The Pension Problem

Where were the public employee unions in Illinois when all this was going on? Supposedly, they are so phenomenally powerful that they could have demanded generous contributions to the pension and got them. Or were they part of the problem?
I think it's pretty common knowledge amongst Illinois residents that the public employee unions are in the pockets of the dominant political party. This thread, since the OP referenced Illinois, could quickly head off the tracks on a political tangent. So I'll just say that the public employee unions and "the party" have a mutually beneficial relationship often to the detriment of union members and citizens who are just cannon fodder in the game.
So, an underfunded pension, no SS benefits to speak of, and politicians and union leaders who don't seem to give a hoot. Well, time to get that 2nd job and work until at 70 or more. At least they probably won't get Alzheimer's.

It is indeed a sad situation for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
Alternate explanation?
Why are you asking me to explain the workings of Illinois public employee unions and their relationship to "the party?" My earlier comments made no reference to unions, directly or implied. You live in Illinois. If you don't already understand these things, you are either very naïve or trying to make a joke at my expense. You do understand how things work here, right?

Last edited:
Why are you asking me to explain the workings of Illinois public unions and their relationship to "the party?" My earlier comments made no reference to unions, directly or implied. You live in Illinois. If you don't already know this, you are either very naïve or trying to make a joke at my expense. You do understand how things work here, right?

Just putting it out there for airing. Others on the forum may not know how things work in IL. The request for an alternate explanation was open to everyone.

I also would not be surprised if a significant % of IL pensioners had never considered that explanation. I suppose many of them went on somewhat oblivious to this. Just as I probably didn't know much (if anything) about the PBGC at the time. And now they reasonably expect the promise to be kept, but there just may be no way to do that.

Rock, meet hard place.

-ERD50

Just putting it out there for airing. Others on the forum may not know how things work in IL. The request for an alternate explanation was open to everyone.
Oh, I see. I've gone back and read your post again and it seems pretty clear you were poking at me about it and referring to me by name. But, whatever......
I also would not be surprised if a significant % of IL pensioners had never considered that explanation. I suppose many of them went on somewhat oblivious to this.
Many employees just go about their jobs and assume things like pension formulas, benefit packages, next week's wages, etc., will happen as promised. Remember the folks pulling the wool over their eyes were folks like inmate Rod Blagojevich whose off the wall actions might be difficult for the average Joe to anticipate. Too bad. Now they're screwed.
And now they reasonably expect the promise to be kept, but there just may be no way to do that.

Rock, meet hard place.

-

Happy now?

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I've gone back and read your post again and it seems pretty clear you were poking at me about it and referring to me by name. But, whatever......

Yes, I was responding to your comments, but the discussion is open ended. I use them as a springboard for further discussion. You can choose to respond or not, or maybe someone else will. Not sure what difference this makes?

Many employees just go about their jobs and assume things like pension formulas, benefit packages, next week's wages, etc., will happen as promised. Remember the folks pulling the wool over their eyes were folks like inmate Rod Blagojevich whose off the wall actions might be difficult for the average Joe to anticipate. Too bad. Now they're screwed.

Happy now?

I was just pointing out in this thread, the politicians are not the only ones at fault. Often they are the sole target for the under funding issue, but it seems they had assistance.

It's a bad situation. If you're inferring I'm taking some pleasure from this, you are mistaken. But regardless of how we got here, the situation is what it is. How do we move forward?

As I said earlier, I'd like to see Gov Quinn put it in household budget terms. I think that would facilitate some discussion, and frame possible solutions. I know there's been talk, just like with SS, that adjustments will need to be made to assure that something is there for everyone. Maybe some reasonable proposal is some tax increases, along with some modifications for the higher level pensions, so lower income pensioners are not affected. Not unlike the model of the PBGC for private pensions. I'd sure like to see some proposals on the table and getting exposure and healthy debate. If they keep kicking the can, we could hit a brick wall where payments stop for everyone, because there just isn't anything there. I think that would be the worst outcome for the pensioners, and I don't want to see that. I'm hoping we (Illinois) can be pro-active and spread some moderate pain to save something for those most at risk, but that appears to be just a hope.

