Join Early Retirement Today

The ER Forum Status Line -- For When the Forum Goes Down
Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The ER Forum Status Line -- For When the Forum Goes Down

Bookmark the following URL:

http://EarlyRetirementStatus.freeforums.org/

If you ever try to access the Early Retirement forum, but can't get on, go to that site to find out what's happening. That is, you'll find out if other people are also having problems.

Hopefully, the administrators of this forum (The Early Retirement Forum) will post a thread there whenever a problem has developed, stating what's wrong and when it might be fixed.

I'm not sure this will work, and I don't want to spend much time administering it, but it could be valuable next time the servers go down.

What do you think?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just posted your link on the moderators board in case Andy misses your post.

Cool idea.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Administrator

I registered so I can post updated in the future...

Often times it's the feedback from members that alerts me that things are not running properly. So I would like to ask for help from others to alert me if you have having problems, seeing errors, etc. My email address is andy @ socialknowledge.com. There are various things I can do like restart the web server, repair/optimize the database or restart MySQL. It's often one of these that will resolve 95% of the issues.

Also, if the site is totally down and you have not heard from me, please email me at andy @ socialknowledge.com. Often if there is a major emergency going on I am focused on getting it fixed so it's good to email me for a response. I will likely ask you to "pass it on" so the other can be informed.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm not sure this will work, and I don't want to spend much time administering it, but it could be valuable next time the servers go down.

What do you think?
It's a great idea. Would a simple HTML page or blog work, or is a whole other BBS required for this purpose?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A page would work for announcements from Andy, but not for problem reports from users (not without programming). The forum only took me 30 minutes to set up, is free, and has no ads.