This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine at all living with 100 plus degree heat for so long. You folks should come visit. Even April, when I was last in Texas, things looked mighty brown.

We had nearly three inches of rain yesterday, a record. A bit south of us they had six inches. The humidity is 91% and even though it is only 60 degrees and cloudy it is plenty warm feeling. I was doing an extensive prune job on my 15 forsythia bushes yesterday when it began to rain. Now I have branches all over a very wet ground, thinking that they need to sit there another day or two.

I have a good friend on another forum from Bemidji Minnesota. We always kid with each other about the weather. Her winters sound as brutal as my summers. After seeing some of the pictures she's posted that area is beautiful even in winter.

I have a good friend on another forum from Bemidji Minnesota. We always kid with each other about the weather. Her winters sound as brutal as my summers. After seeing some of the pictures she's posted that area is beautiful even in winter.
When it's cold, you can always add layers and warm clothing to get comfortable. When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.

Of course, we also don't have to shovel heat or lack of rain.

When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.

Good point. About the only way my brother and I could get comfy after shoveling a trailer full of feed into the barn was to drive straight down to the Medina river, shuck our clothes, and jump in. :blush:

Those were the good old days...:greetings10:

Yep, a dry heat. :yuk:
The unit hasn't been serviced for 3 years and it is in the [-]oven[/-] attic...

I think the service charge just went up by $100.- :mad: Hope it gets sorted out.

About the only way my brother and I could get comfy after shoveling a trailer full of feed into the barn was to drive straight down to the Medina river, shuck our clothes, and jump in.

This is the view from my back yard a couple of years ago when it actually rained. The Medina river runs just behind the first hill - a little too far from the barn to cool off...

img_847347_0_5c9bd1f677b8c30120422c87e12e4277.jpg

I'm in NYC and I finally broke - I have the a/c on as I type.

It takes a while for my apartment to heat up, and I don't really like sleeping with a/c.

It's HOT out, so enough of that - My little freestanding unit is humming away, and the cats are happier.

ta,
mew

REWahoo,
Would it be worthwhile to buy a window AC unit for one of the rooms of your house (in addition to the converted playroom?) The new window units are a lot quieter, and some people with central AC get one just for their master BR to keep it cool at night while they turn off the central AC. In the morning they open the windows in the house, turn on the whole-house fan, or start up the central AC again, but over the course of the evening they don't pay to cool the whole house and just let the outside shell of the house cool off on its own.

Would it be worthwhile to buy a window AC unit for one of the rooms of your house (in addition to the converted playroom?)
I've given that some thought.

A window a/c unit is not an option because the three windows in the MBR look out into what once was a screened porch and is now the enclosed playroom.

However... the AC unit we have in the playroom is a wall mounted heat pump, the type you see in many motel rooms. It is a farily large unit (14,500 BTU if I recall correctly) and with our MBR windows to the playroom open and the aid of a fan, might cool both the playroom and our MBR. I was going to give that a try last night until I discovered the central unit worked OK again when I restarted it after a couple hours rest. (BTW, it is still cooling fine and the repair guy is on his way to check it out.)

I will do some experimenting to see how this idea works. With the possibility of a 40%+ increase in electric rates looming for us in January, I need to be looking for some cost-saving options anyway.

Great! Should make you feel comfortable until the A/C repairman shows up tomorrow. He can check it out and bill ($$$$!!!) you for it.

Looks like the culprit was burned contacts on the 'contactor assembly' - at least that's what the AC guy suspected based on how bad it looked (it was fried). However he did say the symptoms could also indicate a bad starting capacitor or an internal fault in the compre$$or. I should know within a few days if this $225 fix did the job.

Looks like the culprit was burned contacts on the 'contactor assembly' - at least that's what the AC guy suspected based on how bad it looked (it was fried). However he did say the symptoms could also indicate a bad starting capacitor or an internal fault in the compre$$or. I should know within a few days if this $225 fix did the job.

Interesting! Good thing you called him. Hopefully this will take care of it. And frankly, $225 was a steal for this time of year, even here where the temperatures haven't been as high. That A/C guy sounds like a keeper (if this fixed it).

We call Bemidjii, Burrmidgii.

When it's cold, you can always add layers and warm clothing to get comfortable. When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.

Of course, we also don't have to shovel heat or lack of rain.

Well sorta. If it is windy and way below zero you never are comfortable outside.

Our temps have been in the low 90's very high 80's most of the summer . You can be outside but yard work is brutal . I need to weed but the only way I can manage it is to weed for a half hour ,jump in the pool and weed again for a half hour . I've been reading a lot and now I'm thinking up projects for the SO to tackle . I will be glad when the cooler weather returns .

Hey, guess what? It's raining again. :mad:
Anybody want rain? Come on up, we've got all you want.
I've seen rainy summers before, but this one takes the cake.

End of rant. ;)

Well, if I could send you some from MN I would (even though we are technically in a drought, not nearly as severe).
But all our runoff goes down to W2R, perhaps she will loan you the Mississippi for a little while?

Our rains have resumed on a regular basis, and believe me, I appreciate them. Today, 80% chance of rain and temperatures in the 80's predicted for the coming week.

If/when the Mississippi causes any flooding, Ziggy may have my share of it. Meanwhile, it is not only a resource for recreation, transportation, and industry, but also the source of our tap water down here. Thank goodness for modern water treatment technologies! :)

68 degrees cloudy. Got 1-1/2" of rain early this morning. Looks like it's headed your way Ziggy.....keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I think you Texans need to get the women out plowing fields naked to shame the rain gods.

I think you Texans need to get the women out plowing fields naked to shame the rain gods.

With all that sun, doesn't the tractor seat get hot? Can one plow efficiently while standing in a John Deere? :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom