The Wrong Wood Swelled Up

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a wooden fence, which in turn, has a wooden gate. Well, let me tell you, since it rained the other day, the wood on the wooden gate has swollen and…hey, it’s raining again and I just had this idea that if rain swells wood that if I go outside into the rain…I’ll be back in a few minutes…

I'm back....

Darn. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but you know (or, probably could figure out) I always did have trouble with extrapolation. Anyhow, let’s get back to the fence problem. The gate won’t close. I would like to fix it myself if for no other reason than I could post it in the “Share My FIRE Milestones” thread.

I’m not a DIY guy, so I would need a tool that won’t cause me injury, is easy to use, is inexpensive and that I can buy at Home Depot.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

We have a wooden fence, which in turn, has a wooden gate. Well, let me tell you, since it rained the other day, the wood on the wooden gate has swollen and…hey, it’s raining again and I just had this idea that if rain swells wood that if I go outside into the rain…I’ll be back in a few minutes…

I'm back....

Darn. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but you know (or, probably could figure out) I always did have trouble with extrapolation. Anyhow, let’s get back to the fence problem. The gate won’t close. I would like to fix it myself if for no other reason than I could post it in the “Share My FIRE Milestones” thread.

I’m not a DIY guy, so I would need a tool that won’t cause me injury, is easy to use, is inexpensive and that I can buy at Home Depot.

Any ideas?

In LA it will stop raining soon enough, and the gate will again function. In the meantime, secure it with a piece of parachute cord or other light cord. Some easily bent wire will also work. Otherwise, call a handyman.

Ha

If it doesn't get back to normal within four hours, your doctor will fix it for you.

Not sure if WD is serious...
Once the wood has lost it's swollen size, what you need to do is protect it with a waterproof membrane.

So paint or stain or varathan your wooden gate when it's dry and small, so it won't absorb water next time.

If you can dismount the gate, then depending on the overlap you could just sand the gate down with a drill based sander, use a plane or even a jig saw. (Being as it is water based swelling, then sanding down may be all that is needed, or perhaps a hand plane if the overlap is more that a few 100s of an inch. (Of course this assumes the gate is still square, otherwise some turnbuckles and wire may be needed to bring it back to square)

Had a chain-link fence around the patio/pool area for 30+ years until a tornado took part of it out in 2008. Decided to get fancy and have a wood fence put in because the chain-link didn't provide a lot of privacy. Always thought wood shrunk over time and was surprised to find it also expands. Have probably changed the position of the latches 6 or 7 times, and finally just learned to live with it. Sometimes gates swell up and it's almost impossible to get them open, and other times the gates shrink and I have to put the latch in the 'lock' mode so it won't swing open.

Sounds as if you need to find a friend that has a circular saw. Remove the gate and have your friend cut 1/8" off the edge of the door and see if it still sticks.

If you're not handy with tools, you need to learn to do minor home maintenance jobs.

1) Assuming this is pressure-treated wood, it will still be protected from the elements if you are just removing 1/2" or less. If you want it to match the rest of your stained/painted fence, then you'd need to stain/paint the newly exposed area.
2) Be sure to check that the gate is still square (measure corner to corner, compare) and hanging straight (the gap at the hinges is the same when closed, and the post it is attached to is still straight up. I'd say it's far more likely that the gate is out of square or "sagging" than that the wood has swollen up (if the gate always closed in the past).
3) If you really need to trim the gate, you could trim either the hinge side or the latch side. Latch side is normally easier. As previously suggested, a circular saw (with a straightedge or edge guide) will work fine, but you'll have to remove the gate. If you want to get fancy, you could buy a small portable electric planer at Harbor Freight, it will give a little more control, but a circular saw would work fine and is a more useful tool to have around. Round over the edges (router, or a file and some sandpaper). Treated wood is hazardous, so carefully catch and throw away (in the trash is okay, I think) any shavings and sawdust, and wash your hands.

Last edited:
In LA it will stop raining soon enough, and the gate will again function. In the meantime, secure it with a piece of parachute cord or other light cord. Some easily bent wire will also work. Otherwise, call a handyman.

It stopped raining (just as you predicted). Calling a handyman has always been my default, but they do charge about $100 to come to the house, so I thought I might try to fix it myself this time.

Not sure if WD is serious...
Once the wood has lost it's swollen size, what you need to do is protect it with a waterproof membrane.

So paint or stain or varathan your wooden gate when it's dry and small, so it won't absorb water next time.

The wooden gate is already painted and stained. I'll try varathan (which may be already on it, but I guess another coat wouldn't hurt. (BTW, small and dry is the condition that originally sent me out into the rain).

If you can dismount the gate, then depending on the overlap you could just sand the gate down with a drill based sander, use a plane or even a jig saw. (Being as it is water based swelling, then sanding down may be all that is needed,...

I might be able to dismantle, but there is no way the I could re-mantle it back together again. But sanding it (will sandpaper work or do I need a plane?) sounds like a good idea and then I could verathane it?

Sounds as if you need to find a friend that has a circular saw. Remove the gate and have your friend cut 1/8" off the edge of the door and see if it still sticks.

If you're not handy with tools, you need to learn to do minor home maintenance jobs.

Well, I once had a friend, Freebird5825, but she left (hope she returns). I'm sure she had a circular saw. But, I can't see me using any kind of plug-in machinery other than a vacuum cleaner. I'm not even sure I've ever seen a circular saw. Guess I could move to Texas, where, as I understand it, everybody has at least one. I think it might be some sort of Second Amendment issue.

What ?!? Redduck is really a decoy duck?

But how do decoy ducks float and not absorb water? I guess the key is to preserve one's duck with the proper sealant. I have used Thompson sealer in the past with good results. Water poured on treated bricks or wood just beads up and rolls off, just like when poured over, well, a duck.

Vallero_Spring_Valley_Illinois_Mallard_Duck_Decoy3.jpg

ee51d89f-d50f-4baf-a246-d632bea56c05_1.b9ef875271625569c00c36d525406c5e.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be able to dismantle, but there is no way the I could re-mantle it back together again. But sanding it (will sandpaper work or do I need a plane?) sounds like a good idea and then I could verathane it?

Well, I once had a friend, Freebird5825, but she left (hope she returns). I'm sure she had a circular saw. But, I can't see me using any kind of plug-in machinery other than a vacuum cleaner. I'm not even sure I've ever seen a circular saw. Guess I could move to Texas, where, as I understand it, everybody has at least one. I think it might be some sort of Second Amendment issue.
The question is how big is the overlap. In principal sandpaper would work but it might take a very long time if there is a lot of material to remove.
If the overlap is just in a 1x6 board then a jig saw (or if your willing to take a long time a regular long handsaw would work to trim as well) Such saws probably cost less that $20 if powered by muscle.

Is this the Freebird that was in upstate NY? I happened to be in Rochester in a snow storm and she was posting about cheese shops. What ever dd happen to her?

With respect to saws in Texas, we all have chain saws and guns to ward off big critters and to cut down big trees. I'm not so sure you will be a good fit in these parts if you don't know much about saws. There's a list of reasons why people should stay out of Texas floating around here somewhere.

Is this the Freebird that was in upstate NY? I happened to be in Rochester in a snow storm and she was posting about cheese shops. What ever dd happen to her?

...There's a list of reasons why people should stay out of Texas floating around here somewhere.

About freebird5825
Gender Female City/Town East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY State Solid at the current temperature Occupation Retired Engineer Retirement Year 2007.

I don't know what freebird5825 is up to (other than posting signs about cheese shops).

As for that "stay of out Texas" list--Yes, I've seen it. Somebody has been sending it to me on a monthly basis. Any guesses?

About freebird5825
Gender Female City/Town East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY State Solid at the current temperature Occupation Retired Engineer Retirement Year 2007.

I don't know what freebird5825 is up to (other than posting signs about cheese shops).

As for that "stay of out Texas" list--Yes, I've seen it. Somebody has been sending it to me on a monthly basis. Any guesses?

It's possible freebird5825 just froze to death in upstate NY and didn't tell us. And yes, I know who is sending you the List.:D

... If you want to get fancy, you could buy a small portable electric planer at Harbor Freight, it will give a little more control, but a circular saw would work fine and is a more useful tool to have around. Round over the edges (router, or a file and some sandpaper). Treated wood is hazardous, so carefully catch and throw away (in the trash is okay, I think) any shavings and sawdust, and wash your hands.

I checked out Harbor Freight and a whole new world opened up to me. I had no idea that somebody had invented a portable electric planer. (The idea of my using a circular saw makes everyone around me rather nervous).

The fence is about 60 years old and has always stayed outside no matter what the weather--guess it might be considered to be an "outdoor fence." Does that make any difference in what I decide to do to it?

And, thanks for the heads-up regarding the hand-washing.

It's a matter of age (the gate's). It's sixty years old! Just get a beautiful, new gate and then you won't have this problem. Of course everyone will hate on you for getting rid of the faithful old gate, but they're really just jealous.

It's a matter of age (the gate's). It's sixty years old! Just get a beautiful, new gate and then you won't have this problem. Of course everyone will hate on you for getting rid of the faithful old gate, but they're really just jealous.

Yes. He could have three twenty year old gates instead. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom