Vehicle thoughts, need some input !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm currently driving a 2015 Altima, bought new and has less than 20K miles. The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.

Are you looking for adjustable seats with both height and lumbar support, height off the ground, or something different?

Last edited:
DGF totaled our Civic and she also has back issues and thus we went with a compact SUV. We chose a middle of the line Mazda CX-5. It cost 29k all in and we we are very happy with it and it is easier to get in and out of.

I would recommend a small SUV. I went from a Honda Accord to my Subaru Forester. Getting in and out is so much easier on my back. I paid under $25k for my Forester.

Do you have another car besides the Nissan? I agree it sits a little lower. We have one and think the seat comfort for long duration is the best we have ever had. On our snowbird drives 8 to 10 hours a day with no discomfort. So many compact SUV have shorter front seats and don't give enough leg support IMO.

It's a pickle because what works for others might not work for you.

Are you looking for adjustable seats with both height and lumbar support, height off the ground, or something different?

Basically something that sits up higher and yes adjustable seats. I didn't think they made vehicles without them these days. I have no brand loyalty either.

It's a pickle because what works for others might not work for you.

I lost track of how many times someone recommended a certain vehicle for tall people like me then when I go to test drive it I can't even get my knee past the steering wheel. What works for some does not work for all. If you are not in a hurry then just go test drive a dozen different vehicles and see what works for You.

I lost track of how many times someone recommended a certain vehicle for tall people like me then when I go to test drive it I can't even get my knee past the steering wheel. What works for some does not work for all. If you are not in a hurry then just go test drive a dozen different vehicles and see what works for You.

+1
Agree OP needs to do many test drives, of a long duration, or at least 10 in & out , otherwise OP may buy another vehicle that is uncomfortable.

Perhaps OP once has narrowed it down to a choice of 1 or 2 vehicles, should rent said vehicle for 2 days and take a long trip somewhere interesting, stay overnight and drive home. A real test.

I would recommend something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer. I think a small suv like a Rav4 or cr-v would be too small. A friend of mine just got a Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Lift that keeps it higher for ingress/egress and lowers it at highway speeds for better gas mileage. He's old, has a bad back, and really likes it.

Back in April, bought a Nissan AWD Rogue. So far, like it alot. Very comfortable - easy to get in and out.

Before buying it, I had a chance to drive back from Florida to Illinois in my bil's Rogue. Rode very well at 80 -85 mph. That's all I need - guess my Mario Andretti days are over.

Most smaller SUVs are available under $40k. I like my Audi Q3, and before that my Acura RDX - both in the Honda CRV size range. Ford Escape is a nice smaller one too. The smaller ones aren't as high off the ground as say the Nissan Xterra (also like), but more than a car, enough to avoid your back issues most likely.

You really can't go wrong in that market, and the price range will determine which you prefer. If you want leather and sun roof you're generally going to be in the $35-40 range, but cloth/domestic you can find sub-30.

The small Suv's are going to have a decent about of carry space, but not as much as the mid/larger ones of course.

DW is about to pull the trigger on a Forester, trading in her 2006 CRV. She likes the small SUVs as she has glare issues at night and they get her eyes higher off the road. She can't handle the idea of a large SUV.

I notice that a lot of the Foresters I see around town are driven by older folks. Ease of entry could be one reason.

Went from BMW wagons with sport suspension (1.5" lower than standard) to a CX5 Mazda. The Mazda is much easier to back my rump into and sit and doesn't have the hoist meself out of the seat using the roof edge when exiting issue. That said, the BMWs have had far more comfortable seats. The CX5 isn't bad, think they are better than Subaru, but they just aren't near as good for long drives.

The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.
I like my Subaru Forester for the great visibility and ease of entry/exit.

You should try many different small SUVs. Comfort is a very individual thing.

In no particular order Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester. Not much help, sorry. I have owned 5 Hondas, 3 Toyotas and 1 Subaru and been very pleased with every one of them.

Last edited:
I would recommend something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer. I think a small suv like a Rav4 or cr-v would be too small. A friend of mine just got a Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Lift that keeps it higher for ingress/egress and lowers it at highway speeds for better gas mileage. He's old, has a bad back, and really likes it.

I agree, going to a little bigger vehicle than a small SUV will be the best in terms of comfort and ease of entry/exit. My DW's daily driver is a 2016 Explorer and it has worked out great for us. The Grand Cherokees are nice, although no personal experience with them.

I do have a lot of experience with our older 2008 Ford Edge, it has been a really good car, little lower than the Explorer, but still easy entry/exit. It is probably about same as the small SUV in terms of height, but is bigger inside. Either the Edge or Explorer can be bought for under $40K as a nice optioned up model, not the base.

I'm currently driving a 2015 Altima, bought new and has less than 20K miles. The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.

Timely! Yesterday we bought a 2019 Ford Escape. Late 2017 we bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox. We're quite happy with both. Pricing after incentives on both was just over $24K.

No back problems here, but it's easier getting in and out of a higher seated vehicle. Not to mention better visibility in general. I'd recently spent the last few months driving a 2012 Ford Fusion. I'd pump up the driver's seat almost to the max and still felt like I was sitting too low compared to the Equinox.

Compact SUV = shorter wheelbase = choppier ride. If I had back trouble I'd look for something with a longer wheelbase.

The most comfortable seats I've ever rested my butt on were in a Mercedes-Benz.

If you want to enter the medium size SUV market, I have been looking at the new Honda Passport and have been impressed. The EX_L model has a full suite of safety equipment through Honda Sensing, leather seats, and all of the normal power equipment. It sells for 36-38,000 depending on FWD or AWD.

I have not bought one yet, but am waiting for the fall season to sell my current 2 vehicles and buying a replacement.

My wife is buying a blue Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus after driving a F-150 truck for the past 9 years. The truck was showroom with 28k miles. Someone is getting a great deal on that used truck.

Her new car will be easier for her to climb in and out and has 3 pages of single spaced features. May have to go to a class to learn how all of it works. Warrantee is 5yr/60k miles, 10yr/100k on power train (upgraded at no charge to lifetime). She talked them into a good deal after we walked out of the dealership and started to leave. They really wanted that truck.

It should be her last car if her mileage continues to be low. It will probably take her 20 years to get 60k on it. Gas might be too expensive by then.

I even played with the idea of one for myself but my 2012 Ford Escape only has 61k miles so should be good for another 8 years. Otherwise I would go for the red one.

Cheers!

Consider these features when dealing with back or hip pain.

Hip-height seats that ease entry and exit.
NO running boards! Rocker panels only to ease entry and exit.
A steering wheel that automatically retracts and raises upon door opening
Keyless go ( to avoid bending forward)
HEATED SEATS -a wonder for alleviation of back issues
Adjustable seats with memory (what SUV does not have these today?).

Bonus points:
A seat that raises and lowers
Adjustable Foot pederast

The older me likes CPO vehicles now.

And above all - look at the crash ratings for the year and model before buying.

Atom

Perhaps OP once has narrowed it down to a choice of 1 or 2 vehicles, should rent said vehicle for 2 days and take a long trip somewhere interesting, stay overnight and drive home. A real test.

While this makes so much sense, my experience with renting cars is that they are typically not well optioned and would not likely have the nicest seats in the lineup with all the adjusters. Maybe there are car rental services that have more high end cars, but just going to Hertz or whatever may not work. I'd go test drive a number of vehicles and once I was serious, work out a long term test drive with a dealer. Maybe they have a well optioned demo they could let you have for a weekend. I agree though, it's hard to be sure about a vehicle until you've drove it awhile - certainly longer than a typical test drive.

One option is to lease. Then, worse case is you're stuck for two years. I always got a kick out of sales people when I'd go to get my next lease and their reaction when I told them I didn't want to see it or drive it, just write me up and get me out of there. I was buying high end Buicks and I'm sure if I didn't like it, I could certainly live with it for two years. Those days are gone, but Lacrosse's were nice cars.

Back
Top Bottom