Vietnam War Veterans Day

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I just learned about this fairly new day of recognition.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day – March 29

Since we have a number of vets from that war here, it seems appropriate to offer a friendly "Welcome home" to them. Ages range from 55 to 97, and the median is 68 years old.

This day is special because it doesn’t just recognize soldiers who fought in it, it recognizes anyone who was involved. Whether it’s the families who struggled back home, those working the support lines, or even other soldiers stationed elsewhere during the same time, this day is to appreciate everyone.

dad - age 81

stationed in Chợ_Lớn, Saigon, 1966-67.

remembered to put out the flag for him today.

I just learned about this fairly new day of recognition.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day – March 29

Since we have a number of vets from that war here, it seems appropriate to offer a friendly "Welcome home" to them. Ages range from 55 to 97, and the median is 68 years old.

^ +1. I am 61 and was slightly too young for that war but I have a lot of respect for the folks who went thru it.
Thanks.
I do question the age 55 quoted as the war ended in 1975 and those people would have been only 9 or 10 years old when the war ended?

I do question the age 55 quoted as the war ended in 1975 and those people would have been only 9 or 10 years old when the war ended?

That would refer to "the families who struggled back home".

Personally, I'm one of the lucky ones who came home in one piece. I had a cousin who died and a good friend who lost a leg. It was a difficult era in so many ways.

That would refer to "the families who struggled back home"....

Indeed. I am too young to have served there myself, having joined the Navy in 1977, but during the 60's my dad went to Vietnam five times while we waited back home for him. It was especially difficult for my mother; I recall her freaking out when the Tet Offensive occurred while he was there. It was difficult for us kids as well, never having a father around.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this country did not treat Vietnam vets very well at the time.
What a wonderful way to recognize them separately now.

To all that served and their families, a very heartfelt Thank You for your service and sacrifice.

Unfortunately, this country did not treat Vietnam vets very well at the time.
That's for sure. Still don't, IMO! Back then few of us had any choice in going or not. Several friends of mine never came back. Over 58,000 US "boys" were killed...Countless more wounded or scared for life. That war was an absolute turning point for me and my feelings towards the US.

Here's a link to the Vietnam War U.S. Military Fatal Casualty Statistics, if you are interested in some of the details.

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom