R.I.P. Melanie

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
She was one of only three solo women who played at Woodstock in 1969. Her experience there inspired her hit: "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)." Her subsequent hit "Brand New Key" was banned on some stations for sexual innuendo. Lay Down:

https://youtu.be/hlp3wmE4bbI

A truly mesmerizing song. RIP.

Melanie spent her high school years around my old neck of the woods in Red Bank/Long Branch on the Jersey Shore. She made a name for herself locally by playing LB's West End the coffeehouse circuit, places like the Inkwell. And that opened doors for her in the Greenwich Village. Of course, it didn't hurt that she was cute as a button, in a hippie sort of way.

When 'Nookie' started getting airplay, she was off to the races. She worked hard at her craft playing outdoor festivals in USA, Canada and Europe.
Melanie, you will be missed.

Five Driver, I hear you. I just read about the sad news in today's Asbury Park Press, while at my home in Long Branch. The Press had a story about how she was flown by helicopter up to Woodstock to perform, but they wouldn't let her mom who came with her get on the copter. They dropped her off and then a few hours later at 11pm, she went on stage. What an amazing experience for a young mostly unknown talent that launched her career.

I wasn't a resident here back then, but I've been to those spots you mentioned that she played at. I put on a shuffle of her music on Tidal this morning. She will be missed (as is the Inkwell).

Wow, I wasn't familiar with her at all - not even the name. Yet, that song in the OP does sound familiar.

Love that song

Thank you Melanie and I hope you rest in peace.

I grew up in Monmouth county NJ.
Attended Monmouth College (now University) in the 70s.
Asbury Park and the Inkwell live brightly in my heart.

Outside of the song "Ohio" by CSNY, nothing brings the 60s back to my memories like "Laydown". RIP

I remember listening to her catchy song "Brand New Key" back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom