This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I woke up to this morning, 29 below:

Attachments

• 2017_01_13_06 34 39.jpg
    2017_01_13_06 34 39.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 21
There were several damaging tornados in the New Orleans area yesterday, and some forum members have been asking if I am OK. So, I just wanted to let everyone know that Frank and I are fine and so are our homes.

It was pretty scary for a couple of hours but my suburb was pretty much undamaged as far as I can tell. My suburb did not get the 2 inch diameter hail and 70 mph winds that were predicted for us even just a few minutes before the storm passed us by.

Sadly, some other parts of town (like some parts of New Orleans East, for example) look badly damaged in the photos. I haven't seen any damage first hand because the last thing they probably need is a bunch of lookie-loos right now. So, I have stayed near home. Consequently I don't know anything more about it than other members do.

Last edited:
DFW is approaching the record (7 v. 10) for the number of 80+ degree days in winter.

2 degrees above when I left for work. Be happy your retired folks.

There were several damaging tornados in the New Orleans area yesterday, and some forum members have been asking if I am OK. So, I just wanted to let everyone know that Frank and I are fine and so are our homes.

It was pretty scary for a couple of hours but my suburb was pretty much undamaged as far as I can tell. My suburb did not get the 2 inch diameter hail and 70 mph winds that were predicted for us even just a few minutes before the storm passed us by.

Sadly, some other parts of town (like some parts of New Orleans East, for example) look badly damaged in the photos. I haven't seen any damage first hand because the last thing they probably need is a bunch of lookie-loos right now. So, I have stayed near home. Consequently I don't know anything more about it than other members do.

I was just wondering that exact thing and was going to send you a message. Glad you survived unscathed. That storm seemed a bit unusual for NOLA, and I was surprised as it was gorgeous in north Texas.

I was just wondering that exact thing and was going to send you a message. Glad you survived unscathed. That storm seemed a bit unusual for NOLA, and I was surprised as it was gorgeous in north Texas.

Thanks. It seemed to appear out of the blue. The first I heard about it was a phone alert, saying that we had a tornado warning for the next 15 minutes or so and that this was a life endangering tornado headed my way. :eek: It hadn't even begun to rain by then. Then they kept dragging out the timeframe. Still, we didn't have much lead time. I am glad they were scary with that first warning; it just didn't look that bad outside and I probably would have gone out driving around in my Venza had I not seen such an emphatic warning.

Usually tornados down here are not huge monsters like they get up in Oklahoma and places like that. I guess this one was pretty big for our area.

Last edited:
Sixty degrees today, tonight/tomorrow the forecast is for one to four inches of snow. Then by Saturday back up to 54° and 59° by Sunday.

I'm not complaining, for February this is terrific! Getting temperatures above 45 or so is rare around here this time of year.

It was -10 in Fargo this morning. Not too bad for February. I laughed at the earlier comment that 29F feels about the same as -25F. Ha ha.

54 degrees difference. Like 30 feels "just about" like 84 and 50 feels "just about" like 104.

-30 and -20 might be harder to decipher. Everyone should experience -25 at least once. :)

"This weather is awful", says the thread title.

It is not, here in my high-country hideout place. Even at 7,000-ft elevation, it is usually not that cold, and in the dry Southwest a clear sky can be counted on most of the time. I woke up this morning with the outside in the 30Fs, and it has warmed up to the 60Fs. Inside the home, sunshine through all the glass windows has warmed it up to toasty 76F. The interior was in the low 60s when I woke up this morning.

With all that sunshine, in the past I have run around outside in t-shirt during the day, even when the high was below freezing. It is very easy to get sunburned, because the thin air means intense sunlight. When the sun goes down, it feels cold fast.

It was in the 50's again. Snows melting, there's less every day. Sad, hopefully we get some more.

It was in the 50's again. Snows melting, there's less every day. Sad, hopefully we get some more.

We haven't had any snow to speak of for over a month. The roads are dry and it is almost all gone in the fields. I think it got up in the 50s today. Mid 50s tomorrow. Snow predicted for Saturday night. If we don't get some soon, it will be a very dry summer.

A couple of days in the mid 80's. A little too warm for early Feb and I'm not ready for it. Don't know if it's old age or what, but it seems like my window of comfortable temps is shrinking.

A couple of days in the mid 80's. A little too warm for early Feb and I'm not ready for it. Don't know if it's old age or what, but it seems like my window of comfortable temps is shrinking.
I have noticed that I am getting fussy about temperature inside my house, now that I have the new HVAC system installed. I think I have become a hot house flower. :)

We had several tornados in the suburbs and surrounding small communities on Tuesday, as well as one that hit New Orleans. The tornado that hit New Orleans turned out to be an EF3, the strongest tornado we have ever had in the city since they first began keeping records. 300 homes suffered major damage, and 33 people were injured but amazingly nobody was killed.

Everything in my suburb is fine. Today was a sunny day with blue skies, and cool weather in the mid 60's.

I have noticed that I am getting fussy about temperature inside my house, now that I have the new HVAC system installed. I think I have become a hot house flower. :)

We had several tornados in the suburbs and surrounding small communities on Tuesday, as well as one that hit New Orleans. The tornado that hit New Orleans turned out to be an EF3, the strongest tornado we have ever had in the city since they first began keeping records. 300 homes suffered major damage, and 33 people were injured but amazingly nobody was killed.

Everything in my suburb is fine. Today was a sunny day with blue skies, and cool weather in the mid 60's.

I think I'm good between 50 and 75 degrees. I need to find a place that stays in that range, but isn't crowded or expensive.

Saw that New Orleans was hit by 7 tornados Tuesday. Extremely amazing that nobody was killed. I assume that most houses do not have basements to retreat to. Where do you go for shelter?

We haven't had any snow to speak of for over a month. The roads are dry and it is almost all gone in the fields. I think it got up in the 50s today. Mid 50s tomorrow. Snow predicted for Saturday night. If we don't get some soon, it will be a very dry summer.

I didn't realize how important the snow was or how transient it is, at least this year. Over toward a neighbor there's a 4' split rail fence. Three weeks ago there was a foot of snow over the top. Tonight the ground is almost barren. Around the house different features have been covered since Thanksgiving are popping up.

I really hope there's more snow.

I think I'm good between 50 and 75 degrees. I need to find a place that stays in that range, but isn't crowded or expensive.

Saw that New Orleans was hit by 7 tornados Tuesday. Extremely amazing that nobody was killed. I assume that most houses do not have basements to retreat to. Where do you go for shelter?

You're right; basements are rare to non-existent in New Orleans because of the high water table. I have only seen one basement here, and it was in the Tulane library. On TV they tell us to go to an interior room without windows, like a bathroom. Both my bathrooms are on the outer wall and have windows. (sigh) I probably should have stuffed myself into a small interior closet, but didn't. If I had heard that freight train sound I would have catapulted into that closet for sure but by then, it might have been too late.

I think that most of those 7 tornados were in the suburbs and surrounding small towns, like Madisonville which is a suburb on the northern shores of Lake Ponchartrain. Some of those were EF3's too. The EF3 in New Orleans East seems to be getting most of the local news coverage.

What amazed me was how suddenly a normal overcast day turned into a tornado disaster event. It all unfolded in just a few minutes.

Last edited:
The freight train sound is sure sign to seek shelter. A friend of mine tried to ride out a tornado in his basement less house with his dog while his wife and kids went to the neighbors basement. He heard the train sound, the window blinds went horizontal, and he got into a closet under a stairwell just before the tornado leveled the house. The firemen dug him out - no broken bones, just a bunch of cuts and bruises. He probably would have been killed if he didn't make it to the closet.

The freight train sound is sure sign to seek shelter. A friend of mine tried to ride out a tornado in his basement less house with his dog while his wife and kids went to the neighbors basement. He heard the train sound, the window blinds went horizontal, and he got into a closet under a stairwell just before the tornado leveled the house. The firemen dug him out - no broken bones, just a bunch of cuts and bruises. He probably would have been killed if he didn't make it to the closet.

A former co-w*rker's house was on the news in KC. The weather copter took the video after the tornado took the home. A few people at work recognized the location and some of the home. The happy couple were in the basement unharmed.

Don't know if it's old age or what, but it seems like my window of comfortable temps is shrinking.

I've noticed the same thing. While I never liked cold weather, now I really hate it. And thirty years ago I didn't mind 100°+ temperatures, I even liked it if the humidity wasn't too high. Now I wilt and have to retreat to the A/C if it's over 90.

I've noticed the same thing. While I never liked cold weather, now I really hate it. And thirty years ago I didn't mind 100°+ temperatures, I even liked it if the humidity wasn't too high. Now I wilt and have to retreat to the A/C if it's over 90.

I agree. That day I went skiing at Monarch a little over a week ago and the temp didn't get above about 5 degrees was hard on this old man's toes. I had to take a break and let my toes warm up a bit. :D

Snow was gone from the lot of my high-country home, but there was still some on the roadside.

On the drive back to the city home at low elevation, had to turn on the AC. It was 80F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom