This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
First we got a ton of snow and now a ton of rain. Huston parts of town are flooding (luckily not our house), and everything is a mess and shutting down. They are telling everyone to stay home. I was supposed fly out Tues to visit 2 of my sons in another state but the airport may be closed as they are expecting up to 2 feet of water there. I should know tomorrow how things will go. One extreme to the next.

Luckily we got back from our two weeks in Ft Meyers Fl in time for a few days at the farm north of KC. A wonderful -17 low with some snow and 30 mph winds.

Early in ER I had to endure that 'hot and humid New Orleans' weather.

heh heh heh - where are you at - is where you are. :dance: :dance::D :LOL::cool:. If we get bored we visit my Sis/BIL in the rain forest out in Washington State.

What a cool pic!

I'm assuming it's real.

It probably is real, I've seen that effect before but didn't have a camera. The sign gets iced up, then when it starts to thaw the ice will stay in one piece if it is thick enough and slide down the sign. If the timing is right and the temperature is descending it may stay that way overnight.

We live the lake effect regularly. Good part is that the warm lake keeps out temperatures more moderate than inland. We are having a mild winter, but according to the Golden Snow Globe ranking, we're at #4, Syracuse is #1

Current Top 25 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

But it takes at least a 10 inch snowfall before anything around here gets significantly affected.

Syracuse does a great job dealing with the snow. Doesn't seem like we've had over 60 inches of snow this season.

Tonight it's freezing rain. I can drive in anything except ice. But I'm retired, I don't have to go anywhere.

My friend in Central Oregon, just east of the Cascades, was scheduled to visit New Mexico this week but had to cancel her trip due to all the snow. This winter has been crazy as they had 21" in December and probably the same since the first of January. Everyday it is the same routine to shovel snow and she has horses to feed. And lots of traffic accidents in the area. The forecast for tonight is 5-9" but then it is supposed to warm up.

I started this thread in 2008: "Bone chilling cold, snow, ice... Eugene, Oregon north. It can't go east fast enough."

Here we are again. 12+ inches of snow in downtown Portland, more in higher elevations, our second snowmageddon this winter. 23 degrees tonight, 16 tomorrow night. The storm in the Willamette Valley starts, basically, north of Salem.

Bend: 21 degrees at mid-day, going down to the teens at night, over 24 inches of snow in last 24 hours.

78 F here today. Going to run the mower in the back yard to trim up the grass and grind up leaves. If I have time, I'll wash the car in the driveway.

I started this thread in 2008: "Bone chilling cold, snow, ice... Eugene, Oregon north. It can't go east fast enough."

Here we are again. 12+ inches of snow in downtown Portland, more in higher elevations, our second snowmageddon this winter. 23 degrees tonight, 16 tomorrow night. The storm in the Willamette Valley starts, basically, north of Salem.

Bend: 21 degrees at mid-day, going down to the teens at night, over 24 inches of snow in last 24 hours.

In the airport now- we stayed across from the Sunnyside Kaiser hospital last night and watched 8" of snow build up on the rental car roof. Felt pretty lucky to see that much nice snow in Oregon and be in the area. The 11 miles to return the rental car was interesting without chains, but not as exciting as the 70 miles south we did at 3 pm on Saturday. Lots of cars off the road and at least a dozen upside down or on their sides. Looked like a war zone.
Now, if the flight to Palm Springs doesn't get cancelled we'll feel lucky to be back in the sunshine!

The January thaw is supposedly coming next week.
Detailed Forecast

Tonight
Patchy blowing snow between 1am and 4am. Increasing clouds, with a temperature falling to near -14 by 9pm, then rising to around 0 during the remainder of the night. Wind chill values as low as -36. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Thursday
Patchy blowing snow between 7am and 4pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a temperature falling to around -15 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -39. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 23 to 28 mph becoming west northwest 14 to 19 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around -25. Wind chill values as low as -43. West northwest wind 7 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight.

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -45. South wind 8 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around -3. South southwest wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 13. South southwest wind 6 to 9 mph.

Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 2. South southwest wind around 9 mph.

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 19. South southwest wind 9 to 11 mph.

Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 9. Southwest wind around 10 mph.

M.L.King Day
Sunny, with a high near 24. Southwest wind 7 to 10 mph.

Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 10. South southwest wind around 8 mph.

Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 27. South southwest wind around 9 mph.

Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 13. South southwest wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. South southwest wind around 11 mph.

Sorry, Nodak, I don't see any temperature in that list that exceed 32! Not my idea of a January thaw. :rolleyes: You are still in the deep freeze, brrrrrr. I'll bet 29F and minus 25F feel about the same. But no, I'm not volunteering to compare the two. :LOL:

I can't wait :dance:
What amazes me, is how our bodies adapt.
For instance. The first time that the temperature drops down to say 25° overnight in October, it feels brutally cold.

Yet after a brutal cold snap like we've had in January, if it gets up to 25° with little or no wind, it feels downright tropical :)

Last edited:
Yup, we are getting our rain & snow this year for sure. Any rain in CA is good rain, we'll fix the levies and the damage later.

Not so much where I live, but other cities nearby got wasted.

Gonna be sunny for a few days before the next wave comes in.

Sorry, Nodak, I don't see any temperature in that list that exceed 32! Not my idea of a January thaw. :rolleyes: You are still in the deep freeze, brrrrrr. I'll bet 29F and minus 25F feel about the same. But no, I'm not volunteering to compare the two. :LOL:
Thursday next week is supposed to be mid 30s.

Attachments

• 15826060_1374735065918955_8521506748909575108_n.jpg
    15826060_1374735065918955_8521506748909575108_n.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 15966279_721587094677108_3909941258129000041_n.jpg
    15966279_721587094677108_3909941258129000041_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

I can't wait :dance:
What amazes me, is how our bodies adapt.
For instance. The first time that the temperature drops down to say 25° overnight in October, it feels brutally cold.

Yet after a brutal cold snap like we've had in January, if it gets up to 25° with little or no wind, it feels downright tropical :)
It's really quite amazing. If it hits 35 on Thursday people will be driving around with the windows open. I will open a window on my house to get fresh air. Would also like to take my car to the car wash. The first 45 degree day will see people leave their jackets at home.

Last edited:
Winds have been gusting into the 60's today (km/h)

Per Environment Canada
A period of very cold wind chills is expected. The coldest wind chill values will be between minus 40 and minus 45.

Temperatures will drop sharply behind a cold front that is sweeping across north and central Alberta today generating extreme cold conditions for tonight into Thursday morning.

Somewhat warmer temperatures are forecast by Thursday afternoon.

Remember to protect pets by limiting their exposure to the cold outdoor temperatures.

###

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.

That -45 wind chill is Celsius -- that's -49 Fahrenheit.

Pupper is going to have to go without a walk tonight!

Low 40s and sunny. Finally feeling a bit better and took the dog for a couple mile hike to the library and back.

68F high today. Tomorrow's high guessed to be around 30F. WHeeee. roller coaster.

Just had to adjust my budget to add snow removal service after the walls of snow along our driveway topped 8'. We've had 5' of snow in the past 3 days. I thought after FIRE we'd have enough time to do it ourselves, but this is beyond what you can handle with a snow blower and shovels. I know California needs the water, but if it could land a little more gradually that would be nice.

Conditions at 9:50pm

Lat: 48.78°NLon: 97.63°WElev: 889ft.

Temp -20°F
-29°C
Humidity 68%
Wind Speed W 9 mph
Barometer 30.58 in
Dewpoint -27°F (-33°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill-40°F (-40°C)

Last edited:
Neither a Tailgater or Season ticket holder am I - ice storm predicted for this weekends playoff game.Open air stadium.

heh heh heh - go Chiefs :D :cool: :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom