The Fat Man

He made us all feel good, and AFAIK he was a very good person as well. RIP

Thank you, W2R. That was a wonderful link.

I remember being shown his house in the lower 9th Ward after Katrina. It was a local legend, of course.

Ain't That A Shame

So many of my heroes are leaving us. I recall loving the "Fat Man's" songs when I was in 3rd grade. RIP indeed.

Nothing against Fats Domino, but when I saw the title I immediately thought of Cannon played by William Conrad.

Aint't that a shame. RIP Fats. I grew up in New Orleans and heard him most days on am. radio. Great guy.

I was a big fan. I think Fats Domino must have inspired the name Chubby Checker? I was half expecting someone to take the name Pudgy Parcheesi next?

After reading the news, found myself humming and singing... Brought back memories of my early college years... when we knew all the words to all the the music. Yeah... DW (then girlfriend) and I danced and dreamed.
Thanks for the memories.
:)

I was a big fan. I think Fats Domino must have inspired the name Chubby Checker? I was half expecting someone to take the name Pudgy Parcheesi next?

Yes, he used to do impressions of Fats Domino and Dick Clark's wife gave him the stage name.

From the article I linked to above,
Diamond gave Mr. Domino his nickname during a 1948 gig at the Robin Hood Club, Coleman wrote, because he felt the young man would be as famous as two other noted pianists with that moniker, Fats Waller and Fats Pichon.

The prospect of fame wasn't the only reason he thought of that nickname that night. Diamond told Coleman that he had thought, "If he keeps eating, he's gonna be just as big."
So, I guess Mr. Domino got his nickname from Fats Waller and Fats Pichon.

Growing up in high school, my best friend had a powder blue mustang w/3 on the floor, a rotary telephone that he'd set on the drive shaft hump and hold up to the chicks and say, "it's for you" (such a wit) and a 4 track with maybe 2 tapes one of which had Blueberry Hill on endless loop. That and Sly Stone Get Up and Dance to the Music. 2 white kids from So Cal. Wow, flashback to '69.

Back
Top Bottom