Surveillance Cameras

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm hooking up some surveillance cameras :police:

Does anyone know if a video capture card is the same as video codecs? Thanks in advance.

I don't know, but I do know that Costco has a system. They have a great return policy.

Thanks Brat! :)

I've already purchased a system. I just need to know if I can do a hook up to my computer. I have recording software, just need the interface...

Surveillance... yeah, that's it... :p

Codec stands for compression-decompression, but you knew that!

A capture board should have composite, S-video, or maybe Firewire input. The hardware/software will convert the "raw" video (snicker...) to somethng compressed, like mpeg. (Depending on the codec used...) I used to capture video and make CBT for w***, but that was a few years back, so the technology may be slightly different, and hopefully better. My board would output mpeg or avi.

A video capture card will allow you to receive input (video) into your PC. Usually this is coax (one for cable tv where you twist) but you might also have composite (yellow plug, of the red, white yellow kind) and/or svideo.

You will still need software to go with it. Most video capture cards will come with software, however if you have special software used for surveillance that may be best.

HFWR said:
Codec stands for compression-decompression, but you knew that!

My blonde roots are showing!! :LOL:

I really am doing a survelliance set-up. No Redclouds stuff here. :p

cube_rat said:
I've already purchased a system.  I just need to know if I can do a hook up to my computer.  I have recording software, just need the interface...
You know you need to e-mail TH...

cube_rat said:
I'm hooking up some surveillance cameras  :police:

Does anyone know if a video capture card is the same as video codecs?  Thanks in advance.

Are you getting a message about a missing codec? AFAIK, windows doesn't ship with an mpeg decoder, so if you're not seeing video playback after capture, you'll need to install one. Often, it'll come bundled with your OEM-provided DVD software.

Back
Top Bottom