Tips for learning how to play guitar?

Good tip. When I first started on guitar I had it on a stand in the living room. I'd pick it up several times a day for a few minutes at a time, sometimes only 5 minutes or less. I'd run through the basic open chords and barre chords working on developing muscle memory and building callouses.

If your guitar is stored in a case in another room you're far less likely to put in those 5 minute sessions.

I agree wholeheartedly. A good case is essential but primarily for transporting the guitar. Otherwise it’s like Dracula’s coffin for the instrument. As you mention, a good stand is a great idea for when it’s set aside, ready to be picked up by you to play. They’re not that expensive.

Last edited:
I used to keep a basic Yamaha keyboard next to my computer in the family room, and several times a day I'd just flip the switch and play something for a few minutes or maybe 20 minutes or so. DW didn't like it there, I have a much better set up in a spare room now, but I don't play nearly as often.

-ERD50

This sounds like the setup that works best for me. I have my steel placed next (right angles) to a Yamaha keyboard. My feeling is that a piano is essential. It’s like graph paper for figuring out chords, voicings & so on.

I agree wholeheartedly. A good case is essential but primarily for transporting the guitar. Otherwise it’s like Dracula’s coffin for the instrument. As you mention, a good stand is a great idea for when it’s set aside, ready to be picked up by you to play. They’re not that expensive.

I have the guitar on a stand in a gig bag, so just need to take it out of the bag.

All my musician friends are desperate for any work nowadays, so if you have any spare cash at all I'd recommend finding an online guitar teacher and sharing some love. Online music lessons are very good. I recently did a full week online jazz camp, and it was great!

Let me know if you need any names, but, I'd recommend finding a local musician to your area. Don't be afraid to ask non-guitar players for local recommendations (drummers, piano players, singers, flute players) as guitar players are likely to recommend themselves.

All my musician friends are desperate for any work nowadays, so if you have any spare cash at all I'd recommend finding an online guitar teacher and sharing some love. Online music lessons are very good. I recently did a full week online jazz camp, and it was great!

Let me know if you need any names, but, I'd recommend finding a local musician to your area. Don't be afraid to ask non-guitar players for local recommendations (drummers, piano players, singers, flute players) as guitar players are likely to recommend themselves.

Good idea, I know the head of well known Youth Jazz Band in the DFW area.

The friend of mine did learn how to play Eddie Van Halen riffs! Someone had figured out how to package them into lessons.

I guess that’s what we do - someone invents something and then others figure out how to mass produce it. If interested, there’s a fun video on YouTube from the last few years with EVH being interviewed in front of an audience at the Smithsonian for a series on American originals. As a former teenager, I found it shocking, amusing and disorienting to witness a rock deity share how he actually has mortal qualities, just like the rest of us, and how he struggled growing up, apparently in human form. He was even a bit nervous and shy in front of the audience. Then he plays some riffs [emoji450].

A nylon string classical guitar is much easier for a newb to tame.

Yes. This newbie suffered for a good six weeks before the finger tips of my chord playing hand toughened up. I wanted to keep playing and playing those first few weeks, but my fingertips weren't having any of it. They literally throbbed with pain on many a night.

It's all good now, but, whew, those first weeks were rough

I would imagine aside from some finger tip tenderness, the type of strings would not matter that much. I have heard that the distance between strings and the height of the strings above a fret might be more of a factor in being easier to play.

You are in luck. You have an electric guitar. These will be easier on your fingers than most acoustic guitars. Your fingers are going to get sore at first but a few minutes a day and they will eventually get tougher. If you don't have an amp don't worry. Get used to the guitar first and later a small amp will serve you just fine unless you think you are good enough to go on the road with Willie.

Start with a few chords. If you like old Rock-n-Roll then you will find the majority of songs only have about 4-5 chords. Country is pretty much the same. Begin simple with C, D, G, E, A until they become comfortable, sound clear without buzzing, and easier to change. Add to your list as you progress. Eventually you will want to learn Barre chords. There are plenty of website where you can see pictures of everything.
Youtube is your friend. There are hundreds of free instructions for beginners to advanced.
There are also websites like Ultimate-guitar.com that give you the lyrics and chords of thousands of songs from most any decade and genre.
I recommend finding a copy of "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer. I recently saw a used copy on Abebooks.com for about $15 including shipping. LOTS of good information and pages of chords. More than you will ever use but there if you need it.

Don't give up. It will get easier. And there will get to be a time when after you have learned a couple of dozen chords that you will be able to listen to a song and be able to "play by ear".
You are going to have some fun!

Cheers!

I would imagine aside from some finger tip tenderness, the type of strings would not matter that much. I have heard that the distance between strings and the height of the strings above a fret might be more of a factor in being easier to play.
This is my humble opinion. The string composition, action, and neck profile all affect the playability.

But that was not my point. I was referring to the overall learning experience. A cheap guitar (classical, acoustic or electric) will be a challenge. But overall a simple classical guitar will be best for a newb learner.

The major reason I can think of is that a classical guitar plays without external hookup. It is a simple instrument that can be transported or played without much mumbo jumbo.

The next reason is the issue of control. Acoustic and electric ring on, which is a superb feature for an experienced player. A classical guitar has sustain too, but it is a more subdued experience.

Just one opinion, and not trying to negate any other opinions.

A cheap acoustic with metal strings will be a much harder battle than a mid-priced electric, in my experience (with respect to finger pain and toughening). I just threw in the towel on the acoustic guitar and went with a ukulele because not only is there short time to effective finger toughness, it's also so easy to transport and play around the campfire, and places like that. But like I said before, and not that it matters, but nobody ever really listens :LOL:

All-in-all, I'd say get a decent acoustic guitar that stays in tune and doesn't have too "high action" that makes pressing down the strings harder. You can take an acoustic anywhere, anytime, and hear (vs. an electric).

Keep your fretting fingernails clipped (I do mine almost weekly).

And begin by learning the "cowboy" (open) chords: C, D, G, E, A, B7 (that's a good one to learn and know early on), F (a bit harder to play, at first, but well worth it), Em, Am, Bm, and the other 7ths: C7, D7, E7, A7, G7, Am7, Bm7, Em7, etc. Once you have those basic guitar chords down you're ready to play hundreds of songs. (And, as I suggested before, get a decent capo--so that you can play those open cowboy chords in other keys that better suit your voice.) You'll soon see and learn "patterns"--like in most other aspects of life. (You can get into the augmented, suspended and diminished chords, and others, later on.)

Most of all, just have fun! That's what I've been doing lately. I've been trying to learn a new song a week on guitar. I've now got over 1,000 songs in Word/PDF format (on some 350 pages): chords, lyrics, song structure, and links to YouTube videos so that I can play along.

Last edited:

In order of playability from easiest to hardest: electric, nylon string acoustic, steel string acoustic.

The guitarist in one of my bands practices almost exclusively on his acoustic guitar. He says then when he picks up the electric it's super easy to play. I'm primarily a bass player and most of my guitar playing is on an acoustic.

This is my humble opinion. The string composition, action, and neck profile all affect the playability.

But that was not my point. I was referring to the overall learning experience. A cheap guitar (classical, acoustic or electric) will be a challenge. But overall a simple classical guitar will be best for a newb learner.

The major reason I can think of is that a classical guitar plays without external hookup. It is a simple instrument that can be transported or played without much mumbo jumbo.

The next reason is the issue of control. Acoustic and electric ring on, which is a superb feature for an experienced player. A classical guitar has sustain too, but it is a more subdued experience.

Just one opinion, and not trying to negate any other opinions.

One difference between a classical and regular acoustic (other than nylon strings) is that the strings are spaced further apart. It may be easier in the fact that there is less chance of your fingers muting the string next to the one you are fretting, but it may be harder if you have short fingers making some chords harder to play.

If you're going to play both acoustic and electric my preference would be a non-classical acoustic so that both guitars have a more similar string spacing allowing you to switch back and forth with very little adjustment.

Metal strings are harder on the fingers than nylon. My twelve string guitar, which had double metal strings for each finger position, seriously required the callouses. Painful for a while.

The action on the fretboard - the strings shouldn’t be high above the fretboard, otherwise the guitar neck is warped or needs adjustment.

Last edited:
In order of playability from easiest to hardest: electric, nylon string acoustic, steel string acoustic.

The guitarist in one of my bands practices almost exclusively on his acoustic guitar. He says then when he picks up the electric it's super easy to play. I'm primarily a bass player and most of my guitar playing is on an acoustic.

That is good to hear since I have an electric. I am not sure where a Fender Stratocaster sits in terms of entry or mid level, but right now will use it until there would be a need for something else if that day ever comes. I can see the advantages in an acoustic from a portability aspect as others mentioned, but for quite some time I won't be venturing away from my mac where the guitar and amp is now located. Right now my main focus is going to be on finger dexterity, strengthening and leaning to get my fingers into proper positions. Initially it is putting more strain on my wrist and forearm than finger tips and spreading the fingers apart is not the easiest.

There are many different countries that manufacture the Fender Stratocaster including China, Mexico, Japan and the US. Quality of construction will vary with those made in the US considered by most to be the best.
This should not make a difference for you right now. Any would be great to start out on.

What is important for any guitar is how well it has been set up (a variety of adjustment that optimize it's playability). A good and reputable shop should be able to help you with this. I would check their reviews for this. But for now you mainly need to work on learning some chords and develop some flexibility. Relax your shoulders, be aware of your finger placement behind the frets, and probably don't press so hard (most people first learning do this).

My first guitar was a $15 meat board from Sears I got for Christmas about 50 years ago. It was tough going until I got something as nice as yours. I have been through about 16 guitars since then and still have 5 (some electric and some acoustic) that I won't let go. Although arthritis is catching up to me it was fun playing in 3 different bands in my earlier years. Now I enjoy playing for my own relaxation during quiet times.

Cheers!

What is important for any guitar is how well it has been set up (a variety of adjustment that optimize it's playability). A good and reputable shop should be able to help you with this. I would check their reviews for this. But for now you mainly need to work on learning some chords and develop some flexibility. Relax your shoulders, be aware of your finger placement behind the frets, and probably don't press so hard (most people first learning do this).

+1

This!! Please pay to have your guitar re-strung AND setup by a pro. If you don't know of a place, just try Guitar Center. This way you can be confident that any issues with playing the guitar are due to the player's technique and not due to the guitar. Also the action will typically be lower, allowing you to fret chords cleanly with less finger pressure. Less discomfort and frustration are keys to keeping you playing!

Do you like to sing, even if poorly, in the shower, etc?? The approach I prefer to learning basic guitar chords is to find a song that you enjoy that contains only a few basic chords. The website and app "ultimate-guitar.com" is great for this (note "simplify" chords option and "transpose" to make life easier) The song should be familiar enough that you can sing some of the melody and know most of the lyrics. A song you enjoyed from childhood or teen years w*rks well. I used popular Bob Dylan or Neil Young from the '60's and '70's, but anything you enjoy and have heard a million times can w*rk well.

I agree in the recommendation on learning to use a capo. It allows you to easily shift a song you've found on the web into your comfortable singing range without having to learn new chords.

Concentrate on this one song and the 2-3 chords in it. Sing or hum the song slowly as you fret the chords and strum along. You can approach it in sections, concentrating on a single chord, then switch to the next section with a different chord (chord change). Once you can fret the 2-3 different chords shapes, you can w*rk on the transitions between the different chords. Don't worry too much about strumming at this point, other than strumming to the beat. There will be time to make strumming more interesting once you can play the song's chord changes smoothly and at normal speed.

Don't give up! It can take days or even weeks to learn your first song. I think most folks have a difficult time forming even basic common chord shapes like G, C, D, and F. The changes between these can be even more vexing.

At some point, you can add another song that you are learning while still keeping the first in "rotation". After some time you will have learned several songs while always still w*rking on something new. You many even find that you can easily play the songs you have learned earlier, even from memory. The new stuff can still be a struggle, in part because you are learning new chords or w*rking on right hand technique (strum patterns, finger picking, etc.). On day you may wake up and find that you have become a musician! :D

Eventually, you many want a chord theory book that will teach you how songs are written in a given "key" and how that relates to the chords in the song. You will learn chord substitution (often to make playing easier :D) and transposition to others keys (the theory behind what ultimate-guitar "transpose" magic). At some point you may want perform before an audience, even if only one person, or you may want to record, or try another instrument, or write you own songs! :dance:

Probably the easiest song to play is America's "Horse With No Name". It contains just 2 chords: Em and D6/9/F#. Although the 2nd chord sounds complicated it's just 2nd fret Low E and 2nd fret G string all the rest of the strings are open. Alternate the chords each bar.

What is important for any guitar is how well it has been set up (a variety of adjustment that optimize it's playability). A good and reputable shop should be able to help you with this. I would check their reviews for this.

+1

This!! Please pay to have your guitar re-strung AND setup by a pro. If you don't know of a place, just try Guitar Center. This way you can be confident that any issues with playing the guitar are due to the player's technique and not due to the guitar. Also the action will typically be lower, allowing you to fret chords cleanly with less finger pressure. Less discomfort and frustration are keys to keeping you playing!

I am not familiar with the term setup. Does this just mean restringing and tuning or is there something else involved?

Edit - OK found using google, since my guitar is probably 15 years old, I will get the guitar restrung and setup as there is a local luthier that does all sorts of guitar work.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the term setup. Does this just mean restringing and tuning or is there something else involved?

A guitar setup is much more than restringing and tuning. You can find descriptions of a good setup online, such as:

https://www.electricherald.com/guitar-setup-pro-guide/

Basically, this entire process insures that a) every note at every fret plays at the correct pitch and b) the strings are as close as possible to the frets without buzzing while strumming. I have this done to almost every new guitar to insure that I'm starting properly.

