Utility Easement - please advise!

So how much are they offering you for the easement? They ARE offering you some sort of monetary compensation, right? DOT wanted to do an easement onto my property, straightening out a highway that runs along 400' of frontage. The first thing they did was ask me how much I wanted. I told them I didn't want money, I wanted an encroachment from the property onto the highway. They agreed and now I'm the only parcel that has a driveway onto the highway. This saves me about 2 miles of driving on a chip sealed road and one stop sign. My neighbors are jealous, settling for around $3,000 for the easement. (BTW, it used up maybe 10' of the property to straighten their highway along that frontage. Most of it is shoulder, not pavement, and with my driveway, they paved the shoulder all out maybe 50' past the driveway. Oh! And they paved the encroachment maybe 30' back in to where I put the driveway.)

Anyways, you got it, they want it and everything has a value. Discover how much theirs is and don't just give it away by signing anything. Besides, if they were really entitled, they would just claim eminent domain. Most utilities do this for the good of the community.

Looks like you negotiated a good deal. When the natural gas folks came to me for an easement I told them they could have it for free if they hooked my house up to the pipeline ... they laughed and declined my offer.

Looks like you negotiated a good deal. When the natural gas folks came to me for an easement I told them they could have it for free if they hooked my house up to the pipeline ... they laughed and declined my offer.

They were probably running an 8 or 10" line, not something a residential line could hook up to.

Still wondering if the easement in the OP is for their neighborhood or another neighborhood since the OP doesn't at all mention having to run an underground electrical line to the house.

They were probably running an 8 or 10" line, not something a residential line could hook up to.

30 inches. Since they were burying it in a wetland, the pipe was wrapped in 4 or 5 inches of concrete as well to ensure it wouldn't work its way to the surface. So tapping into it was an unlikely prospect. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask...

Back
Top Bottom