Summer Olympics 2020/1

I admit that I haven't been super motivated to find out how/where.
Which streaming service will give me LIVE coverage?
Or is there coverage that NBC will absolutely not show live?

USA, CNBC, NBCSN, Olympics channel all have live coverage, so any streaming service that includes those will give you lots to watch. I think you can see all of them in the NBC Sports App if you have that. You can also try Peacock. They've been mentioned in the commercials that I'm fast-forwarding through.

There is no live action between ~7 AM and ~5 PM PDT because people in Japan are asleep then.

You do realize that Japan is in a very different time zone?

You can watch the games played in the morning in Japan here in the later afternoon or early evening, depending upon which time zone you may be in. I heard it's been so hot in Tokyo (90F+ with high humidity) that they're trying to schedule outdoor events in their early mornings and late evenings and moving some events to Hokkaido (the northern island) etc...

I heard it's been so hot in Tokyo (90F+ with high humidity) that they're trying to schedule outdoor events in their early mornings and late evenings and moving some events to Hokkaido (the northern island) etc...
Tokyo is on the same latitude as North Carolina, and with a north-flowing ocean current like the US East Coast, I understand the climate is similar.

The Olympics are probably my favorite sporting event, though I enjoy Winter a little more than Summer. But we'll watch some every day while they're on, as we always do! And having them on at least 4 networks makes it easy to pick sports we enjoy most, obviously we didn't have those choices generations ago.

Without fans my interest level is lower than it would otherwise be. I have switched on the network TV channel carrying the games about 6 times so far, each time an advertisement was showing at which point I switched it back off.

I like watching beach volleyball too. With indoor vball, sometimes I cannot even see where the ball. At least, with beach v, I can see where the ball is the whole time.

That's a good point.

I'm not a sports fan, DW likes Olympics and some other things, so I'll end up seeing some of it. When I first learned of women's beach volleyball, I admit, the attraction was tall, fit women in skimpy bikinis, jumping around - what's not to like?

But I quickly became very interested in the game itself. It 'works' for me in ways many other sports do not. Just two people on a side, each is totally involved every microsecond. The teamwork of two is just a different level than a larger team. It really draws me in.

And as you just pointed out, I can follow the action in a way I find much more difficult in hockey or basketball. And the scores/sets make sense IMO - not so low like soccer and hockey that I question if it really reflects the skill levels (too small a sample size, if you look at it that way). And not so high like in basketball, so many points that it just seems routine and excessive, where I feel "ho-hum another X points, can we just skip to the last 10 minutes to see who wins?".

I watched tonight, as we were watching the g-kids while our DD and hubby are away for the w/e. I'll have to explain this one, lest they get the wrong idea - my 3 1/2 YO grandson is watching along with me, wants to know who is winning, asks about all the sand, and then: "Gwampa - why are they nakie?". :) Well, it's hot you know...

-ERD50

Skateboarding Finals were cool tonight.

Wow, you're right. Pretty cool. I watched the earlier preliminaries, and most of them looked pretty awful. One Canadian guy fell off the main rail every single time. Others fell off too, but not every time. Those guys in the finals make it look so easy (well, except when they fell... It looks so painful when that happens!) Good thing they reply the highlights in slow motion...

Last edited:
.... women's beach volleyball, I admit, the attraction was tall, fit women in skimpy bikinis, jumping around - what's not to like?

.......Well, it's hot you know...

When I first saw it , I thought how obviously a sex attraction thing to get views to watch the Olympics.
Of course, that is how the game originated, so it does make sense.
Do the guys wear speedo's :confused:

At least these athletes are dressed properly for the very HOT Humid weather they are having right now, all the other sports except swimming are sweating.

I like to watch the lesser known events. Less extracurricular drama.

But I like the Winter Olympics much better.

I'm watching the "Skateboarding" event on TV today as I write this... I didn't even know skateboarding was an Olympic event. :facepalm:

Anyway, these guys are not wearing any protective gear, (e.g no helmets, no knee or elbow pads etc) Riding on a skateboard and jumping up on a handrail and sliding down it, to "hopefully" land on their feet and skateboard on "concrete" pavement...:uglystupid:... Not sure that's a sport I'd want to encourage my kids to get involved with. (or anyone for that matter)...

