Is it meant to be?

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else feel that some things are just meant to be:confused:?

We lost our dog last fall, this is the 1st time since 1985 that we have not had one underfoot. The DW still balks at the idea of getting another... So our Daughter asked if we could go by our local shelter to get vouchers to fix their new stray cat that decided to adopt them along with a gift of 4 kittens.
We decide to jump on the Harley and get some riding in before rain moves in.
We get to the shelter and several dogs are being walked around... I get to pet a few. We go in, and I asked her if she wanted to just look at a few just because we are there.... NO... WE DONT NEED A DOG...
We get the paperwork and go back and standing at the bike... She calls our daughter, and returns a call for work... and this lady comes walking up with a volunteer name tag on.... "Beautiful day for a ride" ...so the chit chat begins...
My DW says.... "This is what you need to do... volunteer here and get your dog fix"
She replied about they need the help, but it also can be heart breaking... and goes into a story about a family breaking down crying because they had to give up their 5 year old Rottweiler this morning.
DW starts telling about how we had rescued 2 different Rotties over the years... I wanted to take a look at her...The DW reluctantly follows.
Back in the shelter we go... The main guy informs us that they need to do a eval and workup but we could take a look.... As we walk out back... bunch of yipping and barking going on, but way down back in a separate kennel we spot her... Shes just standing there looking.. As we start down the stairs I say hello sweat pea and she just starts wagging her whole backside, and spinning. We get licked thru the cage as she starts grunting and carrying on like a puppy, but never jumped up on the fence. As DW recounts stories of our other Rotts, the guy says he could but us on the list as 1st in line... Wife gives me a scowling look.....
I ask.... Whats her name?
"Harley"
DW asked the guy for a pen and paper, wrote down our contact info and told me to just shut up.... we would talk later.....

Yup, that's your new dog!! :D

I think your daughter knew exactly what she was doing sending you to the shelter. :cool:

This is a great story.
I do believe that some things are just meant to be.
I hope you get Harley and that the family is notified that she went to a good home.

I hope you get Harley and that the family is notified that she went to a good home.

We already asked if it was possible to exchange info as they are welcome to come and visit.
Whats sucks is had we been there when they opened, we would have met them... only missed them by a few minutes.

Was the dog's name really Harley, or could the shelter volunteer have just been saying that in an attempt to encourage you to adopt her (the doggie, not the volunteer!)

Definitely meant to be! Please share pictures when you have Harley home with you.

Having a dog suits your style, old medic. We tried to be tough and brave, I lasted about 3 days after our beloved Rocky Rocket had to go.
No regrets. These two needed a forever home.
Many happy memories to you.

Definitely meant to be!
What a lovely story.

Our last guy had been gone almost a year, I look at rescues online, but not ready to commit yet. I miss the snuggles and love the wags and wiggles, DH hopes to up our travel before the next pup comes home.

Won't be long I bet until your DW spoils the new family member too.

I think pets choose us as much as we choose them.

Once you start talking names, then game, set, match. Congrats!

Who rescued who? It is seems that question is often answered from the dog's perspective. Happy for you, and for Harley finding a new great home.

We have two rescue dogs. It does require shifting some plans with travel, but the overall happiness from the dogs is worth the efforts.

Having adopted 4 dogs it's always meant to be. They come into your life at the precise moment you need it. Every one of our dogs I just said i guess we'll get on and then wham the right dog fell into our laps.

Most recently after a few months of not needing a dog, this time we were sure we were going to be forced to buy one. We wanted a younger dog (closer to puppy) than our typical older rescues who have been 14 months, 2 years, and 5 years. We needed a hypoallergenic dog, which somehow our dogs have always been.

But this time DH said we're getting a puppy without anxiety, fears, etc. I said fine. I hopped on FB rescue groups just because and wham, someone posts about a 4 month old puppy they had for 8 weeks and didn't want anymore. They were turning him into the rescue and wanted a family perhaps beforehand. I hopped on and said yes and picked him up the next day.

he just turned a year on Tuesday may 9th. Interesting having a puppy and wild he just turned up like our others right when I said we need a dog. Guess we'll have this 55 lb goldendoodle for a long time. I really did not want to buy a dog and we still haven't.

Yes, I think that some things are just meant to be. Cool stories and be sure and show pictures of Harley.

It does require shifting some plans with travel,
That is one of the biggest issues for us. We already have several trips planned that didn't include a dog. We camp with a bunch of folks that also have dogs, and one of the issues with Harley is not getting along with other dogs. We have a 3 week road trip and have no idea on how she would handle traveling. My brother is next door and has taken care of our flock for many years, and he misses the mutts as much as we do...

Years ago, a co-w*rker asked us to care for her 5 just-weaned kittens while she was on vacation. We brought them to the house and enjoyed them for 10 days. When it was time to return them, we asked for two of them. "No problem" for co-w*rker. She was glad to get rid of them. It was meant to be. One lived almost 20 years.

Attachments

• portraits or it didnt happen.jpg
    portraits or it didnt happen.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
I fly for an organization called Pilots & Paws, which flies animals to new forever homes. We picked up a Brittany Spaniel at an airport near Palm Springs.

We were supposed to fly the dog to Santa Barbara, but it was socked in. Our home airport was 30 miles away and clear, so we landed there. I contacted the people and made arrangements to meet half way by car, and they got directions. They had lost their dog, and were wanting one of the same breed.
We got to the meeting place first, and were out walking the dog when their car pulled up. They were both wearing Brittany Spaniel t-shirts, so I knew it was them.
I asked them to send us a photo when they got settled at home, and they sent this one of a "lap dog"

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 64
I fly for an organization called Pilots & Paws, which flies animals to new forever homes. We picked up a Brittany Spaniel at an airport near Palm Springs.

We were supposed to fly the dog to Santa Barbara, but it was socked in. Our home airport was 30 miles away and clear, so we landed there. I contacted the people and made arrangements to meet half way by car, and they got directions. They had lost their dog, and were wanting one of the same breed.
We got to the meeting place first, and were out walking the dog when their car pulled up. They were both wearing Brittany Spaniel t-shirts, so I knew it was them.
I asked them to send us a photo when they got settled at home, and they sent this one of a "lap dog"

What a great retirement job!

I love a good dog/animal thread.

That is one of the biggest issues for us. We already have several trips planned that didn't include a dog. We camp with a bunch of folks that also have dogs, and one of the issues with Harley is not getting along with other dogs. We have a 3 week road trip and have no idea on how she would handle traveling. My brother is next door and has taken care of our flock for many years, and he misses the mutts as much as we do...

Sounds like you’ve got the dog sitter all set up.

Old medic, I hope Harley works out for you. We adopted a 8.5 year old Maltese not quite two years ago. She was in a hoarder situation with 21 other dogs; two of them died. She needed some surgeries right away and the healing process was hard on her. It has been so great to see her personality change, she is really coming out of her shell. It took months before she ever wagged her tail. I was waiting for it to happen and cried when it did.

I have rescued many dogs and they are forever grateful. Enjoy your new baby!

When our last (6th) Golden died we planned to wait for several years so travel would be easier. Then travel stopped entirely for a year or two so we have #7. If you are dog lovers you can put it off briefly but never for long.

Back
Top Bottom