Tropical Storm Isaias Approaching East Florida

Yeah, we're starting to get that intermittent pre-storm stuff. Torrential rain for 5-10 mins, then a 30 min break. repeat.

The outer bands are just starting to hit here, so still a way to go. Streets are bare, though, so it looks like everyone is snuggled up safe and sound at home, or sheltered somewhere.

Latest advisory said it was down to a tropical storm, a minor inconvenience for us Floridians :). Needs to get up to Daytona to affect us, it may increase by then, I think Late tomorrow or Monday for us. But it also slowed down to 10mph.

Hey, at least it’s down to 70mph winds now, and the wind field doesn’t look nearly as large.

The path it’s on will impact all five properties we own. I’m glad it’s not a stronger storm!

Nada. Don’t you just hate it when you get all dressed up and ready for a night on the town and your date is a no-show.

Last edited:
Nada. Don’t you just hate it when you get all dressed up and ready for a night on then town and your date is a no-show.
When it comes to hurricanes as dates, being stood up is always a blessing.

Remember TS Fay Though? I remember having to drain 4" from my pool about 4 or 5 times in the space of 3 days!

Nada. Don’t you just hate it when you get all dressed up and ready for a night on then town and your date is a no-show.
Well, I would say you guys dodged a bullet! Very lucky!

Even the rain bands aren’t nearly as large or strong as what we had with Hanna, and it looks like most of the heavy rain will be offshore.

I’m very happy for you guys, plus me of course as central GA shouldn’t see anything at all. Knock on wood!

Yeah, looks like most of Florida dodged a bullet this time. But the Carolinas and northward could still get hit fairly hard, especially with heavy rains and flooding.

On a related matter for those of you who have garden plants, is there a general top wind speed where the plants are damaged?
I realize there are many types of plants. Not referring to palms.

Depends on the plant, of course. The shorter the better. Some trees have stronger roots than others. Also depends on whether the soil was already saturated. Newly planted trees are the most vulnerable.

On a related matter for those of you who have garden plants, is there a general top wind speed where the plants are damaged?
I realize there are many types of plants. Not referring to palms.

I have lived on Sarasota Bay for almost 20 years and the only damage to foliage we had from a hurricane was one of the palms was hit by lighting during Irma . I hated that tree and was glad to see it gone .

I have lived on Sarasota Bay for almost 20 years and the only damage to foliage we had from a hurricane was one of the palms was hit by lighting during Irma . I hated that tree and was glad to see it gone .

Haha good to know. Just getting into gardening this year and planted many plants, which range from inches to 3 feet off the ground.

During Irma, we took a long steady beating at TS force with gusts for at least 12 hours. Many of my garden shrubs looked stripped bare the next morning, and leaf shreds clotted up a lot of areas. But they all grew back.

I have several cassia trees which never fully recovered as they all took too much of a lean after all those hours. But it's not a wind-friendly tree so I know it was a gamble when I grew them.

It is supposed to be right off our coast at the moment, but other than a little wind and cloudy skies, one would never know it. No rain.... "Yet", but that is forecast. We have not walked down to the beach to take a look.

It is supposed to be right off our coast at the moment, but other than a little wind and cloudy skies, one would never know it. No rain.... "Yet", but that is forecast. We have not walked down to the beach to take a look.

Yeah, it looks like most of the wind and rain is out in the ocean, on the east side of the rotation, as you would expect. It's supposed to gain some strength today and make landfall near the SC/NC border later - they may feel more effects of this than Florida did.

Thinking of those ER forum members who are or were in the path of Hurricane Isaias, and hoping that they and their communities are OK. :(

Thinking of those ER forum members who are or were in the path of Hurricane Isaias, and hoping that they and their communities are OK. :(

So far a lot of rain, some wind and tornado and flash flood warnings. A good day to stay indoors.

Northerners stay safe!

For us they were and are predicting high winds and a lot of rain, but in fact we got very little, today looks like a good beach day in fact.

The storm is barreling up the coast to New England. Being right on the coast and on the east side of the storm, I expect we'll get wind gusts exceeding 50 mph this afternoon. I brought all my potted tomatoes and eggplants into the garage last night, took down my hanging plants, and have laid down all the porch furniture (rockers on their side, tables upside down). My only concerns, as always, are the very large maple trees that surround my house.

The storm is barreling up the coast to New England. Being right on the coast and on the east side of the storm, I expect we'll get wind gusts exceeding 50 mph this afternoon. I brought all my potted tomatoes and eggplants into the garage last night, took down my hanging plants, and have laid down all the porch furniture (rockers on their side, tables upside down). My only concerns, as always, are the very large maple trees that surround my house.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best! Actually your location looks like it is going to get really hammered, and thoughts of you and your DW are what inspired me to revive this thread. Glad you are bringing in some of the potential missiles.

Wow, looked like it barreled right over Washington DC and Philadelphia still with 70mph winds!

we survived here on Patuxent River, friend up the bay didn't though, tree THROUGH house.. waterspout!
We got 6" of rain.

Back
Top Bottom