Temperature Extremes

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The thread on thermostat settings got me thinking. What's the coldest and hottest outside temperatures (in Fahrenheit) that you have personally experienced?

For me the extreams are ~8 degrees in Boston one winter and 117 in Las Vegas one summer.

Attached is a link to one of the thousands of Fahrenheit to Celsius converters available on the Internet for those who would like to convert their numbers.

Fahrenheit to Celsius converter (ºF to ºC)

Care to share yours?

Minus 40 (both C and F) and plus 38C (100.4 F), both in Winnipeg, Canada.

-55°F in January in Iceland (many years ago)

For some reason that stuck in my mind. No idea what the hottest was, probably over 120°F down in the Grand Canyon in the summer.

Lewiston, Idaho, about 118 degrees. I was working outside all day. Quite the sunburn!

Havre, MT, about -65 degrees. Thankfully I didn't have to work outside! Had the car plugged in, but engine still froze solid. Spilt water froze within seconds of hitting the ground.

The coldest I camped in was about -30. Also in Havre, MT.

For me the extreams are ~8 degrees in Boston one winter and 117 in Las Vegas one summer.

LOW: 48 below in Alaska

HIGH: 115 in Las Vegas but that was just the reported air temp. On the street downtown it was purported to be 130+

Just 3 summers ago here in Omaha the heat index (temp + humidity) was posted as being 125 degrees during a July heat wave

About the hottest was perhaps 105 F or 110 F in Maryland one year, lowest was -5 F one winter.

The hottest I ever worked in was 140, when working on an attic air handler in the summer. The 90 degrees when we came down felt cool.

118 in Phoenix and -24 in Omaha

-42F (-41C) in upstate NY (skiing...I know dumb but I was young) and also in Ottawa
120 (48.9C) in Phoenix - flights were grounded the next day when the temps hit 122 because the charts for length of runway vs temp only went to 120.

Yeah but it's a dry heat....:S

Attached is a link to one of the thousands of Fahrenheit to Celsius converters available on the Internet for those who would like to convert their numbers.
Care to share yours?
Lowest Burlington VT, 1967 -35F
Highest Leesburg FL 109F several times. 1990-2013

Try this for simple convert.

Attachments

• Thermometer.jpg
    Thermometer.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Coldest: -22F for me when I lived in Louisville KY in 1993-ish winter. Big storm dumped 20 inches of snow and then huge cold front. Literally shut down the city for 3-4 days, trucks and cars abandoned on highway, everyone except emergency personnel asked to stay home and stay off roads. Overall pretty crazy experience. At the time KY had this novel snow removal technique called solar melting. Salt was useless at those temps.

Hottest: 124F in Chico CA at my grandparents new place in 1976 (?). It was so hot the transformer on the pole exploded, lost all power. So we went to the mall and hung out to stay cool.

-41 and +105 both in North Dakota. The state records are -60 and +120.

Highest 119 in Needles,CA. Lowest -48 in Lake City, Co. Both were incredible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Here in the Philippines, it got down to 62 degrees Fahrenheit one night last year. I actually had to close my windows for 3 weeks in January due to the cold as I don't jibe well with mid-60's type cold weather.

Highest: Somewhere in the (very) high 120s in Riyadh.

Coldest: Northern Ontario in winter...don't know how cold...but it was COLD.

Coldest -23F, in kc, as I left w*rk another guy and I chose to walk out together. Then we opted to go to both cars to see if they'd start.

Hottest 115 in AZ, it's a dry heat alright. I did have to go into some dry kilns in high range about 165 F. Walked in 50 feet read two thermometers, got the heck out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've been in below 0 and above 100, but not suffered the extremes other folks here have endured. For me, anything below 20 is effing cold.

Indoor temperatures are something else. I've suffered through some pretty hot and cold moments, all work related, but these temperatures are measured on a different scale. :)

low was 69 high was 78. San Diego. Both extremes were taxing. :ROFLMAO:

LMAO.
(Although it was about 42 when I walked on the beach this morning. Had to wear a hoody it was so cold.)

Okinawa Japan - 105 (and close to 100% humidity).
Bellingham, WA - about 8 degrees.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom