"This is the last one of these I'll need to buy!"

My car is 2008 Toyota Corolla with 62k miles and I bought it 6 years ago from a good friend. I only put 4K miles a year on it so it’s likely my last car at 67. When we bought our house 9 years ago that was supposed to be it but because of the divorce I bought a condo. This is my last home.

I learned to not saying never :)
5 years a go we built our retirement home in Florida, I told it would be the last home ever build. We moved back to the Pacific NW in 2020 and built our current home. I would not dare to say never now.

The 2 motorcycles I own will probably be the last. This house is looking good too. The boat, eh it's my 5th boat, we'll see. The car probably not

I think it is wise to buy quality at all ages. Stated differently I think buying quality for someone who takes care of their stuff can be an excellent value.

I think I learned this by about 40 years of age. Now I only buy good quality stuff that I use regularly. Some examples:
* I bought several (I think 4-5) blenders in range of $25-$100 over a span of 10-12 years. The last one we bought was a Blendtec which cost $329+tax and it was big sticker shock at the time. But 11 years later, that blander is still running like a day we bought it. Got a couple of jar replacements under warranty along the way.
* Several coffee/expresso makers later, I bit the bullet and bought a semi-automatic expresso maker from Breville. Still going strong after 8 years.
* Same thing with Breville juice maker.
* On and on....

I try to buy a 90 percentile product i.e. the price is at about 90 percentile for the comparable products from different brands. The top-of-the-line products tend to cost a lot more due to brand/exclusivity rather than the quality/reliability. YMMV.

Last edited:
You made me think about it. I need to buy a new suit for DS's wedding in November. Only wear a suit to weddings and funerals, so this could be the suit I get cremated in.

I'd rather be loaded nekkid into the cardboard box aka "cremation container" & have the suit donated.

Ronstar, what color is that new Bronco going to be? I personally like cactus grey and I see that is an option color for the new bronco's.

Last edited:
That was the justification we used when we bought our 55" TV about 18 years ago. They were expensive then! It's still functioning great, is the perfect size for us, and has plenty of inputs - 5 - for even new-fangled things like the Roku and for DH to hook up his computer to stream library movies.

We hope we're in our forever home but we'll have to see on that.

We've been in our home for 31 years, I think we plan to age in it, but I wonder if I outlive DH, if I may want a smaller condo or rent an apartment ? We replaced the roof and most appliances, but chances are they may need replacing again.
I tell DH the last two cars we bought in 2015/2016 will likely be the last ones we own, both Toyotas, but he doesn't like the thought of that!
I'm hoping we will both be here another 20+ years, but you never know.....
I dunno, the old saying "never say never" is pretty smart.

My BIL is on his 3rd or 4th "last" truck.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I resemble that remark... I told the DW ~2 years ago that my last ultra high performance vehicle would be the last one that I'd buy in this life... Fast forward to now.... I'm days away from trading it in on another.

I learned to not saying never :)
5 years a go we built our retirement home in Florida, I told it would be the last home ever build. We moved back to the Pacific NW in 2020 and built our current home. I would not dare to say never now.

Welcome back :)

We are shopping for land (@street ) :cool:
to build our "last" house on. I put quotes around it does that work?

I knew in 1983, when I first moved back here as an adult, that Connecticut was the place for me. (We had lived here in the early 60s when I was a young boy). I moved to my current town in 1989 and into my current house in 1992. I don't expect to ever leave. If New England didn't exist, however, I would move to the Puget Sound area (I was stationed in Bremerton when I was in the Navy).

Last edited:
Anyone else have an example of "This is the last one I'll ever need to buy!"

It's not likely I will buy another home, or even another car (I bought a new car earlier this year).

But although I don't care for new gadgets, it is most certain that I will have to buy new electronics like laptops and smartphones several times before I croak.
"Planned obsolescence" is the reason.

Not us. Just bought a new car a year ago and a "new" house this year. I am 58 yo and expect to buy another 7 to 8 new cars or so since we change out every 3 years or so. With golf clubs, my husband buys new clubs every 18 months or so. I know we are not frugal so we don't think in terms of let's buy a new/good one to last us the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
I saw a grey Bronco last week and it was kind of underwhelming..

At age 64, we've been thinking if we ever want to get another puppy we need to do it soon

At age 64, we've been thinking if we ever want to get another puppy we need to do it soon

I'm 69 years old, and at this point my cockatiel has about a 5 year remaining life expectancy. When my previous one died, I was not just bereft, but I couldn't handle the new silence in my den; hence the reason I have the current one. When I'm 74 or so, I'm sure I'll be getting another one....and that one will be my last.

Ronstar, what color is that new Bronco going to be? I personally like cactus grey and I see that is an option color for the new bronco's.

The Bronco most likely will be white. But since Ford has delayed/ temporarily quit building broncos due to roof problems, I bought a Jeep. And I postponed my Bronco reservation until 2023 model year. And if I trade my Jeep, I may blow some dough on the new Wrangler V8 instead of a Bronco.

The Bronco most likely will be white. But since Ford has delayed/ temporarily quit building broncos due to roof problems, I bought a Jeep. And I postponed my Bronco reservation until 2023 model year. And if I trade my Jeep, I may blow some dough on the new Wrangler V8 instead of a Bronco.

OHHH! Sorry, if that was explained in a post, I missed that if you did. I did know you bought that Jeep, but thought that Bronco was still going to happen.

Thanks Ronstar.

OHHH! Sorry, if that was explained in a post, I missed that if you did. I did know you bought that Jeep, but thought that Bronco was still going to happen.

Thanks Ronstar.

Bronco would happen if DW gets her way, but I'm not sure now.

It's worth buying a new car once every 10 years, or even more often, for the safety technology upgrades. Whether one still has the cognitive abilities to learn how those features work is a different matter. :whistle::ermm:

Agree with @cranberryjoe. One problem with buying quality stuff that lasts is that my stingy personality clashes with lust for new technology. So although the 8-year-old coffee maker may be in great shape, the modern ones have the hydraulic ramjet peanut-butter-spreader attachment. Wouldn't that be cool to have?

You don't always know what you're missing, either. The 2012 Camry with still under 100k miles might last longer than we will and still looks and runs fine. But then you rent a car, and even if it's just a new Corolla, it's got lane-minder technology, a backup camera, heated seats and an entertainment system that requires a grandchild to program, and somehow the 2012 just seems kinda lame.

Then we visited Switzerland and I'd reserved a Toyota or something. "Sorry, all we have is a Mercedes. Will that be all right?"

You don't always know what you're missing, either. The 2012 Camry with still under 100k miles might last longer than we will and still looks and runs fine. But then you rent a car, and even if it's just a new Corolla, it's got lane-minder technology, a backup camera, heated seats and an entertainment system that requires a grandchild to program, and somehow the 2012 just seems kinda lame....

I hate rental cars. I can't even figure out how to turn on the radio, which is really all I want to do. I don't need all the other geegaws.

Back
Top Bottom