Last edited:
I'm watching the "Skateboarding" event on TV today as I write this... I didn't even know skateboarding was an Olympic event. :facepalm:

Anyway, these guys are not wearing any protective gear, (e.g no helmets, no knee or elbow pads etc) Riding on a skateboard and jumping up on a handrail and sliding down it, to "hopefully" land on their feet and skateboard on "concrete" pavement...:uglystupid:... Not sure that's a sport I'd want to encourage my kids to get involved with. (or anyone for that matter)...

I was thinking the same thing! No protective gear whatsoever. I bet Some of those athletes must be black and blue after the event as they fell a lot (They should at least wear some kind of butt pads!) One guy even had an arm cast on.

Evidently, this is the first-ever skateboarding event in the Olympics.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing! No protective gear whatsoever. I bet some of those athletes must be black and blue after the event as they fell a lot (They should at least wear some kind of butt pads!) One guy even had an arm cast on.

But this is the Olympics.
Not the learner classes.

I also think they must feel the pain when falling, especially that Canadian guy :facepalm: (when I watched).

Not the learner classes.

I also think they must feel the pain when falling, especially that Canadian guy :facepalm: (when I watched).
Olympic boxers wear boxing gloves, head gear and mouth pieces, fencing participants wear protective masks, cycling riders wear helmets, etc...... Seems crazy to me that skateboarders don't use any protection.... Even if they are the best.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing! No protective gear whatsoever. I bet Some of those athletes must be black and blue after the event as they fell a lot (They should at least wear some kind of butt pads!) One guy even had an arm cast on.

There are two different skateboarding events, "street" and "park". Watching Tony Hawk try out the two venues last night, I saw that he did wear knee pads and a helmet in the park venue, so I'm guessing we'll see more padding when they get to that.

There are two different skateboarding events, "street" and "park". Watching Tony Hawk try out the two venues last night, I saw that he did wear knee pads and a helmet in the park venue, so I'm guessing we'll see more padding when they get to that.
I didn't see those events but that seems to make a bit more sense.

Here’s a news release by NBC with their Olympic programming schedule, including some live events. https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/07/09/tokyo-olympics-listings/

Here’s their programming overview by channel
Live gymnastics, track and field action and all of Peacock’s Tokyo Olympics programming will be available for broadcast on the free tier of Peacock. But if you want to watch live games played by the U.S. men’s basketball team, you will have to fork over $4.99 a month for Peacock Premium. The live events on Peacock also are available to those pay-TV subscribers with streaming options on a variety of devices.

USA Network coverage includes coverage of swimming, track and field, diving, beach volleyball, volleyball, cycling, triathlon, basketball, soccer and water polo.

CNBC will air diving, beach volleyball, skateboarding, rowing, canoeing, archery, water polo and rugby.

NBCSN will offer soccer, softball, beach volleyball, table tennis, handball, badminton, fencing and equestrian

Not the learner classes.

I know, right? Some of the performances were so bad that it looked as if they had picked up some random skateboarders from a local park and put them there. I think you saw the same Candian guy that we did. (His butt must be so sore!) My DH said he is on some of the cereal boxes sold here in Canada. Hmm... maybe not after the Olympics...

I watched 4 or 5 hours of coverage yesterday. The triathlon (swimming, cycling and running) was really very interesting to me. I really enjoyed the full non stop coverage of the event.

Also watched the lighter "weigh classes" in weightlifting.... Wow, these "little guys" are really strong. I did noticed the judging seemed to be a bit more stringent than what it has been in the past... I also saw the first "decision reversal" in the sport on one particular lift... At first they voted that the lift failed, but after the lifter protested, the judges had a quick conference and reversed their decision. I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it.

Last edited:
I watched the big women's 400 meter freestyle showdown between Katie Ledecky (USA) vs Ariarne Titmus (Aus). Lots of drama from start to finish.

I caught some 3X3 basketball (new sport) today. Much more exciting than a regular game. Played half court up to 21, so it is full of action.

Also, saw a nice story of a brother and sister from Japan who each won gold medals in Judo this year. I love the stories of the athletes.

I really like that 3x3 format too. Short time clock, and unless it's a low-scoring game, the game clock doesn't come into play so there's little of the interminable fouling at the end.

Back
Top Bottom