This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the SW, it has been running 10 degrees above normal. We are having a reprieve right now, but all our cool-season green-leaf vegetable has gone to seed.

I got worried about a coming hot summer, but somewhere saw a long-term forecast saying the northern states like Montana will be warmer than normal, while the southern tip of Texas will be below normal this summer. Will see if it works out as they claim. We will be up in Glacier NP soon, then swing by Colorado on the way home, so can use some thawing, but it could be muddy too. So much for hiking, I guess.

It's ugly up here in the mountains. Too windy and snowy to go out to find out how much has accumulated. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to plow. I developed a nasty cold yesterday evening and don't want to go out anyway. Time for some hot tea...

Depends on what you're doing, I guess. I was in Crusty Butt last week and had some really magnificent skiing on fresh powder. The wind chill was murder but worth it. Sorry about the cold; I know you're a skier too.

Phew. 18" of snow at our house near Denver today. Last night, the forecast said 2-6". The highway to the mountains finally reopened. We are headed up to our mountain condo tonight for the rest of "spring" break.

Depends on what you're doing, I guess. I was in Crusty Butt last week and had some really magnificent skiing on fresh powder. The wind chill was murder but worth it. Sorry about the cold; I know you're a skier too.

I've skied in white-out conditions. I'm getting too old for that stuff and that is what it would have been today.

Had a brief visit last night... ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1458830811.075825.jpg

Had a brief visit last night...View attachment 23498

Wow! That's a lot of hail. We're just now getting a line of thunderstorms, maybe the same storms. I'm so glad I have a garage now, to protect my car in case it hails here too.

Last night it was 78 in the house so when I noticed that I turned on the AC again. Overall we have been pretty lucky with our March weather here this year.

45 and raining in northern Illinois. Looks like an all day rain. But it's better than snow.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

45 and raining in northern Illinois. Looks like an all day rain. But it's better than snow.

Yeah, I think the Colorado people posting above won the award for awful weather this week, for sure. I can't even imagine 18" of snow to deal with. I'd freak. Some southerners like me are pretty confused about what one is supposed to do with even 1/2" of snow.

This storm caught the northern half of Colorado. We had about 12 inches up in the mountains where I live. I have been out plowing for the last couple of hours. Just stopped for breakfast. I'll probably plow for most of the day.

Yeah, I think the Colorado people posting above won the award for awful weather this week, for sure. I can't even imagine 18" of snow to deal with. I'd freak. Some southerners like me are pretty confused about what one is supposed to do with even 1/2" of snow.

I know what you mean. An 18" snow is sometimes merely a minor inconvenience to a northerner, but would be Armageddon for a southerner. Hopefully everyone going through this in Colorado stay safe. It's spring- it should melt soon.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

This storm caught the northern half of Colorado. We had about 12 inches up in the mountains where I live. I have been out plowing for the last couple of hours. Just stopped for breakfast. I'll probably plow for most of the day.

Ahhh, was wondering how you made out when I heard the weather news this morning about Colorado getting hit. Glad to hear you're out plowing and not too snowed in.

Ahhh, was wondering how you made out when I heard the weather news this morning about Colorado getting hit. Glad to hear you're out plowing and not too snowed in.

I had a hard time getting up the hill to the house in the Jeep this morning, but I made it. I finished plowing a little after 3:00. I have a bunch of shoveling to do, but it will wait until tomorrow. I better hurry though, we have a winter storm watch for Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. A predicted 12 inches.

Snow here in St. Paul last night and this morning. It was close to 70 two weeks ago so this is a bit of a shock. But the sun is very strong now and it is melting quickly.

North Central Il here... had about 1 1/2 inches of snow about 3 hours ago... all gone now. Nice break last week. Chomping at the bit to get back to the lake, but looks like next Wednesday before we get back into the 60's. Accounts for too much time here on ER. :blush:

It was my day off work anyway, so I didn't plan to leave the house. DH was about to leave for work at 11:30am and the blizzard suddenly got worse so he called off - he was glad he did because the road closed to his work at about noon so he would not have made it anyway. DS20 was lucky and got a call not to bother coming in pretty early in the day - his restaurant wasn't even gonna try to open for dinner service.

This afternoon the streets weren't bad, so I went to 2 stores but neither place was really busy yet today. Unfortunately, I work all weekend and it looks like more snow on Saturday coming in. At least the skiing should be good on Monday/Tuesday when I go back up the hill ....

Got some rain last night. Lots of folks in the area lost power and the mall down the road flooded, as did the highways. Our house is about 3 1/2 inches higher than the ground level, and the water level rose 3 1/4 after 90 minutes of rain. Whew ..

Got some rain last night. Lots of folks in the area lost power and the mall down the road flooded, as did the highways. Our house is about 3 1/2 inches higher than the ground level, and the water level rose 3 1/4 after 90 minutes of rain. Whew ..

Whew, close call!! Hope it all drains off quickly now.

We are doing wonderfully in that regard, with several days of sunny weather between rainy days lately. It rained yesterday, and today is sunny and bright. Rain is predicted to return on Sunday. My newly sodded lawn is loving this weather.

I just went out and shoveled the snow in front of the door. I'm pooped. Shoveling when you have a cold is no fun.

To me, snow shoveling and lawn mowing are sort of in the same category. They are both chores that are just too strenuous for people after a certain age (it was age 57 for me). If I lived in Colorado, I would hire someone to shovel snow just like I hire someone to mow in the New Orleans heat right now.

My justification/rationalization is that there are other ways to get exercise that are less likely to result in a heart attack, and there are other ways to save money.

I'm not sure how you could get someone to shovel your snow, though, if you are in an isolated area. To me that would be a factor in deciding where to move. YMMV and probably does! You may be quite a bit younger than me, too.

To me, snow shoveling and lawn mowing are sort of in the same category. They are both chores that are just too strenuous for people after a certain age (it was age 57 for me). If I lived in Colorado, I would hire someone to shovel snow just like I hire someone to mow in the New Orleans heat right now.

My justification/rationalization is that there are other ways to get exercise that are less likely to result in a heart attack, and there are other ways to save money.

I'm not sure how you could get someone to shovel your snow, though, if you are in an isolated area. To me that would be a factor in deciding where to move. YMMV and probably does! You may be quite a bit younger than me, too.
When I get moved into my house, I will have concrete driveways and small decks/patios that won't need much shoveling. I will have a snow blower or small plow on an ATV for the driveways and patio. I am planning on gathering some prairie grass seed this fall to sprinkle around the house. I may need to mow once or twice a year. The big problem will be keeping the aspen trees at bay. They sprout up like weeds.

I think we are pretty close in age. I turned 66 last month. I would be right there with you on hiring someone to mow in heat and humidity.

I'm afraid to discuss our local weather here.... Lets just say I'm wearing shorts and have all the windows open.... Dug out the boys spring wetsuits for planned beach/surfing this week.

Whew, close call!! Hope it all drains off quickly now.
Yes, and just in time. Although I have no idea what I'd do if the water rose above the floor level of the house. It would certainly answer our question of just how watertight the doors are. :)

+1

I'm afraid to discuss our local weather here.... Lets just say I'm wearing shorts and have all the windows open.... Dug out the boys spring wetsuits for planned beach/surfing this week.
:) I get lots of pleasure giving local South Florida weather updates to my Chicago based family members, especially when it gets below zero there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom