UM Bodily injury insurance question.

exnavynuke

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I get "uninsured motorist" car/motorcycle insurance covers the costs if someone without insurance jacks up my car. I'm a bit confused on the necessity of "uninsured motorist Bodily Injury" coverage for motorcycle insurance however.

I have VA healthcare that will take care of any approved or emergency bills. I also have my HDHP health care plan through BCBS of Georgia. Is paying a couple hundred bucks a year* for more medical insurance through my motorcycle insurance doing anything for me, or just giving more money to the insurance company?

Last edited:
It may cover some things that your health insurance might not. If you get into a LTC for longer than health insurance will cover. Your passenger as noted above.
Note that your health insurance will also be going after the other driver to recover what they spend on you.

There is some overlap for sure. But your out of pocket would be covered.

These are kinda the responses I was figuring might be there. I don't ride with a passenger and my max OOP costs are relatively small (the VA "should" cover everything, but if they don't my max OOP through my work insurance plan is only $2,600/year). As such, spending $250+/year on another "health insurance" seems like a bit of a waste of money.

It may cover some things that your health insurance might not.
+1

Your uninsured/underinsured motorist Bodily Injury also covers:

* Lost wages, including that of a relative who misses work to take care of you.
* Pain and suffering payments when the other driver cannot cover the judgement or cannot be found such as a hit-and-run or the oncoming driver drifts into your lane forcing you off the road and into a single vehicle accident.
* Wheelchair ramps and other home modifications due to disability
* Modifications to another vehicle due to disability
* Funeral expenses

Thanks all :) I went ahead and got the UMBI coverage as well. Now I just have to wait for the bike to be ready for delivery. :)

Don't be a tease, what are you getting?

Picked it up last night actually, a 2014 FZ6R. :dance:

212601682f9d25c57da2385ee5848da9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom