Tropical Storm Isaias Approaching East Florida

Here in inland NC, we did fine. Winter storms have been worse. We got a lot of rain: 3.2" at my gauge. However, the state overall was not slammed with much more. Some flooding will occur, but nothing massive like previous storms.

The biggest impact is due to a tornado that spun up, and there is damage right on the coast at ground zero of the landing.

For those affected, it is bad, and my heart is with them. Overall, NC did OK.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best! Actually your location looks like it is going to get really hammered, and thoughts of you and your DW are what inspired me to revive this thread. Glad you are bringing in some of the potential missiles.

As it turns out, we had wind gusts up above 60 mph. Major tree damage in my neighborhood, with trees down for at least half the houses on my street. We had a big limb snap off one of the maples in front of the house. It dealt a glancing blow to the porch - knocked the railing askew and pushed out a few balusters, as well as denting the copper gutter in a couple places. Lucky for us, that was the worst of it. I have spent the last four hours lopping and chopping and sawing and gathering and piling. My neighbor and I cleared the fall in front of my house and then cleared a fall right next to his garage. We have huge piles of logs and leaves out in front of our houses. I'll probably help the neighbor on the other side tomorrow. Two big maples snapped off and fell on his garage. Right now he has a small army of his son's friends there helping to clean up. But it's getting dark, so there will be much more to do tomorrow. Having all these trees is nice for keeping our houses cool and helps make the neighborhood an inviting one, but there is a price to pay when we get these big cyclonic storms.

Reactions: W2R
Here west of Philly there were power outages in places, but fortunately not for us. A lot of rain and wind, but no damage. I heard there was a lot of flooding in the area of streets.

It came through here this morning, knocked out power around 10:30. It came back on around 2 pm or so. Rained enough to make the swimming pool overflow. A limb from a locust tree came down on one of the sheds, but didn't do any damage.

The sun came out by early afternoon, but we've had intermittent fits of rain here and there.

The biggest casualty though, is that it seems like the power outage messed up the Verizon Fios DVR. It won't let me record anything, and everything that had been recorded on it is not showing up. So, I'm wondering if the hard drive fried.

I had gone to our beach house in MD for some neglected maintenance this past weekend. Pulled a van full of weeds, added salt to the regen system, planted 3 crape myrtles trees, things like that. Left DW home with the dogs. I didn't watch any TV or even read any internet news, so was quite surprised to be awakened at 7 this morning by my phone beeping about a tornado warning. We had massive wind and a fair amount of rain. Trees down all over the place, although my crape myrtles survived. They're pretty small. But a potted clematis weighing at least 50 lbs blew all the way across the yard, and a canopy on the back deck was shredded. Lots of leaf and branch debris. A couple of neighbors lost some shingles. Luckily most of my deck furniture was already battened down since we'd been gone for a month.

I was caught with my pants down on this one, and consider myself lucky to have gotten off so easily. I guess I should check in on the news once or twice a week.

Here we are less than 24 hours after the storm ran through, knocking out power to half the town. We took a very early run out to our garden to see that the corn was mostly knocked flat. Then, we worked hard to add all the smaller but much more numerous fallen branches to the existing big brush pile in the front of the house that we had created yesterday in clearing the very large limb that fell on the porch and across the front walk. Our neighbor with the two trees atop his garage had a couple friends come over with big chainsaws early this morning. By noon, he had everything chopped up in 18 inch lengths and taken out to the curb, along with all the smaller brush that his son and friends took out late yesterday. We got a text from the town emergency system at noon that they would be picking up debris over the next days and weeks. By 1 pm, the back hoe/front end loader and dump trucks had come down our street and picked up everyone's logs and brush. It's times like this when I feel I really do get value from those high property taxes.

Glad to hear everyone is fine, there was no flooding and damage was not severe. I grew up in Ct and the maple trees in the front yard are one of my fondest memories.

Back
Top Bottom