This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cold here in MN. currently 3F, but very little snow. I've used my snow blower twice and one of those was because it was a heavy wet snow and I didn't want a heart attack.

Yesterday, I cleaned both driveways, and a path through the yard to each barn...in many spots I was plowing over 24" in drifts. Saturday we got 10" of snow, with 40 mph winds in NW Ohio. I have a 4x4 JD 955 with a loader which helped greatly, but hard to start a diesel in 0 degree wind chills.

Yeah I'll get it sorted out before the next storm.

There are lots of carburetor-cleaning videos on youtube to show you how to do that. Probably a 15 to 30-minute job once you gather together the carburetor cleaner and tools.

When I'm done with the snowblower I turn the fuel off and let it run the carburetor dry so the fuel doesn't congeal in the jets. That seems to work on preventing problems.

Back on topic, high temperature today was 15°F which is dang cold for these parts. Low is forecast to be 3°F. Sure am glad we have natural gas heat and can crank that furnace up!

It's been really cold here. I went to a grocery store last night and it was a huge mistake. It was 0F and I don't know what it was with a wind chill factor. The distance from our car to the store's front door was about 50ft and I was running at the end to avoid feeling the cold. The snow was crunchy since it was so cold and dry. People who are willing to work outside in this weather should be paid tons of money.

More snow. The forecast says an inch in the next 48 hours. There's a new six inches in the driveway now and it's going to snow overnight.

Barely hit 60F today in Sarasota. Snowbirds were pissed:mad:

People were wearing winter coats in Scottsdale, Az today. And it was 65°.

Same here in south Texas. My neighbor lady was walking her dog and wearing a full length down stuffed coat. It also had a hood which she was not using. I asked her if she was hot in the coat since it was about 60F and sunny at that time. She said she was because she had a down vest under it. No kidding!:LOL:

This weather is awful!!

10 degrees last night, 13 out right now.. the wind was is howling. I took my exercise walk anyway. I put on my Alaska parka on and a face mask. I cant say I ever got cold. The usually see another walker but not today. The wind got the best of me I cut it short rather than face more into the wind walking... I need my nose and ears.

Last edited:
At 9:00 pm in the western Chicago burbs it's warmed up to 11 degrees, from the 3 degrees this morning. Woohoo. feels like summer already.

Southwest Airlines suggested I change my outgoing evening flight tomorrow to Dallas to leave before or after the snow storm that's in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening. Why, certainly we retired people can accommodate a change of schedule, especially when it costs no more because of weather--I'll be happy to leave at 10 am tomorrow instead! I just hope the poor unpaid TSA folks will be manning their posts.

At 9:00 pm in the western Chicago burbs it's warmed up to 11 degrees, from the 3 degrees this morning. Woohoo. feels like summer already.

Southwest Airlines suggested I change my outgoing evening flight tomorrow to Dallas to leave before or after the snow storm that's in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening. Why, certainly we retired people can accommodate a change of schedule, especially when it costs no more because of weather--I'll be happy to leave at 10 am tomorrow instead! I just hope the poor unpaid TSA folks will be manning their posts.

Good luck getting out of the frozen northlands, Miz Feever. TSA has an app that gives a real-time update of wait times, you might find helpful.

Good luck getting out of the frozen northlands, Miz Feever. TSA has an app that gives a real-time update of wait times, you might find helpful.

Thanks! I'll download it so I'll know what to expect--there were still seats on almost all of SW's flights tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be a relatively quiet morning following the holiday today. Famous last words!

10 degrees last night, 13 out right now.. the wind was is howling. I took my exercise walk anyway. I put on my Alaska parka on and a face mask. I cant say I ever got cold. The usually see another walker but not today. The wind got the best of me I cut it short rather than face more into the wind walking... I need my nose and ears.

Thank you for your post! I should be taking out my ski pants from my closet and wear them to go grocery shopping, etc. Why not, right? I just need to wear warmer clothes! Why didn't I think of that? I moved from Northern California to Canada a few years ago, and this feels like the coldest winter yet, and I just wasn't thinking! I could up my level of protection!

One of pluses in life in Florida is I can say my simple casual wardrobe is worn year round. When the temps get nippy my space heater warms up the rooms in the house real quick. Why do some homes in South Florida have fireplaces I have yet to comprehend.

Snow and very strong wind all last night and all today. Drifts well over a foot deep. It finally cleared out at dusk. It should be very cold tonight. I will need to plow the roads again tomorrow.

Yesterday, I cleaned both driveways, and a path through the yard to each barn...in many spots I was plowing over 24" in drifts. Saturday we got 10" of snow, with 40 mph winds in NW Ohio. I have a 4x4 JD 955 with a loader which helped greatly, but hard to start a diesel in 0 degree wind chills.

So, I wrote that^^^^ on Monday, Monday night was -5 with -20 windchills, it is currently raining (Tuesday evening), and supposed to be 44 degrees tomorrow with an inch of rain......ARGHHHHH !

It snowed. 20190121_154056.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom