Tricks for Unscrewing Rusty Screws?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I would like to remove this corrugated fiberglas covering for a woodshed. The screws are too rusty to be unscrewed.

8nMHpWx.png

Any ideas?

Maybe I should use a reciprocating saw and cut under the wiggle board:

itzFwFZ.png

If I could remove them intact, someone else could use them and keep them out of the landfill.

These are definitely too far gone for reuse. The easiest way to remove the fiberglass is to drill the head off of the screws.
Select a drill bit about 1/16" larger than half the screw head diameter. This will allow you to drill through the head and pop it off without enlarging the hole in the fiberglass. You should only need to drill as deep as the thickness of the screw head.

Good luck!

Angle grinder...grind off each screw's head. I presume you mean for someone to reuse the panels, not the screws!

Wear leather gloves and eye protection!

My success rate at drilling off screw heads is dismal; always goes off to the side and enough of the head remains to get me reciting a string of banned words.

Last edited:
The first thing I'd try is unscrewing them. If they come out...great. If the head snaps off that's also good as you will still be able to remove the panels without the screw head in the way.

A reciprocating will also work if you can slide a blade under.

Another option is to drill through the screws...you will make the holes slightly bigger but no big deal.

They also make a stripped screw extractor if none of the above works:

https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Remove...rew+extractor&qid=1562973959&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Depending on where the screws are located and how rusty each one is, you may find a combination of different methods is required.

Mix up a small batch of 50% acetone and 50% ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Take cotton swab and soak the screw heads in the solution trying to get some fluid to migrate into the hidden screw tread. Wait a day, then try to unscrew them with a good fitting bit.

If this doesn't work, apply the surgery or impact driver above (take your pick of the method).

I presume you mean for someone to reuse the panels, not the screws!

Wear leather gloves and eye protection!

+ 1

also breathing protection fibre-glass splinters/dust is not good for the lungs

intead of drilling you could try 'esi-outs ' (yes they are meant for stuff like engine bolts but if the head of the screw snaps off you still win )

unless the screws had been originally painted with something nasty , the iron/steel rusting in the garden might help some plants grow

I would probably cut the fiberglass panels away with tin snips. Then you'll have screws sticking out, that you can easily remove with locking pliers, if the heads are stripped.

I might be a redneck but I would just yank the fiberglass off leaving the screws and then twist the screws out with pliers.

I'd use Vice-Grips if I could compress the fiberglass hump enough to lock onto the screw head. Otherwise, I'd try an electric impact gun, pressing really hard as it hammers. Last ditch, I'd drill the heads off, then use Vice -Grips on the shank.

I might be a redneck but I would just yank the fiberglass off leaving the screws and then twist the screws out with pliers.

i am guessing the fibre-glass sheeting is to be reused by the OP or somebody else

if not a hammer from inside ( still with protection ) and then use pliers to remove the screws would work

I would probably cut the fiberglass panels away with tin snips. Then you'll have screws sticking out, that you can easily remove with locking pliers, if the heads are stripped.

I'd use Vice-Grips if I could compress the fiberglass hump enough to lock onto the screw head. Otherwise, I'd try an electric impact gun, pressing really hard as it hammers. Last ditch, I'd drill the heads off, then use Vice -Grips on the shank.

+4 On the use of locking pliers. Usually you can get hold of the enough of the head to just twist them out. Especially since they’re screwed into wood, they should come out pretty easy.

Be careful. Fiberglass dust ! Rub finger on the fiberglass panel, look at it, it will sparkle! Just removed my Mom's old fiberglass panels.

1. Tall ladder. So you can push down straight, firm, with your drill. If lucky most screws
will come right out. They are not that long.

2. AS mentioned earlier, The ones that are stripped. Use correct size vise grip.
And just push down and grab the screw. (the fiberglass will just crush).
And again, if you are "higher", much easier to "pull up and twist" the screw.

3. Then, gently lower the fiberglass panel to the ground. AVOID, the fine glass dust.

4. Once on the ground, I sprayed the panels with glue. Then cut up and put in trash.

5. Good luck. This worked for me.

I might try a "screw out" or similar screw extractor. Otherwise I like the red neck rip-off-the-panel and vise grip pliers idea.

You dont want to use the 12 HF impact tool or penetrating lube.

Get a battery powered 1/4" impact gun, best case is the screw comes out next best heads break off, heads break off panels will come off if putting something down gribd down the stickup.

I agree the impact driver is a good idea. Since those screws are into wood, that makes it a lot easier. If the head of the screw is too far gone to get a phillips bit in for good grip. you could also use a thin rotary cutoff blade to make a long slot in the screw. Then use a large std screwdriver to turn it out. I've done that many times and the only potential downside is that half of the head may break off. If so break the other half off and then that hole is clear to remove the panel.
Cutoff tool like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-heavy-duty-electric-cut-off-tool-63023.html

I have air powered, but the above is electric. Either can work to make the slot in the head for the std screwdriver.

Those fiberglass corrugated sheets don't look like savers to me - especially after you have them off and with screw holes and cracks. Your recip saw and a nasty demo blade and cutting through the wiggle board joint sounds like the best plan. Waste no time on it. The wood from the framing is what looks like keeper stuff to me.

How come this thread appears twice?

+5

That's better than the angle grinder (less messy and less noisy and less dangerous). Much easier than trying to re-slot the screws or use an impact driver on a rusty screw that probably would crumble.

How come this thread appears twice?
I'm not seeing two. Screen shot?

For similar problems I've had very good success with soaking them in Liquid Wrench.

Back
Top Bottom