Summer Olympics 2020/1

yes that was great of her, had it been 1 more length I think she would have captured the gold at the rate she was catching up :popcorn:

Ledecky finished her 200M leg of the relay about 2 seconds faster than did in the individual when she ended up I think in 5th place. Was great to see, even though only got the silver.

I wish the coverage would include not just who NBC thinks is going to win but more athletes from more countries. It was one of the gymnastic events and they only showed the ROC and the USA teams. There must have been other teams involved but we never saw them.

A local radio talk show spent about a good hour talking about Ms. Biles and her decision to withdraw. ( I make no judgment on that since I don't know what was going on.) Not a word about any of the other female gymnasts. Tomorrow I expect them to slather praise on Ms. Lee sounding like they knew all the time how great she is.

Sports reporters and commentators are among the most fickle people in an already very fickle medium, IMO. No doubt by the end of the day, they will be talking as though they all knew that Ms. Lee was the better athlete and would assure a USA gold medal. Biles who? Yea, she was great in her day way back when. What has she done for us lately?

Ms. Lee will do well, and I hope she does. She is impressive to say the least. And she did stumble into a great opportunity newly available to gold medal winners.

In another unexpected pandemic turn, Lee could still keep her scholarship to attend Auburn University—the first Olympic all-around champion who can sign endorsement deals as America’s newest sweetheart while remaining eligible to compete in NCAA events, due to that association’s about-face this summer in the face of state pressure.

Last edited:
A new Olympic event - the Mixed Triathlon Relay. (2 men and two women per team) Each athlete will have to swim for 300m, cycle for 8km, and run for 2km before tapping the hand of their teammate to pass the relay.

Very cool... The US got Silver.

A new Olympic event - the Mixed Triathlon Relay. (2 men and two women per team) Each athlete will have to swim for 300m, cycle for 8km, and run for 2km before tapping the hand of their teammate to pass the relay.
I was a little skeptical of this but I really enjoyed it. Very exciting.

Very cool... The US got Silver.

Oye. Just the thought of that makes me want to take a nap. Well, that and the current 105 degree heat index...BLAH!

Watched the mixed IM swim relay last night. Rules are that you have to have two men and two women, but you can have them swim whichever strokes you think is best. Each team made different choices as to which legs/strokes the men and women swam, so there were vast differences throughout the race depending on the distribution. Very weird event.

Wow, Dressel wins the 50 free in a rout, for that short of a swim. He won by almost half a second. Places 2-8 were all within a quarter second of each other. So it would've been a lot more likely for the silver medal winner to come in last than to take first.

Here's a little info from Wikipedia, about the actual size and content of the Olympic medals that are awarded.... I was wondering about the content of the gold medals... Bummer....

• Diameter: A minimum of 60 mm
  • Thickness: A minimum of 3 mm
  • Material:
    • First place (the gold medal): It is composed at least 92.5% of silver, plated with 6 grams of gold; the metal value was about US$494 in 2010.[11]
    • Second place (the silver medal): 92.5% silver;[12] the metal value was about US$260 in 2010.[11]
    • Third place (the bronze medal): It is 97% copper with 0.5% tin and 2.5% zinc; the metal value was about US$3 in 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal

Here's a little info from Wikipedia, about the actual size and content of the Olympic medals that are awarded.... I was wondering about the content of the gold medals... Bummer....

• Diameter: A minimum of 60 mm
  • Thickness: A minimum of 3 mm
  • Material:
    • First place (the gold medal): It is composed at least 92.5% of silver, plated with 6 grams of gold; the metal value was about US$494 in 2010.[11]
    • Second place (the silver medal): 92.5% silver;[12] the metal value was about US$260 in 2010.[11]
    • Third place (the bronze medal): It is 97% copper with 0.5% tin and 2.5% zinc; the metal value was about US$3 in 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal

Gold is way too soft to make a solid medal. Also, it's almost twice as heavy as silver.

I like that this year's medals are made of recycled electronics. https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/games/medals-project/

The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) conducted the “Tokyo 2020 Medal Project” to collect small electronic devices such as used mobile phones from all over Japan to produce the Olympic and Paralympic medals.

