This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your sunscreen and straw hat out, Moe.

Sunny and high 80s and 90s coming this weekend to NY state. WoooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :whistle:

I came here to visit my daughter , grandson and SIL and hoped to escape the heat and now it is following me .:blush:

:p Today was the 50th day this summer where temps have reached 100 or more. The previous record (going back 150 years) was 39 days.

Our only hope before October is for a storm to blow our way from the Gulf. That appears more likely today than any time this summer - hurricane season is suddenly heating up.

:p Today was the 50th day this summer where temps have reached 100 or more. The previous record (going back 150 years) was 39 days.

Including today, it's 58 days here. Absolutely no end in sight. None.

Our only hope before October is for a storm to blow our way from the Gulf. That appears more likely today than any time this summer - hurricane season is suddenly heating up.
Ana baby, I love ya, won't you come over?

Seriously -- I don't know that you and I can begin to really paint the picture of just how brutally horrible it is here now. Yes, folks, it really IS that bad, and then some.

Including today, it's 58 days here. Absolutely no end in sight. None.

Ana baby, I love ya, won't you come over?

Seriously -- I don't know that you and I can begin to really paint the picture of just how brutally horrible it is here now. Yes, folks, it really IS that bad, and then some.
I'm assuming you are already on severe water restrictions. :(
When will your state Guv enact the contingency plans to provide water for livestock, people, etc?

img_847058_0_7dab5df9aa0afbe36d0aad4feb743f62.gif

My central air is no longer blowing cool air. Months of punishing heat finally did it in. The inside temp has climbed 3 degrees in the past 45 minutes. I've called my repair guy and left a message - he may be so far behind I'll have to try someone else.

On the plus side, today's high is not expected to exceed 99...:p And yes, we have the [-]escape pod[/-] RV parked next to the house.

Did you check to see if the compressor outside is still running?

My A/C has been like that for a while, but apparently it is because the fan in my attic is not working (so the air gets really hot up there and it is working against a gradient). That might be easier/cheaper to replace if that is all it is. Might be worth checking while you are waiting for your A/C guy, unless the cause of the A/C problem is obvious.

Everything both inside and outside is running - at least all the fans are going. Hard to tell what the compressor is doing - other than not cooling.

My guy called me back and promises to be here tomorrow.

In addition to having the RV for cooling, we converted a screened porch to a play room for the grandkids a while back and it has its own AC unit. I'm sitting in a very small chair as I type this...

Oh good! It sounds like you are relatively cool, even though a wee bit cramped for space in that chair.

Glad he can come tomorrow. No sense in taking the risk of getting overheated crawling around in that attic to look at the fan, under the circumstances.

Try a nice big glass of icewater, or other cold beverage.... :)

img_847115_0_7dab5df9aa0afbe36d0aad4feb743f62.gif

My central air is no longer blowing cool air. Months of punishing heat finally did it in. The inside temp has climbed 3 degrees in the past 45 minutes. I've called my repair guy and left a message - he may be so far behind I'll have to try someone else.

On the plus side, today's high is not expected to exceed 99...:p And yes, we have the [-]escape pod[/-] RV parked next to the house.

This has happened to me several times and it was usually that the unit was frozen . I would turn the temp setting to at least ten degrees hotter and see what happens.

Sometimes the compressor cuts itself out on thermal overload from running too long. If that is case it will start running in 15 or 20 minutes. Though it could be refrigerant leaked out, for whatever reason. Knowing why, is the reason HVAC folks get the big bucks, plus for working in the heat. And maybe actually having a spare part to make it work.:D

Good to have escape pod!

After shutting the unit off for a couple of hours I switched it back on and it's working. The unit is 11 years old and has only had one problem - a bad coil three years ago, replaced under the 10 years parts and labor warranty. This repair job will be on my nickel...

94 today was kinda humid. I think it was like 40% humidity. Bleh. Went for my morning walk then had to stay indoors. :(

'nother thought, the drain from the evaporator clogged, evap coil could ice up. Might check the drain in the indoor unit above the blower, be sure that it is clear.

That would depend on the humidity level. I thought your area had dry heat.:D

After shutting the unit off for a couple of hours I switched it back on and it's working. The unit is 11 years old and has only had one problem - a bad coil three years ago, replaced under the 10 years parts and labor warranty. This repair job will be on my nickel...

Great! Should make you feel comfortable until the A/C repairman shows up tomorrow. He can check it out and bill ($$$$!!!) you for it.

'nother thought, the drain from the evaporator clogged, evap coil could ice up. Might check the drain in the indoor unit above the blower, be sure that it is clear.

That would depend on the humidity level. I thought your area had dry heat.:D

Yep, a dry heat. :yuk:

Could easily be what you suggest, but I think I'm going with W2R's suggestion and allow the repair guy to check it out for me tomorrow. The unit hasn't been serviced for 3 years and it is in the [-]oven[/-] attic...

Sorry about the a/c troubles REWahoo. Just reading your posts makes me hot.
sFun_hot.gif

btw...it's 91 degrees right now in my neck o' the woods.

One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.

we live in east central Texas and everytime we go see our son in North Austin we cross the line... hmmm there might be a song in there somewhere...

I guess I'm in the "normal" area....Ellis County. Hot and dry as usual. Got 3/4" of rain a few weeks ago, but it just ran down the cracks in the ground.
2(?) years ago the local corn farmers lost all their crops. You could tell which fields were insured by the couple of rows they left standing for the adjusters to inspect.
This year they got what looks like a small crop. From the ears I saw maybe 60-70 bu./acre. I can't imagine them being able to cover input costs with that yield and current corn prices.

I can't imagine at all living with 100 plus degree heat for so long. You folks should come visit. Even April, when I was last in Texas, things looked mighty brown.

We had nearly three inches of rain yesterday, a record. A bit south of us they had six inches. The humidity is 91% and even though it is only 60 degrees and cloudy it is plenty warm feeling. I was doing an extensive prune job on my 15 forsythia bushes yesterday when it began to rain. Now I have branches all over a very wet ground, thinking that they need to sit there another day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom