Toyota Camry

Yep. Camry = Japanese LeSabre :)

And that is my problem with toyota. When we were looking at minivans, we test drove the toyota and the Honda. While DW was driving the Toyota, if I closed my eyes I could have believed I was riding in my dad's 1970s Olds 98. No thanks. My FIL's 2000s vintage (not sure of the year but no more than 5 years old) camry is the same way. I am by no means a car fanatic, but the ride and control are just too squishy.

Eagle,
I ask my mechanic what car I should drive. He said a Ford or Chevy. I told him that surprised me. He said, 'Well I did not say what I would by, a Honda or Toyota, you ask what you should buy!'
I got a Ford F-150 truck, circa 1997, so I got the Ford part covered. DW "advised" me to use the cash for clunkers deal and get a small car with lots of MPG. I resisted, and as of this morning it appears that the Clunkers Program is out of cash. I like my clunker, it's paid for since 2003.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/31clunkers.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

And that is my problem with toyota. When we were looking at minivans, we test drove the toyota and the Honda. While DW was driving the Toyota, if I closed my eyes I could have believed I was riding in my dad's 1970s Olds 98. No thanks. My FIL's 2000s vintage (not sure of the year but no more than 5 years old) camry is the same way. I am by no means a car fanatic, but the ride and control are just too squishy.

According to edmunds.com, the Camry SE model has a sports-tuned suspension though the XLE suspension is "buttery soft" like the LE suspension. So has anybody tried the SE? Is it really any better?

Yep. Camry = Japanese LeSabre :)

My mother drove a LeSabre back in the 1960's when they first came out. The suspension was as described. However, it (well, hers anyway) had a huge engine that provided a lot of acceleration considering how heavy the LeSabre was. My brother, (who later accumulated a room full of trophies from his exploits as a race car driver) took it to 160+ mph out on the freeway without modifying it. He said he would have taken it faster but didn't want to do anything rash. :2funny:

Hopefully my 4-cylinder Camry Solara is more gutless. I wouldn't know. The Solara suspension is fine with me - - not a racing suspension by any means, though.

Last edited:
According to edmunds.com, the Camry SE model has a sports-tuned suspension though the XLE suspension is "buttery soft" like the LE suspension. So has anybody tried the SE? Is it really any better?

I was going to mention the same thing but was hoping to find some actual reviews (no luck). We actually had driven and were in the process of soliciting quotes for an SE. One of the dealers called and asked if we were aware of the sports-tuned suspension and suggested that we would be happier w/ the
LE or XLE. Don't know if he was really worried about us or maybe he didn't have any SEs in stock to sell.

Unfortunately, the short answer to your question is I don't know. We didn't drive any slalom-type course or even
curvy mountain roads and perhaps you have to be somewhat skilled in looking for the differences or at least do an A/B test
back to back but we didn't notice anything extraordinary in the
short test drive. The LE seems fine for the normal driving
we do.

I did learn that (at least for 2004), the LE doesn't have any
"coon/possum" (fog) lights as do the SE/XLE. DW fell in love w/ those when we were buying a car for DD while she was in school in NH..........and I got a lot of static bc I didn't upgrade to XLE. Not too many coons where we live.

She does some private duty nursing on week ends that takes her out in all weather at some considerable distances, sometimes up into the mountains around here. She doesn't want to get a crossover vehicle or small SUV which I initially suggested she consider.
A front-wheel drive car (like the Camry) with good all-season tires can handle most winter driving (e.g. city/suburban streets that are plowed and salted to an acceptable level) without any trouble--you just have to drive cautiously.

If your friend will be driving in inclement weather on roads that don't see a plow as often, and she doesn't want an SUV or a crossover, she might want to consider a Subaru. The all-wheel drive (AWD) can help keep her going in some of the slippery stuff where a front-wheel drive (and certainly a rear-wheel drive) would be spinning the wheels and digging in. Subarus are competent, well-built cars that last a long time. I don't believe they are as trouble-free as Toyotas, and the AWD costs a few MPG (more things for the engine to turn=more friction=fewer MPGs).

If your friend will be driving in inclement weather on roads that don't see a plow as often, and she doesn't want an SUV or a crossover, she might want to consider a Subaru. The all-wheel drive (AWD) can help keep her going in some of the slippery stuff where a front-wheel drive (and certainly a rear-wheel drive) would be spinning the wheels and digging in. Subarus are competent, well-built cars that last a long time. I don't believe they are as trouble-free as Toyotas, and the AWD costs a few MPG (more things for the engine to turn=more friction=fewer MPGs).

I will vouch for the all weather performance. Went through many a snowstorm with solid grip and no real problems with my Subie. As for reliability, Subaru is generally competing with Toyota, Honda and Buick for most reliable brand, according to Consumer Reports.

SC--my daughter has a '95 Subaru Legacy wagon ....still alive and going.
She had it originally in NH, then in Denver........nice icy places...I think she would agree w/ your comments about driving in those conditions.
Partly bc of her experiences, I got a 2006 Outback wagon. This is only one sample point fwiw.............while I still like the car, there were 3-4
"infant" problems that came w/ the car............A/C didn't work after
possession although ok during test drive; taken to dealer, fixed, returned
next wk for same problem; same fix; same problem. Taken to another dealer farther away.....consulted factory....found wrong material o-ring used; corrected, working ever since. P/S fluid slow leak; replaced rack
and pinion?; excessive wear on one tire; corrected alignment, replaced tire for free; seems like one other thing I don't recall now.

Not terribly impressed w/ quality of initial build (Indiana, I think). Not impressed w/ first dealer repair capability which apparently was well known to many but not me. Very impressed w/ 2nd dealer and warranty...
all repairs done, no charge, no hassle.

Agree w/ your comments about mpg.........DW Camry gets about 20mpg
for local driving. My Outback gets about 16. Also recommended fuel is premium for Outback (6 cyl engine) vs regular for Camry V6.

On my 4th Toyota - a Camry Solara. I went with Toyota years and years ago (when Honda was #1 even); because I asked 3 auto mechanics that owned their own shops for ages what cars they saw the least, since I was in the market to buy. All said Honda first, then Toyota. Probably would be switched around by now.
When Camry's first came out, another friend's husband, also a mechanic, was marveling at how well the Camry was made. I concur after 6 years.
No problems here with it at all. Just normal maintenance things so far.

My 2010 Camry SE. I just picked it up a couple hours ago. Not enough driving time yet to tell much about how it drives. I just got off work, and will be checking it out thoroughly shortly!:)

2010CamrySE_2.jpg

2010CamrySE_3.jpg

2010CamrySE_4.jpg

2010CamrySE_5.jpg

Last edited:
My mother drove a LeSabre back in the 1960's when they first came out. The suspension was as described. However, it (well, hers anyway) had a huge engine that provided a lot of acceleration considering how heavy the LeSabre was. My brother, (who later accumulated a room full of trophies from his exploits as a race car driver) took it to 160+ mph out on the freeway without modifying it. He said he would have taken it faster but didn't want to do anything rash. :2funny:

Methinks your DB was imaginative or the speedo didn't work.

Edit to add:
I don't think any Buick of the 60's had a speedometer that maxed above 120 (or possibly 130)

We've had a 95 Camry that we let go when it went over 200K miles. We stopped doing repairs to it at about 120K. The valve stems needed replacing, but after another 50K miles, the engine fixed that on its own. The struts were always clunky, but we didn't care. The hubcaps kinda disappeared somewhere and a mirror lost a fight with the side of the garage. The antenna went looking for the hubcaps and we never saw it again.

It repaired rather well after collisions. We had a Nissan Maxima at the same time. It was a lot more fun to drive and little more up-to-date even though it was 6 years older.

My 2010 Camry SE. I just picked it up a couple hours ago. Not enough driving time yet to tell much about how it drives. I just got off work, and will be checking it out thoroughly shortly!:)

Marty, your new Camry is BEAUTIFUL!!! Have fun and let us know how it handles. :D

Nice car, except for the Wisc. lic. plates.:D Did you just buy the house or selling the house? That's the cleanest garage I've ever seen.

Nice car, except for the Wisc. lic. plates.:D Did you just buy the house or selling the house? That's the cleanest garage I've ever seen.

LOL...I'm moving BACK down south, where I belong in about 3 weeks (Texas), so the WI temp plate won't be there very long. I'm a renter at the house, the owner has been trying to sell it the whole time I've been living there (1 year) with no luck. Before I came along & offered to rent it, it had been for sale for a year, after he built it as a spec house. The market's bad here in Janesville, WI. Last Dec the local GM plant closed & put a large percentage of locals out of work. Not much in the garage, because

1. Prior to moving to WI last year, we had a big garage sale.
2. Wife moved back south 3 months ago & some stuff went with her, she's waiting for me.
3. Some of it's in the basement.

Last edited:
Marty, your new Camry is BEAUTIFUL!!! Have fun and let us know how it handles. :D

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the color at first, but now I really like it! DW drives an '07 Camry LE, and now that I've taken the SE out & driven a little bit, I can tell the difference in the suspension & especially cornering. I'm pretty sure I prefer the SE in these areas, but of course that's going to be an individual thing.

The SE has a few things that appealed to me over the LE, including the fog lamps mentioned, different seat construction, different engine, dual exhaust, some trim & body molding items etc, and I think I got a decent price, so that's what I went with. I decided to go with the 4 cyl engine after I was unable to get a decent price on the V-6.

The SE 4 cyl has 10 more hp than the 4 cyl in the LE. 2010 model 4 cyl is bigger than the '09 model...2.5L versus 2.4L which is an increase of 10 hp, and then the SE is tweaked for an additional 10 hp, but fuel mileage rating stays the same.

Somebody else got to put the 1st 100 miles on her, though. It had to be brought up from somewhere in IL.

Marty, thanks for the report! I'll bet the 4 cylinder has a lot more "get up and go" than one might expect and that would be my choice, were I buying a car today.

Interesting that it has different seats than the LE! Seat comfort is so important. And a different engine? Wow.

Thanks! And....while I didn't completely pay cash for it, I did get the clunker money $4500 + another $1150 from Toyota(slid in just under the wire on the clunker $$!) and did put enough cash towards the deal that I only financed $5032.06 at zero interest. I will have that paid off by this spring if I want to. Or....would it be better to use the whole 36 months since it's interest free?

Last edited:
Marty, thanks for the report! I'll bet the 4 cylinder has a lot more "get up and go" than one might expect and that would be my choice, were I buying a car today.

Interesting that it has different seats than the LE! Seat comfort is so important. And a different engine? Wow.

The SE 4 cyl. engine has 179 hp, which is 10 or 11 more than the LE 4 cyl. at 168. It's no racehorse, but it's pretty peppy. I can tell the difference between my wife's LE 4 cyl. & this one, and there's definitely a positive difference in the handling. I'd need to set the two cars side by side for a complete comparison on the seats, but the stitching is different between the '10 SE & the LE, and it could just be me, but it seems to me the seat is possibly a little firmer. Could just be me, though. After my drive through the Wisconsin countryside today, I'm thoroughly happy with my purchase. I'm glad I chose the SE over the LE. The redesign of the '10 engines over last year's models seems to be a big improvement. My wife's LE, which has the same engine & transmission as the '09 has some hesitation at takeoff, which 2 Toyota dealers told me was normal and there was nothing they could do, just part of the design. It's a little irritating. I was happy to find that particular issue has been eliminated with the 2010 model engine & also, the new 6 speed automatic transmission that's standard this year. Seems like a really good combination. The engine's smooth running too.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the SE comes standard with 17" alloy wheels/tires, while the LE has 16's. I like the car sitting a little taller, since I'm kinda tall & it helps me getting in/out. I think it looks a little better with the 17's. The front mesh style blackout grille & the fog lamps really set it apart, too, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks! And....while I didn't completely pay cash for it, I did get the clunker money $4500 + another $1150 from Toyota(slid in just under the wire on the clunker $$!) and did put enough cash towards the deal that I only financed $5032.06 at zero interest. I will have that paid off by this spring if I want to. Or....would it be better to use the whole 36 months since it's interest free?

I have seen these interest free deals and if it was me I would take advantage of it and let my cash hopefully make money .

Back
Top Bottom