This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
It's supposed to hit 108 in Austin today!!!!
OMG, that is just insanely hot for Austin! I just checked and they are expecting 106F in College Station (where I lived for a while years ago). That's extremely hot because I think they measure the official temperature there inside a freezer in the shade or something.

Stay cool, Austin-ites! (Aggies can take it.... :D)

OMG, that is just insanely hot for Austin! I just checked and they are expecting 106F in College Station (where I lived for a while years ago). That's extremely hot because I think they measure the official temperature there inside a freezer in the shade or something.

Stay cool, Austin-ites! (Aggies can take it.... :D)

I just checked the updated forecast for Austin and now they are saying 109!

At least it is forecast to cool down to 100 in Austin tomorrow. We get one more scorcher hot day forecast before it cools down to our more "normal" 101-102 July temps.

Last edited:

Did they put them out with a large application of mild salsa?

It started when a tortilla chip factory was testing a new way to handle its chip waste. The company crushed the chips into a fine, powder-like substance and put the powder into boxes that had soaked up oil, Austin Fire Department division chief Palm Buck told CNN.When the weather heated up, the chip dust heated up too -- and burst into flames.

Ok, got it. Don't chew my chips to well, and make sure I take a good swallow of beer to wet them down as I chew them. I can do that! :D

I think I am the only person alive who actually *likes* the weather in New Orleans. At least, most of the time I like it. :D

I'd have to agree with you on that! I've worked south of I-10 on oil and gas properties in the heat of the summer when the humidity was crazy high.

My feeling is Louisiana is really two distinct states separated by I-10. (but that's another topic)

106 here yesterday and it's projected to be 107 today before a cold front :LOL: hits us tomorrow and drops it to a high of 100. We keep our AC at 72 and somehow it's keeping up although it only cycles off a few times during the day. The dog won't even stay outside after about 10am.

The grass has all turned brown and it's getting crunchy now. The ponds on our property are down to levels I've only seen a couple of times in the past 10 years and a burn ban was put in place over the weekend which I thought was way overdue.

Last edited:
Sunny, breezy and 80 outside of Chicago. 77-84 degree highs with sun and no rain for the next 4 days. Very nice. Rare because it’s been raining frequently this summer.

Sunny, breezy and 80 outside of Chicago. 77-84 degree highs with sun and no rain for the next 4 days. Very nice. Rare because it’s been raining frequently this summer.

Yep, quite pleasant up here in the frozen tundra.

My feeling is Louisiana is really two distinct states separated by I-10. (but that's another topic)

I never thought about that but I think there's some truth in your statement. Certainty seems to be true when it comes to the accents. The further north of I-10 you go in Louisiana, the fewer folks you'll find have that deep Cajun accent. There are still pockets of folks in southern Louisiana that predominantly speak Cajun French. Of course in Texas, there's a lot more Spanish spoken south of I-10 than north. Although Spanish is quickly becoming a common language all over Texas at this time. It's probably in third place among languages spoken in Texas. English first, Texan second :) and Spanish third.

Last edited:
116 this week in Scottsdale. Time to pack up and head for mountains of Utah!!:greetings10:

But it is dry heat (as they say here)....

I remember when I was working I had to fly out out Phoenix... left here and it was about 100 degrees with high humidity... got to Phoenix and went outside and thought it was 'cool' compared to Houston... found out that it was 112!!!

Yes, in direct sunlight it felt hot, but in the shade it was not that bad... and at the bar there was a mister (water) that made it nice... here a mister will just make you wet...

Made it to 109 here today. Made me think of this clip from Vegas Vacation. Really doesn't feel that hot "when in the shade" with only ~24% humidity.

Last edited:

I remember when I was working I had to fly out out Phoenix... left here and it was about 100 degrees with high humidity... got to Phoenix and went outside and thought it was 'cool' compared to Houston... found out that it was 112!!!

Yes, in direct sunlight it felt hot, but in the shade it was not that bad... and at the bar there was a mister (water) that made it nice... here a mister will just make you wet...

I worked a summer in Texas once at about 105, and it felt hotter than Phoenix at 120. You're right - stay in the shade in Az and you'll be ok.

As for flying out of Phoenix. Flights were delayed at 120 degrees a few years ago. They were worried that the planes couldn't get enough lift on takeoff in the heat.

It actually hit 110 in Austin today. Still 91 at 10:30pm. Ugh.

So the weather man measured the top of his steering wheel at noon when he went out at noon... it was 157+...

Yes, you learn to not touch the top of the steering wheel and also check the seat belt components if they were directly hit by the sun... you could be branded.... :LOL:

Hey, the weather guy said we're only getting to 98 degrees here in the metroplex. Brr, I gotta get my jacket.

We're hitting a nice and even 111 today. Palm Springs is heading towards a high of 121. At least it's a dry heat as someone said earlier here.

As for flying out of Phoenix. Flights were delayed at 120 degrees a few years ago. They were worried that the planes couldn't get enough lift on takeoff in the heat.

That can be a real problem, more than one airplane has crashed trying to take off in a high density altitude environment. Hot air is less dense than cold air so there is less mass under the wings and at least with piston engines they don't develop as much power. And the propellers, being a rotary wing, don't develop as much thrust.

I'm not sure how all that affects turbines.

That can be a real problem, more than one airplane has crashed trying to take off in a high density altitude environment. Hot air is less dense than cold air so there is less mass under the wings and at least with piston engines they don't develop as much power. And the propellers, being a rotary wing, don't develop as much thrust.

I lived in Phoenix in 1990 when there were flight delays at 118+. IIRC, story then was they did not have an airspeed/weight/runway length chart for temps that high. Maybe just didn’t have a long enough runway

Brings back memories of meeting my far flung family in Vegas in the Summertime. We've sat on the tarmac more then once while the pilot says they are factoring in weather conditions and loads so we are delaying takeoff..Does make your heart pitter-patter when you actually do go down the runway and take off.

I lived in Phoenix in 1990 when there were flight delays at 118+. IIRC, story then was they did not have an airspeed/weight/runway length chart for temps that high. Maybe just didn’t have a long enough runway

I was booked on a flight from Burbank (California) to Las Vegas in 100+ heat some years back. Burbank has a short runway and the Angeles Crest mountains in the line of sight after taking off. We took off with a less than full tank of fuel to reduce weight and get over the mountains in that heat. Shortly thereafter, we landed in Ontario (California), fueled fully, and then took off again to Vegas. It turned a 45 minute flight into about 90 minutes, but it was interesting to see how they worked around the problem.

In the heat of the summer back in the cold war we would have to remove fuel (weight) from our tanker aircraft sitting on alert. That meant after we offloaded to the B-52s on their way to nuke Moscow, we wouldn't have enough fuel to make it to an airfield. Not that there would be anything there but a radioactive crater, of course.

In the heat of the summer back in the cold war we would have to remove fuel (weight) from our tanker aircraft sitting on alert. That meant after we offloaded to the B-52s on their way to nuke Moscow, we wouldn't have enough fuel to make it to an airfield. Not that there would be anything there but a radioactive crater, of course.

Love that scene. Haven't seen it in a while.

We've had some downpours the last couple of afternoons. The road to town was a little rocky today. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_135441933_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180724_135441933_HDR.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 24

I remember when I was working I had to fly out out Phoenix... left here and it was about 100 degrees with high humidity... got to Phoenix and went outside and thought it was 'cool' compared to Houston... found out that it was 112.

In my neck of the woods.

Dry or not, it’s still pretty hot.

We also got Flex Alerts for today and tomorrow, asking us to keep A/C at 78 between 5 pm and 9 pm. That’s not a problem because we will be in the pool.

Last edited:
We're hitting a nice and even 111 today. Palm Springs is heading towards a high of 121. At least it's a dry heat as someone said earlier here.
I can't even imagine. :( Take care and I hope you don't get overheated.

Supposedly we are having a break in the heat today. At the moment it's only 92F outside (with 57% humidity, "feels like" 103F), and our high today was 94F. I'm not sure why but it still seems insanely hot out there. We went outside just briefly to go get lunch, and now I'm back in the AC for the day.

Rain could cool things off, but we have no rain predicted until next weekend. On the other hand, that doesn't mean it won't rain! Predictions often miss the mark, and hope springs eternal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom