Uber-nomics

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just watched this fascinating show on Al Jazeeera TV...
A new look at the Economics of business as a changing scene. From the vertical design of a large business, to a new, growing, evolving, lateral design that could well be a model for the future.

The discussion was about Uber, and the incredible growth/value curve, but there was an overview that looked at the concept of a supply/demand driven business that by default, changes by itself, independent of a central control.

Uber, of course is in a state of transition, with automatic growth through success, but changing by the day, as it adapts to customer needs and problems that arise in the process.
Cited in the discussion were a number of similar types of demand driven growth, also using the internet as a base: Amazon, EBay and others such as Craigs list. The suggestion is that the big companies are overbuilt, over staffed, and too steeped in basic rules of operation to make the changes that are necessary to keep up with the changes in the economy and customer preferences.

The exciting part of the story was that the possibilities are endless... massages, hairdressing, home business operations and networking as in a spider web, of almost every service and product the the public needs or wants.

Am thinking of a central brain trust to organize and oversee a decentralized wide area operation... changing by the moment to adjust to the marketplace.

But it's already there!!!

No it isn't!!!!!!!!! Most businesses are still mired in bureaucracy. Imagination and creativity is the basis for Uber-nomics. Small town businesses, home businesses, specialty services, brought into success frameworks on a wide area basis... even national and international.

Lots to be worked out, legally, practically and money wise, but part of a profit sharing, results driven concept that could be the future stimulus to the economy.

[I am remembering the sudden need for cast iron wood stoves during the 1970's fuel crisis. The Chinese organized individual home contractors to cast the individual parts in home, backyard kilns... to produce the parts and deliver to workers who would put them all together and ship them... all in a matter of less than 6 weeks, for arrival to ports in the US.]

I think the TV interview was with an author of a new book (maybe) Uber-nomics... not sure of that.

Anyway, this could be something to watch. If Uber goes public, it may be a bellwether for the future with a similar flexible construct.

OOPS!... after writing all of this, I looked it up on Google and found that I was re-inventing the wheel... Oh well...:blush:

http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/uber-nomics/

Last edited:
You do bring up the most interesting subjects, imoldernu. :greetings10:

The rise of collaboration as a driver of economic and social change has been ongoing for some years. An earlier, fascinating book from 2006 might be of interest.

WIKINOMICS | ABOUT THE BOOK

We can see this in many domains. I spent the last decade of my career collaborating and networking with people outside my own organization on an unprecedented scale and even wrote a research article about the model. Amazon was of course a leader among firms in pulling together customers and merchandise without the big box store. Even ISIS works on this model, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wonder if people to people exchanges will be outlawed or laws written to tie them up in red tape. We see it already...established businesses that are undercut (taxi services) will lobby to prevent competition.

thanks for the link - great article

I'm thinking this may be a fit for the professional services industry - Uber CPA, Uber Attorney, etc.

I used a sort of "Uber" house/garage organizer yesterday - my wife was thrilled

Back
Top Bottom