Having the strings as close as possible to the frets greatly reduces the physical effort required to finger any given chord. This is critical since one of the biggest challenges in playing a chord (several notes played together) is properly holding down each note at the same time for what seems like an eternity while your fingers and hand screams out in pain!

The lower the "action", the closer the strings are to the frets and the easier it is to play the instrument. Of course, if the action is too long, the strings will buzz or hit against the frets where they shouldn't.

Generally speaking, the action or string height is set by filing the depth of the string grooves in the plastic nut (plastic piece that the strings pass over next to the tuning machines/pegs) and adjusting the saddle height (were the strings are anchored on the guitar body near the pickups). On a Fender Stat, the saddle is mechanically adjusted by turning a screw.

Once the initial setup is done, I've learned to change own strings. If I play daily, I like to change my acoustic guitar strings every month or two, when they sound stale. The electric guitar is much less picky, perhaps because the amp colors the sound so much. As for tuning, I tune every time I play, and maybe check a few times during a practice session. I prefer a "clip on" tuner that clamps on the head of the guitar near the tuners. Some phone apps like GuitarTuna w*rk well too and is a favorite with my young musician friends.

I normally sing and chord along with my acoustic, aka playing rhythm guitar. This thread has inspired me to revisit my Fender Tele as my rhythm accompaniment. I've got the same setup as you: my Mac for internet access, my Fender on a stand, and my beautiful Fender blues amp. Hours of enjoyment! :dance:

Last edited:
A guitar setup is much more than restringing and tuning. You can find descriptions of a good setup online, such as:

https://www.electricherald.com/guitar-setup-pro-guide/

Basically, this entire process insures that a) every note at every fret plays at the correct pitch and b) the strings are as close as possible to the frets without buzzing while strumming. I have this done to almost every new guitar to insure that I'm starting properly.

Having the strings as close as possible to the frets greatly reduces the physical effort required to finger any given chord. This is critical since one of the biggest challenges in playing a chord (several notes played together) is properly holding down each note at the same time for what seems like an eternity while your fingers and hand screams out in pain!

The lower the "action", the closer the strings are to the frets and the easier it is to play the instrument. Of course, if the action is too long, the strings will buzz or hit against the frets where they shouldn't.

Generally speaking, the action or string height is set by filing the depth of the string grooves in the plastic nut (plastic piece that the strings pass over next to the tuning machines/pegs) and adjusting the saddle height (were the strings are anchored on the guitar body near the pickups). On a Fender Stat, the saddle is mechanically adjusted by turning a screw.

Once the initial setup is done, I've learned to change own strings. If I play daily, I like to change my acoustic guitar strings every month or two, when they sound stale. The electric guitar is much less picky, perhaps because the amp colors the sound so much. As for tuning, I tune every time I play, and maybe check a few times during a practice session. I prefer a "clip on" tuner that clamps on the head of the guitar near the tuners. Some phone apps like GuitarTuna w*rk well too and is a favorite with my young musician friends.

I normally sing and chord along with my acoustic, aka playing rhythm guitar. This thread has inspired me to revisit my Fender Tele as my rhythm accompaniment. I've got the same setup as you: my Mac for internet access, my Fender on a stand, and my beautiful Fender blues amp. Hours of enjoyment! :dance:

Thanks! Dropped off the guitar this morning at the luthier. He said the guitar is generally in pretty good shape, pots and finish were fine and surprisingly it was not badly out of tune. Strings were rusted and need replacing, action needs to be lowered, and I think he said something about pinning something (maybe the saddle, but not sure my terminology is correct) and a few other things. While he has it, I need to read up on my amp, it's a VOX AD50VT. I have no idea what all these dials and buttons do.

Thanks! Dropped off the guitar this morning at the luthier. He said the guitar is generally in pretty good shape, pots and finish were fine and surprisingly it was not badly out of tune. Strings were rusted and need replacing, action needs to be lowered, and I think he said something about pinning something (maybe the saddle, but not sure my terminology is correct) and a few other things. While he has it, I need to read up on my amp, it's a VOX AD50VT. I have no idea what all these dials and buttons do.

Get yourself a clip on tuner if you haven't done so yet, they are inexpensive (less than $20). Guitars go out of tune quickly and that's perfectly normal. Also, as the strings age they tend to go out of tune faster

Probably the easiest song to play is America's "Horse With No Name". It contains just 2 chords: Em and D6/9/F#. Although the 2nd chord sounds complicated it's just 2nd fret Low E and 2nd fret G string all the rest of the strings are open. Alternate the chords each bar.
I found Steely Dan's "Show Biz Kids" even easier to play: just a Dm7 throughout! And you can transpose that to any minor7 chord you desire. ;)

Back
Top Bottom