--Greg

JPatrick said:
Or did you mean this? Yes that is cruel- -
Feh, it probably has an automatic transmission...

Contest now closed.

Guesses of where the Dow, SP500, Nasdaq, Oil, Gas & Gold will be at year-end 2005.
Guess all of them or just the one(s) you like.

The one(s) closest to each average or price will receive an ER Forum Static Eliminator Re-Usable Dryer Sheet courtesy of whoever has an extra available. In addition, JPatrick has volunteered to provide a case of Coronas to each winner.

Most importantly they will be held in great esteem and their pronouncements in 2006 will be given the respect they deserve.

The one with the most closest to awards can choose a night with either
img_337442_0_a4ceb1591afec2d05a9281a626b24e91.jpg

or

img_337442_1_54fb3a68d383b93fe7eb7869e0193367.jpg

and be elevated to official ER Forum Investment Wizard.
Code:
[b][u]Name           Dow     SP500    Nasdaq      Oil  Gold   Gas [/u][/b]   

justin           11050 
TromboneAl      11003      1311     2301       51  526   16
Laurence        11002      1310     2080       63 
Texas Proud      11001
Michael          11000

Gonzo          10936      1245     2195
tryan           10900
azanon          10900      1300     2300 
JPatrick         10783      1211     2175       52
moghopper       10750      1240     2125
wabmester       10660
Sheryl          10555      1175     1999       62  
windsurf         10500
BUM            10450
Martha          10400
DOG51          10250

farmerEd         9850               1850 
Marshac          9800
Apocalypse        9770                          52  493   19
dwk             9725      1125      1825
brewer12345      9701      1040      1950       75  525   20
DanTien          9550      1102      1802       70  511   17

unclemick2       8500

Second prize is TWO nights with Suze!

DanTien said:
img_337729_0_54fb3a68d383b93fe7eb7869e0193367.jpg

I recommend you listen to DanTien when it comes to investment advice. I do.
I've been very happy with my returns lately. I've lost 12 pounds and sleep better too!

Back
Top Bottom