Talking on Cell phones while driving is todays biggest problem on the Highways..

Re: Talking on Cell phones while driving is todays biggest problem on the Highwa

I don't think the police should target people simply because they see someone talking on the cell phone. Evidence of some sort of impairment should be present, or breaking another law. For example, if a person on the cell phone is weaving in their lane, runs a red light, makes an improper lane change, or actually proves through their driving that they are being a danger, then by all means ticket them.

However, if the driver isn't doing anything that draws attention to themselves...no weaving, cutting others off, or other signs of distracted, reckelss driving, then leave them alone.

That being said, I see people on a regular basis doing stupid things while they're talking on the cell phone. Camping in the left lane, slamming on their brakes because they didn't realize their turn was coming up so fast, speeding, not signalling when they change lanes, almost drifting into cars beside them, etc. However, rather than making up new laws, there already ARE laws on the books that cover speeding, reckless/impaired driving, and in some areas, left lane camping. Just ENFORCE the laws we already have!

Re: Talking on Cell phones while driving is todays biggest problem on the Highwa

I have observed people driving while talking on a cell phone held between the ear and the shoulder (to leave the left hand free to smoke (and throw the smoking detritus out the window)).

That has got to have some negative influence on driving proficiency.

Talking on a cell phone and still driving responsibly isn't too hard if you understand the issues and make a conscious effort to keep driving, not talking/listening, your priority.

I always felt more challenged typing replies on my Skytel text pager! Starring down at the tiny keyboard, trying to read the tiny print on the screen, etc., was more than challenging! I rubbed a tire on a curb one day while turning a corner and typing at the same time, ruining the tire. That was the end of communicating via text pager and driving at the same time and I never read or typed a message while underway again!

I will use my cell phone sparingly, with an earpiece, while underway if driving conditions are calm at the time. But it's something I do thoughtfully.

I'd heard that they were banning used of HAND-HELD phones, but I thought you could still use speaker phones or the little doo-hickeys you hang on your ear.

Yes, that's right, unfortunately.

if cell phones increased the likelihood of an accident, there would be an increase in national accident rates in lockstep with cell phone adoption and use in cars. Yet, from 1990 (when almost nobody had cell phones in their cars) to 2006 when almost everyone does, the adjusted per capita accident rates are about the same.

It's easy to argue that increased safety in cars and laws offset the negative effects of cell phones (increased use of anti-lock brakes, improved visibility in car design, improved laws related to teenage driving, stronger drunk-driving enforcement).

TromboneAl said:
It's easy to argue that increased safety in cars and laws offset the negative effects of cell phones (increased use of anti-lock brakes, improved visibility in car design, improved laws related to teenage driving, stronger drunk-driving enforcement).

Its easy to argue if you missed the "adjusted" part of the statement.

Accidents have actually dropped by as much as 50% since 1980 due to improvements in auto design, roads, and safety equipment. Adjusted by the NHTSA for these improvements, accident rates are almost flat decade on decade.

The particular example I pulled out was between 1990 and 2006; there have been rather limited changes in driving factors, vehicle design or safety equipment in those 16 years, yet cell phone adoption and usage has boomed. Unadjusted accident rates have dropped. Adjusted rates...about the same.

Even looking at unadjusted numbers, when a state or country outlaws cell phones, the following years numbers should show a measurable drop in accident rates. Yet the data shows no trend change in those situations. Did the cars and roads suddenly become far worse to offset the cell phone ban? Pretty dang unlikely. Of course, the naysayers claim that people are still secretly using their phones and the police just arent enforcing the laws, and thats why things are still the same.

Bottom line: cell phones replaced other distractions and there was no detrimental or beneficial effect to be measured in real world statistics.

MasterBlaster said:
Check your data cause California has no laws blocking cell phone use while driving. There are no laws requiring hands free headsets while driving in California either.

Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB1613 into law in September of this year and it will take effect July 1, 2008, giving the Department of Motor Vehicles time to update its manuals and drivers time to get used to the idea. SB1613 prohibits the use of cell phones by drivers unless they use a hands free device.

Seems that in the lengthy discourse, my prime point was lost. I am not arguing that cell phones aren't a distraction or detrimental to driving. I'm pointing out that in the absence of them, both decades ago and after bans are put into effect, that people found other ways to be distracted and in general demonstrate poor knowledge and execution of the rules of the road.

Laws are already on the books in most states that prohibit distracted driving. This is nothing more than a legislatively expensive emotional reaction that has demonstrably failed to solve anything.

Gosh, you know what? This is every bit as unenjoyable as I remember it :LOL:

This space for rent said:
Gosh, you know what? This is every bit as unenjoyable as I remember it :LOL:

Only because you get your shorts in a wad when you should be throwing out a few "bite me's". :)

This is every bit as unenjoyable as I remember it

OK, let's make it a joke. I'll start.

There's this naked lesbian driving down the highway, and she stops to pick up a hitch-hiker...

Interesting about no evidence in accident increases while cellphone used increased.

But seeing other people drive while holding cellphones really bothers me because I often see crazy behavior with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a cellphone and an apparently distracted driver. Seems like the guy/gal crossing several lanes in one wild sweep to make an exit in front of a bunch of cars always is holding a cell phone to their ear.

While I'm driving the big rig I'm always looking out for reckless driver behavior (you know - super defensive driving, my rig weighs 30,000 pounds) and seems like they are most often holding cellphones.

It also blows my mind that some folks seem to need to jabber non stop on the phone while they are driving. Are there really that many people that need to be talked too?

I see people pull out their cellphone and start yacking as soon as they pull out of their parking spot!

[Grrrr, grrrr, grrr, grumpy curmudgeon whining.......]

Audrey

TromboneAl said:
Also, I am convinced that talking on cell phone is very distracting, even with a hands free set, but I wonder why that is any more distracting that talking with the person in the passenger seat?

there is research that shows that it is significantly more distracting.

I disagree with tsfr--there are lots of studies showing heightened accident rates for cellphone users as well as other distractions. Too many for him to glibly try to argue away although I'm sure he'll try.

http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/cellphones/
http://ppc.uiowa.edu/driving-assessment/2005/final/abstracts/70_JeffreyCaird_abstract.pdf
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/vehicle-cell-phone-use-assessing-accident-risk.html

there are plenty more.

DanTien said:
I notice a lot of SUVs and vans with DVD players hung from the ceiling - is the driver able to watch also if he leans back enough ?
Is it possible to watch DVDs while driving... have you seen it done ...have you yourself done it?

Back
Top Bottom