This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
My relatives are near Providence, smack in the middle of the 24" plus black zone. They are very very worried.

Good luck and stay safe and warm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My relatives are near Providence, smack in the middle of the 24" plus black zone. They are very very worried.

Are they out in a very rural area where getting assistance might be difficult if the utilities go off? We've had 2+ feet of snow here before and we just stocked up on food and movies and didn't sweat it much. I mean, unless you absolutely have to go somewhere or have an unstable health issue, what's to worry about? I'm assuming they are retired.

Are they out in a very rural area where getting assistance might be difficult if the utilities go off? We've had 2+ feet of snow here before and we just stocked up on food and movies and didn't sweat it much. I mean, unless you absolutely have to go somewhere or have an unstable health issue, what's to worry about? I'm assuming they are retired.

+1

Family bonding time! Just went out and turned the Christmas lights back on after shoveling the sidewalks. Neighbour was nice enough to run his plow over the driveway. We've had about 9 inches of nice fluffy white stuff so far but nothing cancelled.

We need snow in the PNW. I am in a meetup group that has reserved a cabin for this weekend to go snowshoeing. It's either going to turn into a hiking trip or be cancelled...

We're about 25 miles from Providence and we're in the 24"-30" zone. A power outage is our main concern. We would lose our heat and hot water and if it's prolonged you worry about pipes freezing. In the 5 years we've lived in our townhome we had two storms related power outages that lasted about 3 days but never in the winter. So we're hoping for the best.

We're about 25 miles from Providence and we're in the 24"-30" zone. A power outage is our main concern. We would lose our heat and hot water and if it's prolonged you worry about pipes freezing. In the 5 years we've lived in our townhome we had two storms related power outages that lasted about 3 days but never in the winter. So we're hoping for the best.

Yes, same for my relatives (in their early 80s), worrying about power going our for several hours or days from the heavy wet snow and gale force winds. Hang in there!!!

I have relatives in Providence, Boston, Portland, and Camden.

I lived for many years in New England, and at times like this I am very glad I live in NC now. Can't abide the summers here, but the rest of the year makes up for it.

I hope your elderly relatives (and everyone else in the path) keep their power. My 88 year old stepmother is hunkered down in Camden, snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug. She is tough, and the neighbors look out for each other there. The folks I worry about are the ones dependent on services like Meals on Wheels, and other lifelines that will not be able to make it through for at least a day, if not several. :(

I am very proud of the NY/NJ/MA/CT/RI/ME/VT governors banding together and declaring a travel ban on unnecessary road travel.

The rescue squads are on 12 hour plus shifts... police, ambulance, transportation, National Guard, hospitals, and anyone else I forgot...dedicated folks who will come to the aid...are the only workers and vehicles allowed on the road.

Across 7 states...wow!

I was at the local American Legion tonight in an unaffected area. Several of our volunteer firemen and local town road plows have already been sent downstate to be of assistance. All across NYS...state employees, private sector heavy equipment contractors, NYS DOT Thruway road crews, electrical power grid workers, EMTs, medical staff from area hospitals, you name it...are poised in Albany NY for immediate dispatch to relieve those in the worst areas.

State lines make no difference in a storm like this. They go where they are needed.

I am sure every other state I listed is doing the same. Juno is deciding where he will land.

Stay safe. Stay home if you live in the Northeast. Check on your neighbors next door if you can.

Now is the time to be of assistance.

Last edited:
this is the NY National Guard response...google for your state

Guard Soldiers, Airmen Respond to Northeast Storm - Official Wire

260 personnel seems like a small number...that is the first mobilization. More to come. Never laugh at a "weekend warrior".

The equipment owned by any state National Guard is phenomenal.

All of our NE states share resources in the face of historic storms. It has to be done that way. We are all small size states, reachable within 5 hours border to border.

Last edited:
Some before and after pics. I tied the yardstick to a log and set it outside the window yesterday. The top of the log was at 17", now all you can see is the yardstick sticking up. There is 21" on the ground right now in southeastern CT. Snow seems to have tapered off, time to get out the shovel.

Attachments

• 10492211_10202208305367885_1800379528268791836_n.jpg
    10492211_10202208305367885_1800379528268791836_n.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 10950655_10202208305527889_7742447172412450760_n.jpg
    10950655_10202208305527889_7742447172412450760_n.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 12
Just came in from about 2-1/2 hours of shoveling here in southwest CT. Not as bad as advertised, but still a pain to deal with.

All you folks in New England stay warm and safe. I'll be rooting for you down here in Az for the Super Bowl!

For the NY'ers....your mayor should be ashamed! Seriously, shutting down the subways over 6 inches? Thought the city was tougher than that.

All you folks in New England stay warm and safe. I'll be rooting for you down here in Az for the Super Bowl!

For the NY'ers....your mayor should be ashamed! Seriously, shutting down the subways over 6 inches? Thought the city was tougher than that.

They are tough and the powers that be were very smart to shut down all transportation systems in the face of a storm like this.
Imagine for every person or group stuck in the subway or on the highway, a rescue crew is busy getting them out instead of responding to real emergencies (accident, fire, medical).

Check the snowfall amounts for Long Island. Not that far away from the heart of the Big Apple.

The CBC weather lady said last night that the latest American weather models accurately predicted the location of the storm but that decisions were being made based on a European model that forecast the storm's location to be 75 km west of where it actually was. That relatively short distance made the difference for NYC. Obviously the weather forecasters and governments need to rethink their modeling.

The technology still has difficulty with the amount of snowfall especially in a given location. If there is a 50/50 chance that New York gets hit with 30 inches of snow and 75 mile/hour winds, then the city leaders need to take that into account. If there is only 10% chance, then maybe they can roll the dice.

All I know is that so far, the 7 state travel ban prevented deaths from idiots insisting on being out on the highways, getting stuck, and nobody could rescue them, trapped in their cars for 12 plus hours with no heat and possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Weather prediction is a funny thing, especially in the face of blizzard conditions. In the Northeast, that means 65 plus mph winds plus any amount of snow. The roads and airports and subways and trains get closed for a very good reason.

Hooray to the governors and mayors who closed ALL transportation ahead of Juno, so no unnecessary deaths (accident and/or hypothermia) happened.

During the big Buffalo storm a month or so ago, hundreds of cars were stranded on the NYS Thruway. Most survived the 24 hour ordeal, but not all.

I live in Lake Ontario lake effect snow country, which is not to be sneezed at. I've never seen a storm in central NY that even approached the fury of Juno. Many places to the east of my home got thrashed in a very short time, some got thrashed for 48 hours.

Coastal areas along the Atlantic Ocean in NY and CT and RI and MA are simply destroyed. Ouch !

CLOSING THE ROADS save lives.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for being on the edge of a rant...BUT...

I want to see the statistics about how many, IF ANY, stranded motorists died as a result of hypothermia, or how many people got trapped in the subterranean areas (no heat by the way), and on the positive side, how many babies were safely delivered, how many elderly persons did not freeze to death, etc etc.

Armchair quarterbacking after the fact is not allowed here.
If you don't live in snow country, well then...where is my favorite image of a zipper ?

Western folks in the mountains know about all this. Easterners know all about this. Flyover country folks know all about this.

And by all means, ask the residents of Scituate MA and Marshfield MA, both oceanfront (not resorts but old fashioned New England fishing towns), how far off the NWS forecasters were. Ocean fishing boats, most privately owned, were all in port versus out to sea when all hell broke loose.

Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Perfect Storm" ? This last event was damn close to that, meteorologically.

End of rant. :cool:

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for being on the edge of a rant...BUT...

I want to see the statistics about how many, IF ANY, stranded motorists died as a result of hypothermia, or how many people got trapped in the subterranean areas (no heat by the way), and on the positive side, how many babies were safely delivered, how many elderly persons did not freeze to death, etc etc.

Armchair quarterbacking after the fact is not allowed here.
If you don't live in snow country, well then...where is my favorite image of a zipper ?

Western folks in the mountains know about all this. Easterners know all about this. Flyover country folks know all about this.

And by all means, ask the residents of Scituate MA and Marshfield MA, both oceanfront (not resorts but old fashioned New England fishing towns), how far off the NWS forecasters were. Ocean fishing boats, most privately owned, were all in port versus out to sea when all hell broke loose.

Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Perfect Storm" ? This last event was damn close to that, meteorologically.

End of rant. :cool:

You forgot "GET OFF MY LAWN!"... :LOL:

We (DFW-area) are ill-equipped for snow/ice, and I'm happy to STFH when it does.

Did you get to see George Clooney?

You forgot "GET OFF MY LAWN!"... :LOL:

We (DFW-area) are ill-equipped for snow/ice, and I'm happy to STFH when it does.

Did you get to see George Clooney?
Ok, get off my lawn...so you don't freeze your feet. :LOL:
It's covered with snow right now.

No George Clooney sightings. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom