Tried Raindance cleaner wax?

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Years ago, Raindance car wax in the blue tin was my go-to cleaner wax. It left a good, long-lasting shine, and was great at removing road tar, tree sap, and just about anything else on my car's finish. Didn't go on and rub off quite as easily as other waxes, but I'd use it to clean my car's finish once a year and to spot-clean when necessary.

I haven't seen that same wax for many years, and so have tried other waxes that claim to be cleaner waxes, such as Turtlewax and Meguiar's, but they don't seem to clean worth a darn. Yeah, they go on smooth and creamy, rub off easily, and leave a decent shine, but they don't remove road tar, and I can still feel speckles of tree sap all over my car.

I see that Raindance offers a couple different kinds of wax, a carnuba wax and a cleaner wax that also contains carnuba. Has anyone tried their cleaner wax? How about another brand that really does clean? Reviews of Raindance on Amazon are mixed, and I'm reluctant to buy yet another container of wax that claims to clean without some kind of reference.

I used to use Rain Dance but haven't even seen it for decades. What I did stumble across about 15 years ago was using a clay bar, which makes a huge difference. This being West Virginia there are plenty of railroad tracks around so rail dust is an issue too.

I'd never heard of either until I read the service manual for the pickup truck that was my retirement present.

I was hoping for a one-step process, but I'll look into clay barring. Thanks guys!

Biased as a former product manager of Kit Car Wax, I know it is a well made product (I doubt they made major changes to the formula so I expect it will work well). It was originally formulated by Johnson Wax. It compared to Rain Dance at the time (which was also a good product).

I did look it up on Amazon and reviews are still good.

I was hoping for a one-step process, but I'll look into clay barring. Thanks guys!

I found that using a clay bar makes a huge difference, to the point that it is now hard to imagine not using one before waxing. I can definitely feel the difference in the surface of the paint before & after using the clay bar.

Just search on "auto detailing" or similar will get you to plenty of good instructions. It is important to use the fluid with the clay bar to lubricate it and the surface. The fluid seems to be something along the lines of a thin wax. It doesn't cost much and a little goes a long way so I don't worry about the cost.

I second the motion to go with clay bar. it's an extra step but worth it imho. I've had good luck after clay bar with Ultima Paint Prep + followed by Ultima Paint Guard +. Yes, a three step process but lasts and lasts. Easy to redo on occasion with just the final step which is easy and quick.

Looks like waxing my car just went from a 2-beer to a 3- or 4-beer process!

Rain Dance couldn't keep up with newer easier spray on whipe off formulas...

So this thread prompted me to go out and get some car wax, which is a good thing since I cannot recall when last I had waxed my car.
So I get this spray-on stuff called Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. The label says it can be applied even in full sun, which is kind of cool. It sprays on with the consistency of windex and wipes off with little effort. Which does not square with my experience of feeling sore in the arms the day after a good paste wax session. And my hands didn't smell of anything after doing the entire car. No waxy feeling fingers (I know I should wear gloves). I really cannot see much of a difference in the finish, although its a 2016 so the paint is pretty nice anyway. Part of me can't help but think I just applied a milky water to the finish which had no effect. Oh well, at least it got me off the couch for a couple hours.

+1

Highly rated, easy to apply and buff out, long-lasting great shine and inexpensive.

+1 on NuFinish as well. I get about 6 months before the water stops beading like it used to - and that's my cue for another coat.

Back
Top Bottom