Tips for learning how to play guitar?

I a slow learner for sure, but I did sign up with a local teacher and lessons start this saturday. It is still a challenge to quickly perform a chord without some buzzing/muting. I also have a hard time repeating/memorizing a scale without going very slowly and checking the scale's diagram.

You have to develop calluses on you fingers and you will only do that by practicing regularly for a couple of weeks. Pick a favorite artist. Start with simple songs from that artist. It's easier to learn a song you are familiar with and that you want to play. When I started playing guitar in the early 70's, I listened to guitarists such as Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton, Steve Howe, Santana, and Joe Satriani. Learn to play rhythm guitar first with open chords and then bar chords throughout the fretboard. After you develop calluses, learn your scales. Learn the major scale and then blues, natural minor, pentatonic, and dorian mode scales.

I a slow learner for sure, but I did sign up with a local teacher and lessons start this saturday. It is still a challenge to quickly perform a chord without some buzzing/muting. I also have a hard time repeating/memorizing a scale without going very slowly and checking the scale's diagram.

That fantastic! Eventually I would like to take lessons.

I've learned that slowing down a lot really helps at getting the chords to sound good (most of the time) same with scales- I start super slow making sure to get them correct and also play them forward and backward, up, down. This has really helped me to remember different sets of scales and definitely builds the muscle memory in my hands! It 's amazing how much improvement you will see over time!
Keep strumming, picking, plucking and having fun!!:clap:

Yes, the "jump" from one chord to another is tough. Developing finger independence on both hands will come in time. There's usually a way to plant an anchor finger first, and that helps guide the others into place to get the next chord without "tripping."

Going slow without mistakes is the correct way. It sounds like you have success, and that is great to hear.

Song Structure

I have found one of the simplest songs to play (and sing). I'm usually a three chords and a bridge kinda guy, but 2 chords and no bridge is even better. And the two chords only require 2 fingers and 1 finger. A little strumming practice and I'll be a campfire hero!

One other crucial thing that you will discover, if you didn't know it before, while practicing guitar and learning to play some tunes, and is song structure.

Song structure comes in all sizes. Many folk songs (see some Bob Dylan songs) are "simply" AAA structure: where a chord progression is repeated (no chorus, no bridge).

Many popular songs are: verse x2, chorus; bridge; verse, chorus, coda--or variations of this.

I find it fun to learn song structure as I continue to play guitar. And don't get me started on key changes, such as "Surfer Girl" by Brian Wilson:

SURFER GIRL (Beach Boys): Intro: D F#m Bm F#m G Em A; Verse: D Bm G A D D7 G Gm, D Bm G A D Bm G A; Verse 2: D Bm G A D D7 G Gm D Bm G A D G D D7; We could ride: G A D Bm, G A D D7,
G A D Bm E (key change)... A Bflat (Bf) D# Cm G# A# D# D#7 G# G#m, D# Cm G# A# & repeat….

Little surfer, little one, Made my heart come all undone
Do you love me, do you Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl, my little surfer girl
2. I have watched you on the shore, Standing by the ocean's roar
Do you love me, do you, Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl...
We could ride the surf together, While our love would grow, In my Woody I would take you everywhere I go
(Key change): So I say from me to you, I will make your dreams come true... Do you love me, do you, surfer...girl, Surfer Girl, my little surfer girl, Little One, ahhh, little one, ahh..

That fantastic! Eventually I would like to take lessons.

I've learned that slowing down a lot really helps at getting the chords to sound good (most of the time) same with scales- I start super slow making sure to get them correct and also play them forward and backward, up, down. This has really helped me to remember different sets of scales and definitely builds the muscle memory in my hands! It 's amazing how much improvement you will see over time!
Keep strumming, picking, plucking and having fun!!:clap:

Yes, the "jump" from one chord to another is tough. Developing finger independence on both hands will come in time. There's usually a way to plant an anchor finger first, and that helps guide the others into place to get the next chord without "tripping."

Going slow without mistakes is the correct way. It sounds like you have success, and that is great to hear.

The thing that is tough as a beginner is getting over the thinking, will I ever get better:confused:

Sorry to break it to you...but you'll always think like that. :LOL:

That is most certainly true some things, but not for everything. Haven't you ever tried something the first time and said to yourself, I'm really good at this?

Robert Fripp

And here's a video by Robert Fripp (man! I was once such a King Crimson fan) about the importance of praticing the guitar:

How's It Coming? + Old Strings

How's it going with the guitar learning?

I wanted to update this great guitar-teaching thread with something new I think I've learned. That is, old guitar strings ain't necessarily bad. It's a common suggestion that you replace your strings often. I dunno whether that's from session guitar players or ? But that's been the usual thinking.

I last replaced my acoustic guitar strings Oct. 2019. They still sound fine to my ears. That got me to thinking: why frequently replace the strings if they still sound fine? They don't replace piano strings. I recognize that fresh strings usually have a crisper/brighter sound. (I'll replace all 6 when one eventually breaks.)

How's it going with the guitar learning?

I wanted to update this great guitar-teaching thread with something new I think I've learned. That is, old guitar strings ain't necessarily bad. It's a common suggestion that you replace your strings often. I dunno whether that's from session guitar players or ? But that's been the usual thinking.

I last replaced my acoustic guitar strings Oct. 2019. They still sound fine to my ears. That got me to thinking: why frequently replace the strings if they still sound fine? They don't replace piano strings. I recognize that fresh strings usually have a crisper/brighter sound. (I'll replace all 6 when one eventually breaks.)

Guitar strings are subject to skin oils, dirt, dead skin, etc. Piano strings are not. If you never play the guitar, play it rarely or wash your hands regularly before playing, there really is no need to change the strings. They can also be cleaned with a mild wipe as well.

I just want to add; I hate changing strings. They take a long time to settle in and keep from stretching. Once they are finally 'broke in', I rarely have to tune my guitars. Also, changing just one seems to affect the others tuning. Probably because of the strain on the neck and other hardware. It ain't much, but I can hear it and feel it.

If these were no-Covid times, I would probably seek out a local teacher, but do not want to take a chance on being with a teacher in close proximity in a small music room. For goals, I just want to be able to play some songs mostly for self entertainment and see where that takes me. I probably do not have enough motivation to learn how to read classical sheet music, but a tab or chord chart should be doable.

I have been off and on with the guitar and now 61. One thing good about COVID is that I picked up the guitar and have plenty of time to practice. Youtube videos are out there on every aspect of learning guitar. One of the best things I saw online is to play a while and then stretch out your hand and arm muscles. Shake your hand a bit. Then play again. This helped my finger a lot as they would cramp up frequently. Youtube!

The high 3 strings break more frequently. It is not too difficult to change out all three, maybe each day until you're gold. It's also a good time to clean the fretboard.

If you're truly happy with whatever sounds you have in your guitar you can clean the strings with a proper cleaning pad and solution. If you have a sweet guitar and want to protect it, don't use water of any kind on the guitar or its metal components.

I just want to add; I hate changing strings. They take a long time to settle in and keep from stretching. Once they are finally 'broke in', I rarely have to tune my guitars. Also, changing just one seems to affect the others tuning. Probably because of the strain on the neck and other hardware. It ain't much, but I can hear it and feel it.

I used to hate changing strings but am a lot faster at it now. I change all of them at the same time, it usually takes 10 - 12 minutes. What really helps is that I cut a piece of Styrofoam that I use to support the neck while allowing the body of the guitar to lie flat.

For me I've found that strings settle in quickly these days (as opposed to years ago), they usually hold tuning within a day or two. Do you stretch them after installing?

If I break a string, which is extremely rare as I play gently then I usually change all the strings so that they all have the same wear and "brightness".

Since I started to play pickleball last year that took off and the guitar has fallen by the wayside. I should restart my efforts, although my patience to practice enough was lacking.

Back
Top Bottom