This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSU's Tiger Stadium yesterday. Not sure when the last time they got something like this. Although this is nothing for most, when it ices up in the south, its a tramatic experience:

1510569_766166166744078_1864867731_n.jpg

LSU's Tiger Stadium yesterday. Not sure when the last time they got something like this. Although this is nothing for most, when it ices up in the south, its a tramatic experience:

That's for sure! Most people in South Louisiana don't know how to drive in snow or ice any more than I do (and I can't drive in it at all). :D So many/most/all of us are staying home until conditions improve, which hopefully will be today or tomorrow.

Here in New Orleans we had a lot of sleet and ice pellets which accumulated and almost looked like snow, even though it wasn't. But, from my windows I see no accumulations as thick as in the above photo of Tiger Stadium. It is too slick outside still for me to want to venture further than my welcome mat, for fear of slipping and falling (not a good idea now that I am in my mid 60's).

Last edited:
That's for sure! Most people in South Louisiana don't know how to drive in snow or ice any more than I do (and I can't drive in it at all). :D So many/most/all of us are staying home until conditions improve, which hopefully will be today or tomorrow.

Here in New Orleans we had a lot of sleet and ice pellets which accumulated and almost looked like snow, even though it wasn't. But, from my windows I see no accumulations as thick as in the above photo of Tiger Stadium. It is too slick outside still for me to want to venture further than my welcome mat, for fear of slipping and falling (not a good idea now that I am in my mid 60's).

I've lived in snow country most of my life, and I'll take snow over ice anytime. Stay home if possible and be careful when you venture out.

Reactions: W2R
I keep praying for at least a foot of snow on a weekday so I can sit in my warm home, drink hot chocolate and gloat about not having to go to work. So far, nothing but a mild winter, and some rain. :(

Finally have a few inches of snow here the last day. Everything helps. But the topic of water being a serious commodity in the future for quite a few areas of the country keeps popping into my head.

We are done with the hard freeze, sleet, freezing rain, and ice pellets. In fact, it has already warmed up to 48 this morning, and we have temperatures in the 70's predicted for the weekend.

Here are a couple of photos I took yesterday when we ventured out at 36F. As you can see, it was much worse in Baton Rouge and some other places but it sure seemed bad here at the time! :LOL: That is not snow on the ground in the photo, but accumulated sleet, ice, and frozen rain.

Attachments

• sleet1.jpg
    sleet1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
  • sleet2.jpg
    sleet2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 7
Finally have a few inches of snow here the last day. Everything helps. But the topic of water being a serious commodity in the future for quite a few areas of the country keeps popping into my head.

Yes, I can see water being a huge issue going forward in the West and Southwest. For now, it was great to listen to the rain on the rooftop last night!:dance:

THE HIGHEST POTENTIAL FOR FREEZING RAIN WILL BE ACROSS SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA SOUTH OF LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS.

Well, my suspicions were right, and the forecasters were wrong AGAIN. It is 36F outside right now and that was our low last night. Last I heard, water doesn't freeze at 36. :2funny: Meanwhile, there is a banner across the bottom of the TV listing all the closed schools and businesses. The entire area is pretty much shut down. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

We still have winter storm warnings and they are still saying it will be down to 31 by noon. I seriously doubt it but we'll see. If so, then maybe they were right after all. [edited at noon to add: it got down to 33, so I guess they were at least partially right]. [edited at 5:20 PM to add: we have accumulations of sleet and ice pellets. Very slippery looking outside. 30F and interstates into and out of New Orleans are all closed, so we are essentially the Island of New Orleans this afternoon. Mea culpa; closing things down was probably the right thing to do, here, today.] Meanwhile, no point in going anywhere because nothing is open. So, we still plan to stay home.

And don't forget that you don't need freezing air temperatures at ground level to have freezing rain. We sometimes get hail in July.

-ERD50

I keep praying for at least a foot of snow on a weekday so I can sit in my warm home, drink hot chocolate and gloat about not having to go to work. So far, nothing but a mild winter, and some rain. :(
Darn, I almost forget that some people still work. I am retired, so do not need inclement weather excuse to stay home. :hide:

Oh wait, what's inclement weather? It's 78F and sunny here. Think I am going out to fool around doing a bit of maintenance on my motorhome before it gets too warm.

Woo hoo! Our first big winter storm just blew through!

This monster dropped a total of 0.08 inches of rain on us. Oh, and that also happens to be the seasonal total. :-(

Just twist the knife.:LOL:

Lest people think I am too mean, I will add that I only have a few months to gloat until the 110-120F summer temperature gets here.

The current nice weather is what we look forward to each year as compensation for the roasting "dry heat" that we have to endure.

Yesterday's high temp reached 80 and the temp at noon today was in the upper 30's with winds gusting to 30 mph. After a lunch trip we stopped by to pick up a few groceries and noticed some guy in the parking lot wearing shorts and a T-shirt. He was doing his best not to look cold...

Nice today, 52°, but the forecast is for an inch of snow tonight and another 3 to 7 tomorrow. Coming back from the gym I had a thought of putting the snow thrower back in the shed. Scratch that - leave it in the garage.

Groundhog saw his shadow here in Chiberia. Great. The never-ending winter continues.

Sent from my HTC One V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

More snow. The heavy wet stuff that with the 18° low forecast for tonight will be hard as concrete tomorrow.

Attachments

• more_snow2-1.jpg
    more_snow2-1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
We set a record for snowfall in SE MI for January. I've been keeping our neighborhood road clear with my Kubota and have gotten $300 in unsolicited "donations". Don't tell the IRS. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom