Suggestions for home-cleaning cloths

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know there are all kinds of new micro-fiber and other cloths for kitchen, bathroom, floor and wall cleaning etc.

I went to Amazon and got dizzy at all the possibilities. I can't even understand the categories.

Coud you all just give me some suggestions? My place is so small that I think it is likely most efficient to just clean the bathroom, kitchen and lr floors on my knees, rather than mess with mops. I also need suggestions for mirrors, walls, kitchen cabinets and counters. The products don't have to be perfect, just better than the linty rags and paper towels that I normally use. :) My floors are Swedish finish oak.

Thanks for any help.

Ha

Firstly, I avoid using a lot of cleaning agents which are just chemical. Water and just one type of cleaning agent will do. I do spray clorox twice a month when I clean. For the floors - just water will do. For cleaning materials, see below:-

1. I clean mirrors with a damp newspaper and then a dry one. Great results. Sometimes I replace the newspaper with cotton cloth when I want a fast job.
2. I don't use any special cloth for wiping furniture - just make sure it is cotton and that is fine.
3. The mop will do for cleaning floors but must be not too wet. Just slightly damp. This helps to dry up fast and not leave sticky feeling.
4. For bathroom, sinks, etc, I use a scotch-brite not scratch scrub sponge. After cleaning, I wipe away water by using a cotton cloth.
5. To remove dust from furniture, sometimes a 3M dust wipe is great. It traps fine dust and hair.

It is important to wash all the cloth after each clean unless you throw them away. I have a maid who comes in twice a month and I ask her to use the same things I use.

I think microfiber cloths are very versatile. I use them for cleaning, drying, dusting, waxing, shining, polishing, etc...

I have found the best cloths to use for cleaning are soft cotton . I usually recycle SO's old undershirts for cleaning duty . I also have microfiber wipes and they are great . Because my house has two inch wooden blind throughout I have invested in swifter's dusters and I love them for the blinds and ceiling fans and just general dusting .

Old towels, cut up.

We also use old towels cut up and newspapers for mirrors and glass.

Old towels, cut up.
There has never been a towel old enough for me to stop using it to dry my body. I would have to go out and buy old towels somewhere, then bring them home and cut them up. :)

Though I do have old bar towels like one buys from Costco. They were new when I bought them from Costco, about 100 years ago.

Ha

T.... I would have to go out and buy old towels somewhere, then bring them home and cut them up. :)

Just so. Goodwill main store in Salem sells anything cloth by the pound. Cheap. Betcha Seattle has the same setup. Have to admit that about 20% of the towels I brought home from the last run didn't get cut up as they were way better than we had been using. Also a bunch of pants and such made it in the bags...

I buy packages of white wash cloths at Walmart and use them for my cleaning cloths. They wash and dry well and aren't so expensive that I mind throwing them out when they get stained or holes in them. They do hold up for years too.

Yes, rummage sales often have towels. We have a variety of cleaning cloths, including some micro-fiber cloths (they were free after rebate at the hardware store), and I prefer the towel-type terry cloths.

For some reason, I see a lot of towels along the side of the road when biking. I almost always resist the temptation to pick them up (to be used as rags).

For some reason, I see a lot of towels along the side of the road when biking. I almost always resist the temptation to pick them up (to be used as rags).

Why did that towel get discarded? Is that what the driver threw at his drunk passenger as the guy turned green and started to moan?

"No, no! Not in my car, here, use this."

Or was it abandoned after a messy diaper change in a back seat of a mini van?

I'm so glad you resist the temptation. Frugal only goes so far.

I was going to replace a few of our large bath sheet towels (and turn them into rags). I know they are at least 8-10 years old and getting thin and stringy on the ends. DH is newly retired and finding his frugality and decided he was just fine with the ones we had, no need to replace them. I found 3 nice new ones at Walmart that were on clearance due to discontinued colors. I bought 3 for $7 total. They were marked down from $12 each. He doesn't like them so they are all mine now.

My best rags were the old cloth diapers we used for the sons. I had dozens of them but they are all gone now.

I look for stacks of inexpensive plain white terrycloth (small washcloths or kitchen towels) at the dollar stores. Terrycloth is washable and sturdy for long service life.
I accumulate the dirty ones until I have enough for a small load wash, using bleach and a small amount of laundry detergent. I do not wash them with my clothing or personal use towels.
I use the cheapest paper towels bought in bulk packages. I like the select-a-size type, or just tear the regular size ones in half for everyday kitchen counter cleaning.
My housecleaner likes the short handle Swiffer thingies. I can find the refills in bulk quantities at Lowes.
Cleaners: Windex, 409, furniture polish, Softscrub or equivalent generics. I look for the large size containers and do periodic refills to smaller pump bottles. If a spray top breaks, I buy a smaller size bottle and continue to do refills.
For oak wood floors: vacuum using soft floorbrush attwchment first, damp mop with water only.
Kitchen: I keep a spray bottle of ordinary bleach diluted with water approx 6:1 to use on my ivory colored Corian kitchen sink and darker countertops. I spray the sink thoroughly and let it sit for approx 20 minutes, then rinse. Countertops are wiped off immediately.

The Mr. Clean "magic erasers" work pretty welll for things like scuff marks
on various surfaces and for getting out general grunginess on enamel / ceramic / surfaces

I buy small cheap white 100 percent cotton wash clothes at the dollar store. Also save up my cotton tee shirts, flannel pajamas that are destined for the dust bin but make great cleaning cloths. I buy paper towels and cheap sponges and Lysol wipes in a large plastic tub for quick clean ups. I use a lot of white vinegar, baking soda, Clorox soft scrub and Spic n Span. I don't have any wood floors and like to clean my ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathrooms on my hands and knees in a dilute solution of Spic n Span...can see the spots better and get into the corners. My place doesn't get too dirty with just myself and the dog, and I don't throw many gatherings these days (maybe once a year--hint: serve only white wine, not red, when having a few folks over).

Thanks everyone

I did a clean up today, and I used a pack of white terry towels from Walmart, and various cleaners. On my wood floor I used a floor cleaner called Bona which seems to work well and create a little shine.

I am getting better at this, and I like the way it makes me feel to get it done.

Ha

I use old t-shirts sprayed with Endust for dusting. Use Comet cleanser in the bathrooms. Mostly everything else gets wiped down with a spray of vinegar and water including my wood floors and windows. Last week I got sick and tired of cleaning and hired a cleaning lady. Its nice!

I bought a package of utility wash clothes at Costco a couple years ago. They are 100% cotton, large and rough. Perfect for washing the kitchen floor, windows, whatever. They haven't warn out yet.

I like the microfiber towels and bought a large package of them at Costco in the auto section.

At a garage sale Saturday, a woman had nice clothes for 10 cents each. I got a few sweatshirts for cutting up, and one that's nice. Lena got four really good shirts.

Back
Top Bottom