-ERD50

I was just pointing out in this thread, the politicians are not the only ones at fault. Often they are the sole target for the under funding issue, but it seems they had assistance.
No. The then gov did not have much assistance. It's hard to not give Blagojevich the majority of the credit for the 2005 "pension holiday." He openly takes full credit. A creative mind can imagine some non-political hero who could and should have jumped in and stopped him, and there are records of speeches in the Springfield house of folks trying to do so (see my post mentioning Chicago Magazine). But when the buck passing begins and ends at the gov's desk, it's hard to get too excited about and place blame on the little guys who screamed but not loud enough and were run over by Da Machine.
If you're inferring I'm taking some pleasure from this, you are mistaken.
Really?
I know there's been talk, just like with SS, that adjustments will need to be made to assure that something is there for everyone.
There's been more than talk, just no agreements. Have you read the legislation that's been introduced in one or the other of the houses in Springfield? It's been all over the media and is readily available for your review.
I'd sure like to see some proposals on the table and getting exposure and healthy debate.
Have you read the legislation that's been introduced in one or the other of the houses in Springfield? It's been all over the media and is readily available for your review.

Most of the proposals (via introduced legislation) so far share these elements:

1. Employees contribute larger percentages of their salary.

2. New hires, existing employees and retirees all take cuts to both already earned credits and to future credits. One proposal for retirees does offer the option of continuing the current pension level but they loose subsidized retiree medical coverage. So, for example, a retiree might chose to give up retiree health insurance and go with ACA in lieu of taking the pension cut. This was designed to provide a "choice" and avoid the change seeming to be a diminishment of their pension which is prohibited in the state constitution. I thought this was clever. The state saves by either reducing the retiree's pension or by no longer providing subsidized health insurance. (Subsidized health insurance is not protected in the constitution.)

3. Lots of misc rule changes to eliminate spiking and other abuses.

4. The state's contributions remain non-mandatory and the unions continue to be prohibited from suing if the state fails to contribute.

5. The state's contributions, if and when made, continue to be determined by political calculation rather than actuarial calculation.

I have no problem with #1, #2 or #3. But #4 and #5 just seem stupid. We reduce pension costs by reducing the value of retirement benefits earned in the future and the already earned retirement credits of current employees and retirees but then leave the door open for a future governor (Blagojevich-2 ?) to continue the practice of "pension holidays?" What's the point of that?

I do think part of the solution is to put state employees into the SS system. Then they will at least know that their 6% SS contribution is being matched dollar for dollar by the employer. And the Feds could step in with the handcuffs when Illinois decides to take a "SS holiday." SS + a 3% 401k/403b match could look mighty, mighty sweet to a new State of Illinois employee right now.

I think the state could also win a lot of good will if they offered preferential treatment in hiring back past employees who retired in the last few years and who find themselves in a strained financial situation if cuts to retiree pensions turn out to be more than superficial. With teachers, this could be done by modifying the rules on double dipping to allow going back and working part time in the same school or system they retired from. Actually, that could work for any employee.

Last edited:
Seems like those giving, receiving and those paying thru taxes for some of these pensions and healthcare benefits had their heads burried in the sand when it comes to the adage, if its too good to be true, it probably is.

I suspect the solution will involve some pain for everyone: existing and future workers, existing retirees and tax payers.

Last edited:
I suspect the solution will involve some pain for everyone: existing and future workers, existing retirees and tax payers.

"Politicians" are conspicuously absent from your list of those that will share in the pain. I agree with you.

"Politicians" are conspicuously absent from your list of those that will share in the pain. I agree with you.

Yep, they deserve a special class of pain like no other.

I think it's pretty common knowledge amongst Illinois residents that the public employee unions are in the pockets of the dominant political party.

Alas, often the unions are so heavily one sided when it comes to party politics that the party they favor can take them for granted since they know they can count on them every election even if they ran a toothless, homeless, retired, dog catcher for governor. And, the party they don't favor sees no point in doing the slightest thing to garner their favor since granting 9 out of 10 requests would only get them criticism for not granting the 10th request.

At least that's the way it appears to me in my home state.

Sadly, in Illinois, it does not matter who the dominant party is - they are all crooks !:mad:

A lifelong Illinois resident and not proud of it .:nonono:

Wow. It hurts to see what is going on in my native state. When I visit there, I get a headache over all the discussion, much like I get a headache reading the above posts.

I don't think I can ever go back home. I just can't take on that kind of problem. No thanks.

And sadly, I'm hearing much of my friends and family wanting to "get out" as they near retirement. IL has some really serious issues to solve and they keep pushing it off.

From the Chicago Tribune
Chicago bond ratings slashed - chicagotribune.com
excerpts:
Moody's Investors Service has slashed Chicago's general obligation and sales tax ratings by three notches to A3 from Aa3 due to the city's large and growing pension liabilities and related budget troubles.

Moody's also lowered its rating on Chicago's water and sewer senior lien bonds to A1 from Aa2 and its rating on the city's second lien bonds to A2 from Aa3, which affects $3.3 billion of debt. The rating agency's outlook on the debt is negative.

Illinois lawmakers are struggling to solve the state's own $100 billion unfunded pension crisis, forcing local pension problems to the sidelines.

A3 to Aa3 ... that's 3 notches... not a small reduction.

Last edited:
I grew up in Springfield. Great horseshoes and cozy dogs and melo-cream donuts. Oh ya, and mob murders. Nice town.

I fear there will be coming pension defaults. Another good reason to have a 401k or IRA.

Well, as far as Illinois goes, I'm hoping they delay as long as possible since I'm doing everything I can to leave this forsaken state. I don't want my taxes raised to pay for this BS before I have a change to leave.

Steel

Well, as far as Illinois goes, I'm hoping they delay as long as possible since I'm doing everything I can to leave this forsaken state. I don't want my taxes raised to pay for this BS before I have a change to leave.

Steel

There haven't been any proposals of tax increases in regard to fixing the pension problem, although you never know what could pop out of the talks in the future. So far it has involved current employees paying more and reduced pension benefits for new hires, current employees and retirees. It seems to just be a matter of coming to an agreement on how to spread the pain among the employees.

But, I agree with you on leaving. I have a touchy family situation involving a special needs grandson (cerebral palsy) who needs my DW's help or we'd be out of here like a speeding bullet. The culture of corruption and dishonesty of Da Machine gives me an acid stomach.

Last edited:
There haven't been any proposals of tax increases in regard to fixing the pension problem, although you never know what could pop out of the talks in the future. So far it has involved current employees paying more and reduced pension benefits for new hires, current employees and retirees. It seems to just be a matter of coming to an agreement on how to spread the pain among the employees.

But, I agree with you on leaving. I have a touchy family situation involving a special needs grandson (cerebral palsy) who needs my DW's help or we'd be out of here like a speeding bullet. The culture of corruption and dishonesty of Da Machine gives me an acid stomach.

+1 o the acid stomach. I'd be out of here if it wasn't for the dw.

Well, given the history of the state, major tax increases are inevitable. I figure I am stuck here for at least 5 more years till i can ER and bail. I'm really hoping the improving economy masks the issues long enough for me to avoid any more harm to my plan from taxes :cool:

Steel

Well, given the history of the state, major tax increases are inevitable. I figure I am stuck here for at least 5 more years till i can ER and bail. I'm really hoping the improving economy masks the issues long enough for me to avoid any more harm to my plan from taxes :cool:

Steel

I don't know about that. If you're referring to the state income tax, we just had a "temporary" 67% increase from 3% to 5% flat and I hear more talk about rolling that back on schedule than about extending it. Let alone moving upwards from 5%. But, again, you never know.

My prediction (worth exactly what you're paying for it) is that the pension problem will be "solved" by having employees (current and retirees) pay more and get less and will not involve a tax increase. There seems to be some party infighting (the Illinois equivalent of fighting between two parties in two party states but we just have one party) and I don't think either side wants to mention raising income taxes again.

I think we're more likely to see services deteriorate even more and the riff between NE Illinois and downstate intensify. (They are two extremely different cultures.)

When "the deciders" finally figure out how they want to apportion the pain among the state employees and retirees and get pension funding more or less solved, there will be a brief lull in the spending action followed by a renewed spending spree that will quickly drag the state back into new depths of financial depravity. State legislators are much more concerned about getting their share of the new spending that will occur once the pension mess is fixed than they are about actually getting the pension mess fixed. That's why it's taking so long.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. If you're referring to the state income tax, we just had a "temporary" 67% increase from 3% to 5% flat and I hear more talk about rolling that back on schedule than about extending it. Let alone moving upwards from 5%. But, again, you never know.

My prediction (worth exactly what you're paying for it) is that the pension problem will be "solved" by having employees (current and retirees) pay more and get less and will not involve a tax increase. There seems to be some party infighting (the Illinois equivalent of fighting between two parties in two party states but we just have one party) and I don't think either side wants to mention raising income taxes again.

I think we're more likely to see services deteriorate even more and the riff between NE Illinois and downstate intensify. (They are two extremely different cultures.)

When "the deciders" finally figure out how they want to apportion the pain among the state employees and retirees and get pension funding more or less solved, there will be a brief lull in the spending action followed by a renewed spending spree that will quickly drag the state back into new depths of financial depravity. State legislators are much more concerned about getting their share of the new spending that will occur once the pension mess is fixed than they are about actually getting the pension mess fixed. That's why it's taking so long.

I was reading in the STL Post today that the Illinois legislatures are looking at having a graduated income tax. Undoubtably some probing to see if they can get the base rate back for lower incomes, yet able to continue bringing in the additional dollars. The paper mentioned that many states do have graduated levels including MO. What I found humorous was they neglected to mention Mo's "graduated level" ends at under a $1000 income. Unindexed from inflation since the 1930s I believe. I am surprised Illinois hasn't considered taxing public pensions as income. Very few states have that total exemption. They could tax the pensions as income to help pay for the pensions. :)

I was reading in the STL Post today that the Illinois legislatures are looking at having a graduated income tax. Undoubtably some probing to see if they can get the base rate back for lower incomes, yet able to continue bringing in the additional dollars.

Yes, but a flat tax is in the IL Constition, not easy to change:

Illinois’ constitution mandates a flat income tax rate across all income levels. To change that, both chambers of the Legislature would have to pass a resolution by a three-fifths vote to put a measure on the ballot asking voters to amend the constitution. That ballot question would then need to be approved by either three-fifths of those voting on the measure or the majority of those voting in the election.

They could tax the pensions as income to help pay for the pensions. :)

Economic Perpetual Motion! ;) But seriously, it certainly could happen, don't know if there is any constitutional restriction or not - it might even be considered under the constitution clause that benefits cannot be reduced?

-ERD50

My mom was on one of the citizens committees for the current Constitution. Growing up in the 70's and having those mandatory civics classes, I could proudly claim to my classmates how we are all part of the process. After all, my mom participated in our current (then new) Constitution!

Now... cough... I'm not so proud. I keep hearing time and time again about the Constitutional blocks to certain solutions. Now I just tell myself that Mom was many of thousands of citizens in some stupid meeting that just rubber stamped what the lawyers and [-]da machine goons[/-] Representatives presented.

My mom was on one of the citizens committees for the current Constitution. ...

Now... cough... I'm not so proud.

I think you should still be proud, heck, very proud. Even if, and maybe this could only be seen in hind-sight, some of those changes ended up causing problems down the road, it was done by an agreed upon process. The changes had to be approved by those majorities.

And if needed, they can be changed again. That's the process. I think it's admirable that your mother was an active part of that process.

-ERD50

I think you should still be proud, heck, very proud. Even if, and maybe this could only be seen in hind-sight, some of those changes ended up causing problems down the road, it was done by an agreed upon process. The changes had to be approved by those majorities.

And if needed, they can be changed again. That's the process. I think it's admirable that your mother was an active part of that process.

-ERD50
Yeah, you're right.

It was interesting. She used to have a set of booklets of various revisions of the constitution with strikethrus and revisions and such. It was fun to read.

I'm also not sure how many States have tried to do this in recent history. Illinois used to do a lot of things very proudly. That's what is so distressing with the latest turn of events. There's not much to be proud of.

Back
Top Bottom