Tips for learning how to play guitar?

Since the pandemic lock-downs, I have been spending more and more time in my home recording studio focused on music composition and better sound engineering. I updated my studio computer late 2020. I added nine more virtual instruments and new effects processors to my digital audio workstation (DAW) during the past two weeks. I try to spend at least 45 minutes to an hour a day playing keyboards, guitar, or bass.

Guitar strings are subject to skin oils, dirt, dead skin, etc. Piano strings are not. If you never play the guitar, play it rarely or wash your hands regularly before playing, there really is no need to change the strings. They can also be cleaned with a mild wipe as well.

Bass player here. When my strings go "dead" because of all the skin oil, dirt, etc., I take them off and put them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Then they're good as new. My strings cost much more than regular guitar strings, so I like to get as much life out of them as possible before they need to be replaced.

Bass player here. When my strings go "dead" because of all the skin oil, dirt, etc., I take them off and put them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Then they're good as new. My strings cost much more than regular guitar strings, so I like to get as much life out of them as possible before they need to be replaced.

Bass is my main instrument. I get about 2 years from a set of roundwound strings then I just buy new ones. I have an old Precision with 10-year old flats and I'll probably never change them.

Bass is my main instrument. I get about 2 years from a set of roundwound strings then I just buy new ones. I have an old Precision with 10-year old flats and I'll probably never change them.
I also play bass, and have a 1977 P-Bass. I last changed the strings...I dunno. Maybe 10 years ago too. I think I once read that the great bass player for the band XTC, Colin Moulding, used to change his bass strings for every take, or was it just for every recordng session. It was extremely frequently whatever it was. Check out some of his/XTC's songs.

Back
Top Bottom