Test Your Internet Speed

I don't know what we have here at work. It's a T-something or other connection. Anyway, I get a download speed of 548 kbps and an upload of 3.53 Mbps.

I'm not all that computer savvy, so could someone tell me why the two speeds would be different from each other?

Cut-Throat said:
You guys have nothing to complain about. I've got DSL and am 10 miles from Downtown Minneapolis.

220 kbps up 220 kbps down :(

img_455223_0_8595b6961ac75fe5839f0d36f61b8375.jpg
Your quality of service says 9%...mine is about 90%...should call Qwest and complain, maybe they can have a guy come out and put some liquid plumber down the dsl pipeline......what speed are you paying for?

DanTien said:
Your quality of service says 9%...mine is about 90%...should call Qwest and complain...what speed are you paying for?

You might check the speed again at various times throughout the day. I've found a lot of variability.

Gumby said:
7.78M down

1.85M up

That upload speed is one of the fastest I have seen. What type of internet connection do you have?

DanTien said:
Your quality of service says 9%...mine is about 90%...should call Qwest and complain, maybe they can have a guy come out and put some liquid plumber down the dsl pipeline......what speed are you paying for?

I called Qwest and they say the best I can get is 256 kbps - He says it's working perfect? :confused: - It's not like I'm in the middle of no-where. I don't understand the limitations on these speeds. My internet is working OK, I just don't understand why this is the fastest I can get>

Cut-Throat said:
I called Qwest and they say the best I can get is 256 kbps - He says it's working perfect? :confused: - It's not like I'm in the middle of no-where. I don't understand the limitations on these speeds. My internet is working OK, I just don't understand why this is the fastest I can get>

Some people I know with DSL can pay more per month and get higher speeds. Perhaps you have the lowest tier service.

Cut-Throat said:
Qwest has DSL at 256k which is what I did have...they also provide 1.5M and 7M

http://www.qwest.com/residential/internet/pricing.html

Cut-Throat said:
Not on my line! - They don't - This is the fastest I can get.
that sucks...how about your cable service...

DanTien said:
that sucks...how about your cable service...

Don't do cable. - Don't want to.

The speed is actually fine for my use. I just don't understand why my line has these limits. Like I said before. I am just outside of Downtown Minneapolis. :confused:

Cut-Throat said:
The speed is actually fine for my use. I just don't understand why my line has these limits. Like I said before. I just outside of Downtown Minneapolis. :confused:

IIRC, you said you live in a somewhat remote location, even though you are only 10 miles from downtown Minneapolis. Perhaps, the phone company hasn't run fiber optic cables to your area yet.

Cut-Throat said:
Don't do cable. - Don't want to.

The speed is actually fine for my use. I just don't understand why my line has these limits. Like I said before. I am just outside of Downtown Minneapolis. :confused:
Oh, I thought you were complaining about your DSL speed...I live under 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis and have the higher speeds...sometime back Qwest dug up the neighborhood to put in fiber optic....maybe they have a limited budget and can only do areas with enough business to make the investment pay...

DanTien said:
Oh, I thought you were complaining about your DSL speed...I live under 15 miles from downtown Minneapolis and have the higher speeds...sometime back Qwest dug up the neighborhood to put in fiber optic....maybe they have a limited budget and can only do areas with enough business to make the investment pay...

Well, it probably falls under the category of you can never be too rich or have too fast an internet speed!

9.05 down, 1.83 up...Cablevision service.

Attachments

• cable-speed.jpg
    cable-speed.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
  • cable-speed.jpg_thumb
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom