The Sweetest Day

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Saturday we decided to go out for dinner. Wanting to try something new I called a few places in the late afternoon. After 17 restaurants confirmed they had no openings we gave up and decided to get some take out. Recession?

Commenting yesterday to DD at her place, she responded – Right. Saturday was the sweetest day. My first thought was it was a nice sunny day – but a bit cool. I thought she was talking about the weather, but no, after repeating the same phrase over and again she said – “Here in the Midwest they’re creating a new holiday, kind of like Valentine’s day, called “The Sweetest Day”. Sweetest Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the first time I ever heard of this and wonder if it is new to others as well.

candy, electronics and sex.

I was starting to compose something involving robots who pull taffy, but decided it was likely to get me banned from the board...

candy, electronics and sex.

I was starting to compose something involving robots who pull taffy, but decided it was likely to get me banned from the board...
Gosh, I don't know why you would be banned, those taffy pullers are everywhere...:angel:
img_1121903_0_482c2d4783c106746fc0ee7fc641d60c.jpg

Unless...:blush::blush::blush:

I lived in the suburbs of Cleveland and Detroit for over 30 years. To answer your question, Sweetest Day has been celebrated in those 2 locales, much like a Valentine's Day in October. Couples exchange gifts, cards, and usually go out for dinner.

I don't know about the robotic, taffy-pullers. :confused: They seem more like denizens of tourist-trap coastal areas. LOL :ROFLMAO:

omni

In that order, or all at once? :cool:
:LOL:
I never heard of The Sweetest Day, but it does have me thinking here...I'll double check my backup battery supply. ;)
I'm not sure why the retail industry thinks we need to hire a team of trained professionals to handle these activities, but I'm willing to do my share of consumer research...

I never heard of Sweetest Day until glancing at the Wikipedia article cited above, but in this case I'm glad I never heard of it - - I'm not much of a fan of so-called Hallmark Holidays.

From what I understand it's not like working folks will actually get that day off. All it means is that people will feel guilty if they don't spend their free time and money to buy cards, candy, and so on. That's almost an anti-holiday IMO.

All it means is that people will feel guilty if they don't spend their free time and money to buy cards, candy, and so on.
It's that so-on that has the men all a-twitter.

I'm not sure why the retail industry thinks we need to hire a team of trained professionals to handle these activities, but I'm willing to do my share of consumer research...

And please recommend a contingency plan for the inevitability of a prolonged power outtage...:cool:

Yes, but how am I going to explain the brown-out in my immediate neighborhood ? :cool:

Isn't that illegal?
This thread is an example of one that can turn on a dime.:confused::confused:
Starts talking about taffy pullers and morphs into threats of power failures.
Just so you know, if the pullers stop, the taffy will go limp and sink to the floor.:(

img_1121980_0_482c2d4783c106746fc0ee7fc641d60c.jpg

I think men would prefer a 'Salty Day'. .....nachos, Salty Dog/Margarita and [-]salt water taffy[/-] sex.

I remember "sweetest day" from the olden days; however, it must be something that is not relavent anymore. I have a desk calendar that has every celebrated day noted and nothing is mentioned about sweetest day. I was just in the gift store and bought a few birthday cards and don't remember seeing one card relative to sweetest day. Didn't know it was still celebrated.

I'd never heard of it either. Perhaps I'm just cranky today but it sure sounds like a manufactured holiday like Valentine's Day to sell more cards in a slow season.

Unless, of course, the electronics and sex are for real....

Back
Top Bottom