In the two years between April 2017 and March 2019, 100 percent of the metals required to manufacture the approximately 5,000 gold, silver and bronze medals were extracted from small electronic devices contributed by people from all over Japan. Every single medal to be awarded to athletes during the Tokyo 2020 Games is made from recycled metals.

Gold is way too soft to make a solid medal. Also, it's almost twice as heavy as silver.

I like that this year's medals are made of recycled electronics.
I don't know about that.... Example, my 1oz solid America Gold Eagles are 22k gold (~92% gold) and are pretty dang durable... Even 24k Canadian Gold Maple leafs (99.99% pure gold) hold up well.

"As an example", if they just used 4 or 5 American Gold Eagles to make each Olympic Gold medal, it would be a nice size medal, very durable and would still weight less than a 1/2 pound. But it would cost ~8 to ~10k usd each at today's prices. So, I would guess the cost is more the reason why the Gold Medals aren't pure/solid gold.

But, of course the Olympic's aren't about the athletes winning some monetary prizes. I was just a little surprised that there wasn't more gold in their gold medals.

I didn't know about the recycling which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back to the specific events:

Just watched the women's 100m finals. The women from Jamaica took all the medals (amazing) and set an Olympic record doing it....

Sifan Hassan tripped and fell in the 1500 but gets up and wins the race.... I saw this happen on TV and thought is was really amazing.... When she got up and took off it looked like she had an afterburner mode.

Last edited:
Another gripe:

The lines about athletes being from specific countries is being blurred. Rory Sabbatini (sp?) is playing for Slovakia where his wife is from - he's from South Africa. The winner of the 100M women's hurdles is an American but is running for Puerto Rico where her mother is from. There are more cases of this sort of thing; those are just two examples off the top of my head.

I'm sure in some cases there are real dual citizenship things, but I am beginning to wonder if countries are giving some sort of honorary "only for the Olympics" citizenship in return for being credited as a nation with an Olympic medal or as a way for the athlete to honor someone (Rory's wife or the hurdler's mother).

Now get off my lawn, kid.

Sifan Hassan tripped and fell in the 1500 but gets up and wins the race.... I saw this happen on TV and thought is was really amazing.... When she got up and took off it looked like she had an afterburner mode.

Thanks for your post. I could find the video of her actual run and watched it. Wow, it was incredible! Hassan made it look like she was running among novice runners.

Anyone else seeing blurry and choppy video? I'm using YouTubeTV with 100Mbps fiber internet and it's pretty bad whenever there's a lot of motion. Nerd stats confirms it's 30fps. Is YTTV over subscribed, or is it just the feed from Tokyo?

Anyone else seeing blurry and choppy video? I'm using YouTubeTV with 100Mbps fiber internet and it's pretty bad whenever there's a lot of motion. Nerd stats confirms it's 30fps. Is YTTV over subscribed, or is it just the feed from Tokyo?

Not sure about YouTube, but you can find a lot of live vids and replays here.

https://www.nbcolympics.com

I've been watching the games on NBC and USA over DirecTV... For me, it's not been blurry or choppy but there have been a lot of "drop outs". (picture goes to a black screen)... It usually last 3 to 5 seconds each time but sometimes it happens a couple of times a minute. Then all of a sudden it will stop dropping out and it's okay for a good while. I keep thinking they'll fix it, but it's been going on since the games started.... Some days are worse than others....

Last edited:
We're watching the Olympics several hours per day on NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA and Golf Channel with Hulu+Live and haven't had any blurry of choppy video. We have 1000mbps fiber, but I don't think 100mbps would cause any problems unless you have lots of other WiFi activities going on at the same time.

Watching the competition has been OK, but watching the recap show hosted by Kevin Hart and Snoop Dogg on Peacock has been the best part of the games! :)

I'm watching basketball with my OTA antenna through Fire TV Recast and it's sooo much better.

Proud of 19 year old Athing Mu's gold in the 800M. Impressive athlete. Also Ryan Crouser and Joe Kovacs winning gold and silver in the shot.

Pulling for Slovenia and Luka Doncic in men's hoops.

US Women's volleyball, whether on court or sand, has looked better and better as the games go on. It's also a great sport to watch.

Yeah, that was pretty horrible. The first thing that popped into my head was, “I miss Carl Lewis!”

Yes except his handle was not clean either.:D

Back
Top Bottom