TCP-IPv6 and Link-Layer topology

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
TCP-IPv6
I've looked at the description, but wonder if it's necessary, and what are the downsides to disabling it. What parts of the MS system won't work without it?

Link-layer topology discovery ... While I have a home network, it's not much used. Is this necessary?

Last edited:
IPv6 is not really necessary for your home network. It will be necessary for your provider when the traffic hits another service provider but that is ok, your IPv4 traffic can be transmitted without a problem.

A little background, IP addresses are used to identify devices connected to an IP network like the internet. To keep it simple, they are like a home address. The way to get the traffic to a specific IP address or routing is based on your IP address. However, we started to run out of new IP addresses. So one option was to increase the size of the IP address with IPv6. However, one part of the IPv6 address is reserved for IPv4
addresses, so IPv4 can be translated to an IPv6 address with simply prepending a string that says this is an IPv4 address.

I would just disable IPv6 all together on your Microsoft PC and use v4.

IPv6 is being used to deliver video/cable/apps from "the cloud" to homes by Time Warner in their next gen products. But once it's in the home, it can be transfered via IPv4. IPv6 addresses definitely look a lot different than the familiar IPv4 octets.

Windows uses ip6 internally even if you disable it for your adapters. Dont break that design.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Here's a nice write up on why. IPV6 addressed a limitation in IPV4, who'd thought 4 billion addresses were not enough(never ever seen a hard limit get blown by, how does that happen? :what:)

Hey, it looked like a huge number back in 1980. There were a whole 61 machines on the ARPANET (Internet predecessor) in 1975, and Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn had been banging the rocks together for about 2 years to try and create an internetwork linking SATNET, the Packet radio net, CSNET, and ARPANET when 1980 rolled around. Several hundred computers on some sort of internetwork! Yow!

The system didn't pass 10,000 machines until 1987. THEN it took off. 80,000 machines in January 1989, and 160,000 by November 1989. Folks gave up trying to make printed maps of the Internet.

Then Tim Berners-Lee got his NeXTCube and wrote his app to link physics papers together...

Back
Top Bottom