This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the rain - I get a job, buy a motorcycle with the proceeds, and I personally can claim to have ended the drought here. The thing sits in the garage on my days off more than riding because of the dang rain! That's why I'm at the keyboard instead of riding now.

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Yes, the rain - I get a job, buy a motorcycle with the proceeds, and I personally can claim to have ended the drought here. The thing sits in the garage on my days off more than riding because of the dang rain! That's why I'm at the keyboard instead of riding now.
Walt, move to south TX and you'll get to ride all you want - or make a fortune as a rainmaker...

It is dry. I notice almost no actual sweat. I guess it just evaporates immediately.

That's why the physiologists call it "Insensible Water Loss"!!

I live in the vicinity of Seattle (the other side of the pond as they say)...107 degrees on my porch right now! We are known to whine when it gets up to 85 degrees! :LOL:

Let the whining begin....holy schmokes... what is going on! :(

Wow - some of these temps you folks are getting are unbelievable.

I joined the "100 Club" in Ephesus,Turkey while I was away. We were outside, walking among the Roman ruins, very slowly, and the tour guide told us it was something C degrees (can't remember), the equivalent of 100 F. She gave us all the option to sit and wait in the shade or continue. We had a 1.5L jug of water with us and felt fine so we continued. It was blazing hot. :(

I started this thread when the Pacific NW was suffering snow and ice over New Years. Now we feel like we are bbq'd. I am in Portland for a few days and am staying inside. We are just not accustomed to this kind of heat. The forests are very dry.

I remember.....it messed with the plans and hopes leading up to my retirement! The weather that is....not your thread.....:):)...but it is all good if ya know what I mean.....after all, I AM retired! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I put in a heat pump this year....boy do I look like a genius today!! :whistle:

Its official folks. Seattle blew away the old record of 100 at SeaTac

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]102.9 (39.4)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]90.0 (32.2)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]In the 6 hours preceding Jul 29, 2009 - 07:53 PM EDT / 2009.07.29 2353 UTC [/FONT]
We went sailing to cool off. Probably only in the 80's out in the middle of Puget Sound. Burned myself on the seat buckle when I got back into the car.

DD

Rain!

And it is actually cool outside, 72 degrees!!!
:dance:

rain.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to strafe the Austin area and the northern Hill Country. We are getting a few showers here. Farther south, where they're even more desperate, still nothing...

Summer has officially arrived here, as they say, "bring out the woolies."

Trade ya some of that heat for some cold wet drizzly fog.

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 102
She likes to work in the yard, so I don't want to deprive her. But I will walk her dogs for her.:)

:(

Just had a little rain shower and now it is clearing up. Probably about 70 today. Little old baby Judy the wiener dog now likes to be carried on her walks. :)

Got back into town (Tempe, AZ) on Tuesday and found the lawn in desperate need of mowing. Only problem: 115 F. My standard solution: wear shorts and t-shirt, and soak myself from head to toe with the hose. Mow for 10 minutes. Repeat.

Even despite our absurd heat, it's normal for these parts and we're reasonably prepared. I feel truly sorry for those in Portland or Seattle when it cracks 100 degrees there. We look forward to days that are merely 100 F, but they're just not set up with stuff like AC for that kind of weather. Bad news.

Got back into town (Tempe, AZ) on Tuesday and found the lawn in desperate need of mowing. Only problem: 115 F. My standard solution: wear shorts and t-shirt, and soak myself from head to toe with the hose. Mow for 10 minutes. Repeat.

Even despite our absurd heat, it's normal for these parts and we're reasonably prepared. I feel truly sorry for those in Portland or Seattle when it cracks 100 degrees there. We look forward to days that are merely 100 F, but they're just not set up with stuff like AC for that kind of weather. Bad news.

And it is now staying at 100 degrees at night. When it drops into the low/mid 90's with low humidity I do enjoy the few hours on the patio before 9 am.

Hi Wally, I am over in Gilbert!:greetings10:

Yeah - but that's November!

That could be true Wally, but with the extra farmland here in the East Valley we get a little cooler a little earlier! :D A girls gotta have something to look forward to.:whistle:

Got to love rain. Last week it was 109 when we went into CostCo. A storm strafed us while we were inside. 30 minutes (and $200) later it had dropped to 84. And we haven't seen those lows since then.

Have staff visiting from our UK and Canada offices and are trying to translated the temps to C so they can go back and boast what they had been through.

Did you try one of those personal misting systems? I always wondered how they work. We have a pool and it is only 92.

You mean the single misting nozzle on a stand or the battery operated fan with a spray bottle attached? The former works sort of OK if you're sitting still. The latter is pretty useless.

I've tried everything over the years. When I'm really hot, drenching seems the best. I did field work for years in the truly hot areas northeast of Yuma. Even hotter than the Phoenix valley, routinely topping 120 F. My preferred, highly sophisticated approach, was to invert a bucket of water onto my head and shoulders.

Some things are better to have done than to do...

Today's August 1st and we just put on the ac. I hate it, but the humidity is high; when the humidity is so bad, its hard to get my inside work done so I guess I'll spend the day cleaning!

I don't understand how the forecasters can *consistently* screw up the forecast high temperature by 5-7 degrees. When they say the high will be 97, you can count on 102 or 103 every time. When they say 100, think 106. They said 98 for today and it's already 103, and it's not even the time of day where the temperatures peak (usually around 4 to 5 PM). It's happened almost every day this summer.

At some point you'd think they'd just add 5 degrees to the local forecast high, and then they'd look really accurate...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom