the best & worst of early retirement

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
best: not having to listen to a boss tell me how to do my job after he's told me he'd have no idea how to do my job.

worst: all the toys but no one to play with. i assume this will improve after mom's estate settles & i start traveling. but for now it kind of sucks.

the best: The feeling that I can do ANYTHING

the worst: All of these options of what to do and I can't decide what to do

The best: Independence in just about every respect.

The worst: I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

The best: just staying home when the windchill is -20F

The worst: $45,000 decrease in gross income

best:

Being fully engaged with raising our kid (not that there's anything wrong with good old-fashioned hedonism).

worst:

As somebody who is innately lazy, I miss the externally-imposed structure. Sometimes. A little bit. Ah, who am I kidding? There is no downside.

worst: all the toys but no one to play with. i assume this will improve after mom's estate settles & i start traveling. but for now it kind of sucks.

I'm not retired yet but I did take a year off once and had the same experience. It's a real problem. Everyone I knew was still absorbed in their jobs and couldn't get away. The worst part of that was that nobody was sympathetic to my lonely plight! ;-D

Hang in there -- more and more of your buddies will catch up with you every year.

shiny said:
the best: The feeling that I can do ANYTHING

the worst: All of these options of what to do and I can't decide what to do

Same here.

I've said for some time that one of the worst evils in the world is having too many choices. People spend a lot of time noodling over what to do and then they're too tired to do what they finally pick. Or they're sure one of the other choices would have been more fun/better.
lazygood4nothinbum said:
best: not having to listen to a boss tell me how to do my job after he's told me he'd have no idea how to do my job.

Maybe florida will pass a law or two that lets you get married...then this will change. :)

Best: Independence; freedom.

Worst: None. Oh I guess I miss some of my co-workers. No, that's not true now after 3 years. So, None...

Best = FREEDOM. We just got back from a trip to southern AZ - we took our time checking out the the sights, resturants etc. - I kept on thinking..I need to check my E mail/voice mail only to remember that I don't! I did not go online all week :D

Worst = Although not that pressing - Occasional concerns over the portfolio lasting a lifetime. But I did print my Firecal analysis and re-read that 100%...that has been working.
In other words....there is not a downside!

It's great to see that almost everyone feels the best part is doing/having/being more of something positive instead of escaping from something negative!!!

Nords said:
The best: Independence in just about every respect.

The worst: I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

Not quite there yet....but that's 'xactly what I was thinking!! And that's the way my plans are being laid! :D

Back
Top Bottom