Tired of classical and pop music

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How about sharing some of your favorite foot stompin, knee slappin, fiddlin' and get on down home music ?

I only know about a few bands, for instance Charlie Daniels band. I saw him live at the NYS Fair a few years back.
I want to expand my horizons a bit.

Rules? It's gotta get yer feet moving. :D

We all just love Steve Earle. Good rhythm, good stories. My 4-year-old's favorite is:

YouTube - Galway Girl Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle

Also, Steve Goodman wrote some great stuff. I particularly love "men who love women who love men," but it's not on YouTube that I could find (probably with good reason). But, here's Steve and Jethro with "Tico Tico.":

YouTube - Steve Goodman & Jethro Burns - Tico Tico

Bruce Springsteen has an awesome album of American Folk music; you can listen to samples of most tracks at Amazon. The album is called We shall overcome: The Seeger Sessions and the sample link is: Amazon.com : Music Sampler

It's hard to go wrong with the Stanley Brothers. I like the tribute album Long Journey Home: Bluegrass Songs of the Stanley Brothers, by various artists. The Amazon sampling site is:
Amazon.com : Music Sampler

And for some just awesome toe-tapping music, there's a Bluegrass Today CD at Amazon; I checked it out from the library and it has since gone missing, so now I have to buy it. Its sampler on Amazon is at:
Amazon.com : Music Sampler

My personal fave on this one is track 6, Patty Loveless's 'The boys are back in town.' The sampler doesn't do it justice.

I whole-heartedly agree with all of the above selections.

Being a Jazz fan, I find that WWOZ in New Orleans and KUVO in Denver has, throughout the week, several DJ's that play this type of music.

(In fact, as I write this, "Iko Iko" is playing on KUVO. And earlier was a Jazz rendition of Marley's "Stir It Up.")

WWOZ 90.7 FM : New Orleans' Jazz & Heritage Station : Dedicated to Bringing New Orleans Music to the Universe
Click on "Listen Online"

jazz89 KUVO Public Radio
Click on "Listen Now"

Anyway, check their "Program Guide" for your favorite.

I am particularly fond of "Origins: Orgy in Rythyms" Sunday afternoons on KUVO. Nothing matches the "feel good" music of the Carribean. (Check the Play List)

"Salsa con Jazz" is also pretty rythmic.

It seems to me that Honolulu also has some pretty good stations for this type of music. However, I try to confine myself to those stations that play local musicians -- Hawaii's music is, for the most part, upbeat.

Here's an internet radio station called Last.Fm - free to the US, UK, and Germany. it will find similar music and make suggestions based on artists or songs you like. Learns what you don't like also and will put a Firefox toolbar up for you FF users. Happy music for all tastes!
Fire.fm - Features

Here's an internet radio station called Last.Fm - free to the US, UK, and Germany. it will find similar music and make suggestions based on artists or songs you like. Learns what you don't like also and will put a Firefox toolbar up for you FF users. Happy music for all tastes!

Sounds a lot like Pandora. I listen to that quite often.

A great source of single, hard to find, songs is Napster. Try, for example, entering "Saffire" (Artist) and then selecting "Saffire-The Uppity Blues Women" and check out "Too Much Butt." (for one pair of jeans.)

harley,

Thanks for the Doug Kershaw YouTube link! I enjoyed a couple of hours following links to other videos starting with that one--and a few following Steve Martin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom